Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Not a bad bulk bag cherrypick for ten or twenty cents, eh?

Comments

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Nice pick!
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not bad.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice, Vf30 maybe EF40.
    worth between 20-30 Dollars
    did you find others? perhaps a 1862 Nova Scotia?
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are others, but not so much Nova Scotia, as I recall.

Pretty much everything I've been putting on eBay recently is from the same bag.

That's the nice thing about bulk bag cherrypicks. There isn't much downside.

This was the same bag that produced the Danish key date coin which brought over $200 on eBay earlier this year.

And last night I found another Danish piece that could be a $100 coin (by the catalog, though perhaps not real-world).

I'll take what I can get! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Where did you get this bulk bag?

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>Where did you get this bulk bag? >>

From a Dead King's crypt, of course. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    hmm . . . I may have to send him a PM. image

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Whoa! Solid rim, pleasing color, beautiful design. In my opinion, that's U SUCK! award worthy regardless of monetary value.

Congrats Lord M!

... this king's crypt... <nudge, wink> is it east or west of Interstate 90? image
  • Options

<< <i>Whoa! Solid rim, pleasing color, beautiful design. In my opinion, that's U SUCK! award worthy regardless of monetary value.

Congrats Lord M!

... this king's crypt... <nudge, wink> is it east or west of Interstate 90? image >>

Closer to where Interstates 26 and 40 converge in Western North Carolina. image

• Options
    Hey,

I was chatting with you through eBay yesterday about the 1944 Melbourne penny for my 1944 world coin set. You've had some great finds in this bag!! Actually after reading your initial post about the 1st Danish coin you found, I started looking through the world coin junk boxes and have had some good finds as well. Lots of fun and congrats again on this amazing bulk lot. I saw the nice Aussie pennies that came out of it!

• Options
    Of course, not all bulk bags are created equal. This was probably the best one I've come across in a decade.

This particular coin in the OP closed for $22.50, and I'm on the hook for free shipping (back to Canada, not surprisingly), and fees.

So it isn't exactly the cherrypick of the century. But I grossed more than a hundred times my original investment, so I can't complain about that.

Due to a weird eBay glitch of some kind, this auction and one of my other lots showed up as "Unsold" in My eBay this morning, with "Relist" links and all. Couldn't figure that out, because there were no reserves and both had plenty of bidders. Then, an hour or two and a page refresh later, they showed up with the rest of the sold listings. Weird.

Another weird thing is this seller of a different coin obviously copied my title, word for word, parentheses and all, changing only the grade. Must have used the "list a similar item" feature. They put their own pictures in and the title applies pretty well to their coin, too, though, so no foul there. Theirs is a nice piece, too, perhaps even a little nicer. (But not offered as a true auction with free shipping like mine was.)

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I have shied away from 99 cent/no reserve ebay auctions. Especially during the summer when things tend to be slower. 99c auctions seem to be a good way to end up with 60 cents on the dollar rather than 70-75 cents image
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    Eh, 60 or 65 cents on the dollar works for me, at least on this stuff.

I made the mistake of making some of the lots too small, though, like with some of those single Aussie pennies I sold.

When some of them went cheaply (really cheaply) and sold to overseas buyers, I ended up paying more for shipping than I sold the coins for, essentially creating unintended giveaways.

Wasn't paying enough attention to that. But oh well. Overall, it all evened out pretty well.

And a few times in the past, some of those "giveaway" auction winners have come back for more later.

• Options
    (Whoops- was sending a PM and accidentally double-posted here, instead. Too many windows open.)

• Options

<< <i>Eh, 60 or 65 cents on the dollar works for me, at least on this stuff.

I made the mistake of making some of the lots too small, though, like with some of those single Aussie pennies I sold.

When some of them went cheaply (really cheaply) and sold to overseas buyers, I ended up paying more for shipping than I sold the coins for, essentially creating unintended giveaways.

Wasn't paying enough attention to that. But oh well. Overall, it all evened out pretty well.

And a few times in the past, some of those "giveaway" auction winners have come back for more later. >>

I have done the same, though my worst one was a lot which was too big. I believe it was a lot of about 15 1902-1940s British pennies. 99 cents no reserve, ended up selling for $1.04. I way underestimated the shipping cost to England. Basically I paid $10 to give away 15 pennies image
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options

<< <i>I have done the same, though my worst one was a lot which was too big. I believe it was a lot of about 15 1902-1940s British pennies. 99 cents no reserve, ended up selling for $1.04. I way underestimated the shipping cost to England. Basically I paid $10 to give away 15 pennies >>

Man, that sucks rocks. Hard to believe you could get hosed so badly. Must've been a really off day on the 'Bay. image

• Options
    Yes, it can be very hit and miss. I've had some items sell for much more than they should have. But over the long run, I've found that for me having BIN listings is the better approach for most of my material.