Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I bought an Alexander the Great Tetradrachm

I've been looking at these for a while and absolutely fell in love with this one.

Minted in Babylon between 309-300BC
Issued under Seleukos I Nikator who was of course the founder of the Seleucid "Empire"

Reverse says: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝ∆ΡΟΥ (King Alexander)
to the left of Zeus is an MI above a double bladed axe, also a monogrammed wreath below the throne

I'm getting a weird sense of deja vu posting this, I searched my name and I don't think I've posted it on here before, I know I did on facebook but not here.
=Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=

Comments

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin!

And we know who you bought it from.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• FORVM rocks! image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice.

I think every world coin collector should have one.

Mine was a posthumous one, but it was on a huge flan.

All I have now is a little drachm, which is not the best of examples.

I think the treasure room scene in The Man Who Would Be King (an excellent 1975 film I watched as a kid) was the first exposure I had to the romance of the Alexander the Great legend. (Fake though the coin in the movie was.)

Here is WB2's "Coins In Movies" page, with screenshots of the scene that grabbed my childhood imagination. (Thanks, WB2. Say, that reminds me- I need to send you that "Egyptian Magic Token" I found in that token bag, if you want it.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have this coin which is similar to the one in "The Man Who Would be King"

Obverse:
    Head of Alexander the Great wearing the Horn of Ammon

Reverse:
    Athena left on throne, resting left arm on shield, spear resting against right side
    Nike crowning name
    BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΛΥΣΙΜΑΧΟΥ (King Lysimachus)
    Monogram ΠΥΘ on left, ΚΟ on right
    ΗΜ monogram in exergue

Size: 30mm
    Weight: 17.14gm
    Catalog: Thompson 208
    Struck: BC 288-281 (about) Amphipolis

LordMarcovan, thank you, yes, PM sent

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• sweet Lysimachus Alexander!
    SmEagle1795 will be along to blow us all out of the water in 3... 2... 1...

Wait for it... image

Here is my rather modest contribution to the Alexander theme.

And my old posthumous tetradrachm, which, though also modest in grade, was something I picked up for 150 bucks around 1998. Don't think you could do that with a big tet anymore. (A drachm like the one above, maybe, but...)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Really nice!
    Becky
  • lord M, do you know when that large posthumous one was minted? under who's reign?
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>SmEagle1795 will be along to blow us all out of the water in 3... 2... 1...
    >>

0 image (kidding, but you asked for it image)

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

• << <i>

<< <i>SmEagle1795 will be along to blow us all out of the water in 3... 2... 1...
    >>

0 image (kidding, but you asked for it image)

image >>

that's a beauty, what can you tell us about it? image

<< <i>lord M, do you know when that large posthumous one was minted? under who's reign? >>

I don't remember. 'Shamed to say that when I owned it, I really knew nothing about Greek coins, and I only know the tiniest bit more now. Still quite green, in fact.

Seem to recall a placename associated with it... Temnos? Could that be it? Dunno.

I don't even know if I still have the reverse image.

• AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Congrats NiceCurrency image Here's mine , minted between 316 - 312 BC under Antigonos I in Susa , nor far from Babylon (cat.nr. Price 3854)

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • the obverses are nothing to sneeze at but look at how well struck your reverses are, wow!
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Great thread, I love these!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    my office mates are complaining because I'm drooling all over my desk. BEAUTIFUL.
  • ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Excellent coins!

Oh the history.
    And Rudyard Kipling
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I have an unrequited love affair with this issue too. It shall be requited when I have the $ to buy it.

Nice purchase!
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pick UP!

I had an Alexander tet at one time.
    Here it is pictured a few years back among a few of my ancients.

It had a few toning spots on it that I just couldn't abide so I traded it in on a gold solidus.