Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

anyone here use comc.com check out my cards.com??

im thinking about subbing about 600+ cards. i havent bought or sold from them before but it looks like a good place to move some cards i dont need and purchase the ones i need. anyone have any thoughts or used them in the past?

any help or advice would be appreciated

thanks
fred
Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

Comments

• billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I loveD that site up until recently, when they started charging for access to the Beckett price guide.

As a seller, it was always a benefit for buyers to be able to see how much of a discount your prices were, compared to Beckett. But now, unless they shell out $30/month, no one can see them.
  • dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    I've read the fees are high on comc.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    they have a special right now .10/card for 660 cards $70.00 min. that didnt sound to bad to me since if i get anything over .25 for the cards i dont want i can use it to buy stuff i do. so that would help these cards are good but just sitting around doing nothing for me.

are those the fees your talking about the intial get your cards on the site fees? or are there other fees i should know about?

thanks for the thoughts

fred
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

• what i do not understand is people sending 1000 cards to sell with $.25 fees each and post that sales are great when they sell 10 cards at $1.00 that they could not sell on ebay for $.50. Basically what i am saying is, Do i have to send in 1000 cards and pay $250.00 to sell 10 cards at $1.00 heck even if i sold 100 cards for a $1.00 each is still only $100.00. what the heck, try it and let everyone know what is the actual sell rate of ones submissions.

If COMC guaranteed me selling 100% of my cards, that would be great.
    i would like that guarantee also...

i am going to try it i guess, i got the cards together already over the weekend. they are cards worth more then a buck but im going to deep discount them so they move, like i said whatever i get is more then i have now. i figure i will have about $85-90 into getting them on the site adn fees so if i sell them all for .50 which they will be more since they are star careds with few commons unless they are pre-75, i will make about $200-250. i am hoping these cards are making a one trip to the coast and i wont see them again.

i'll keep everyone up to date

please keep sending any thoughts or experiences
    Fred

• They have a 10% cashout fee on more expensive cards and 20% on the lesser stuff. Plus, I believe you pay .01 per card after three months for a storage fee. You can cashout to Blowout gift certificates for a better rate though too.

• << <i>They have a 10% cashout fee on more expensive cards and 20% on the lesser stuff. Plus, I believe you pay .01 per card after three months for a storage fee. You can cashout to Blowout gift certificates for a better rate though too. >>

I forgot to add that you have to wait 30 days after receipt for them to be posted. So, depending on what you are selling, you could move them on ebay faster too.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I love the site. It's a great place to move <$1 cards in bulk. I usually wait until they have their National special (drastically discounts the submission fees) and send in a bunch.

edit to add: I just spend the money on the site, so the cash-out fee doesn't really apply.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

<< <i>They have a 10% cashout fee on more expensive cards and 20% on the lesser stuff. Plus, I believe you pay .01 per card after three months for a storage fee. You can cashout to Blowout gift certificates for a better rate though too. >>

what i was going to do is just use the money for credit and buy cards i need for my sets, that would be 100% of the proceeds then pay for shipping.

the storage starts after 90 days and is there is none if the cards are listed for .75 or less so i thought i would drop the price to sell quicker, i hope

the ebay is a good idea but i have to scan and list them and thats a lot of time so i thought maybe this way would be more efficient for me, for cards that are just sitting round with almost no value to me.
    Fred

• Its not as easy as everyone makes it sound.

First of all, you do not really save time. You may save time from not needing to scanning,mailing and listing . But you then waste that time saved by having to researching and update your prices everytime to be the lowest priced on comc, fronting the money to list ,etc . The people that make money are sellers that are highly involved with the maintenance of there 10,000's -$100,000s of cards daily.

If there was a 100% sell thru, you would definitely make money, but there is not a 100% sell thru without close maintenance of your inventory.

Everything takes work, comc can make great money but it takes work. basically the same amount of work as ebay but in different areas.

how do i know? because i been using comc for 5+ years and it is not getting easier, it is becoming worst then ebay.

Tried it all, low,mid and high range cards, flipping, low return, high return. etc...
    inserts,serial numbered,autos,gu,commons and graded.

<< <i>how do i know? because i been using comc for 5+ years and it is not getting easier, it is becoming worst then ebay. >>

To each their own. I've been selling on COMC for only 3 or so years now, and I like it a whole heck of a lot better than Ebay, mainly because I primarily traffic in <$1 cards.

I actually find it enjoyable. Now, mind you, this is a hobby for me, not a living. I'd easily make more per hour by offering my professional service out on a contract basis, but spending an extra hour working isn't as fun as spending an hour goofing around on COMC.

• << <i>

<< <i>how do i know? because i been using comc for 5+ years and it is not getting easier, it is becoming worst then ebay. >>

To each their own. I've been selling on COMC for only 3 or so years now, and I like it a whole heck of a lot better than Ebay, mainly because I primarily traffic in <$1 cards.

I actually find it enjoyable. Now, mind you, this is a hobby for me, not a living. I'd easily make more per hour by offering my professional service out on a contract basis, but spending an extra hour working isn't as fun as spending an hour goofing around on COMC. >>

Do you like the current changes? In my opinion the fees can only get more expensive not cheaper. Slowly selling and not submitting as much, eventually till i am out. It was fun while it was worth it, it is fun flipping but getting less fun day by day.

Some interesting none official stats for comc.

For every 1000 cards in your inventory selling under $1 , you will sell about 1 a day if your card is the lowest priced.

<< <i>Do you like the current changes? In my opinion the fees can only get more expensive not cheaper. Slowly selling and not submitting as much, eventually till i am out. It was fun while it was worth it, it is fun flipping but getting less fun day by day.

Some interesting none official stats for comc.

For every 1000 cards in your inventory selling under $1 , you will sell about 1 a day if your card is the lowest priced. >>

My last 2 submissions have been using their National specials from last year and this year. Since I save stuff up for use during the National specials, as i don't like the idea of spending 25 cents per card (especially since I'm submitting cheap cards that I estimate may sell for 30 cents).

Of the 356 sub $1 cards that I originally submitted with last year's National special, I've got around 50 left.

179 sold within 2 months of being listed, the other 127 sold over the next 9 months. I made my fees back and then some within the first 2 months. Everything after that is profit. Everything left is also at 75 cents or less, so it's not subject to storage fees.

I like it. It's like trading my unwanted cheap cards for cheap cards I want.

I've got around 600 cards in my new submission, and I'm eager to see those go live.

great stuff guys thanks for the imput. i just recently found this site. like i said im not looking to make a killing. just trying to get cards from my house to someone that may be able to use them and if i can pick up some of the one i need for my sets all the better. not looking to retire on the proceeds but i have a ton of cards that im just not interested in some newer stuff i got in collections buys and lot buys. i have some nice kobe/shaq/jordan inserts and a like and i just dont want them but know they are worth a couple of bucks to someone. i have drug them to local shows for a couple of years now and i thought this may work. i like that i get 100% of the sales if i use it to purchase stuff i need then just pay shipping to get them back, seems good to me.

keep the conversation coming. its great to hear both good and bad stories before i get into it so i have a perspective from both sides adn know what to expect.

thanks again
    fred
    Fred

I like it. It's like trading my unwanted cheap cards for cheap cards I want.

I've got around 600 cards in my new submission, and I'm eager to see those go live. >>

thats what i think, if it works out for me like you i can see me submitting every year at this time and saving up cards to do so.
    Fred

<< <i>just trying to get cards from my house to someone that may be able to use them and if i can pick up some of the one i need for my sets all the better. >>

+1

That's another reason why I use this site.

questions DIGICAT

do i need to start the auction at .75 to get the no storage fee after 90 days or can i drop it to that amount after 2 months or to get it?
    if you know

thanks
    fred
    Fred

• Lots of angles to this.

It will cost you about $80+ to submit your cards with the special ($70 + sh).

you say you want to "trade" unwanted $1 cards for Cards you want.

Could it be more fun to just buy 2 boxes of 2013 topps or a box of bowman,etc ? or some Graded cards? or your commons outright and just donate the unwanted cards.

Heck, i spend $500+ on submissions the other month, this month i just bought a 2 cases of Univ of texas upper deck junk. Got 24 autos and some selling on ebay for $100+. Way more fun and cost effective.

Like someone said "each their own".

Do the math, there are lots of better ways to spend your fee money.
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Quick question - I have about 2,000 $1-$5 card in Card Saver 1's that I would like to send them. However, I believe I read that they charge you an extra .05/card if you send them in Card Savers or hard cases. Is that true? And if so - why wouldn't they charge you for this, when I'm assuming they'll need to put the cards in some sort of case if they sell.

Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Yes, you need to take them all out of toploaders and cardsavers. penny sleeves are OK.
    Remember, $.25 ($70 specials) is the base fee. Comc charges for $.25 condition notes, $.25 taking out of holder and $.25 if you want them returned in the far future(i think they return your cards free if requested for a certain amount of time).

More involved then people think. If it was that easy, i would have sent 1,000,000 low end cards already. It is not easy.

COMC IS A FEE BASED COMPANY, SO THEY MAKE MONEY WITH FEES. nothing wrong with making money. Users just need to understand everything involved to make the right decision.

<< <i>questions DIGICAT

do i need to start the auction at .75 to get the no storage fee after 90 days or can i drop it to that amount after 2 months or to get it?
    if you know

thanks
    fred >>

Not auction, they're basically all Buy-it-nows, but people can submit offers.

Once your 90 days are up, any cards priced over 75 cents AT THAT TIME will get charged the fee.

<< <i>Do the math, there are lots of better ways to spend your fee money. >>

I did the math. It works for me.

<< <i>Like someone said "each their own". >>

Who said that? image

• Some real time stats for the OP.

so far today. i sold 6 cards for about $10 with approx 2000 cards and $10,000+ asking price.
    My cards are usually the lowest priced.

COMC is absolutely fun. But to make real money, it takes money and time.

The national special is a good deal. Go for it $80 wont hurt you.

or

just deposit $80 into your comc account and buy 100 autos and gu and you dont need to wait. Instant fun, waiting 45 days for the nat' special is a long time.
  • bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    If it helps -- I've submitted 2500 cards to the site over time (6 years), I've sold 1600 of them for ~$4K. Most expensive card I sold went for $120, but most are in the $0.25 - $2.00 range. I almost always take the cashout, so I get hit coming in with listing fees and then out with the cashout fee. It seems to me the best movers are in the $3-$8 BV category.

The way I usually do it is list all my cards at 100% of BV and then slowly drop the price until they are sold are under the magic free storage $. I've been lazy because I don't have much left on the site right now -- I should probably get in and cut some prices.

<< <i>Yes, you need to take them all out of toploaders and cardsavers. penny sleeves are OK.
    Remember, $.25 ($70 specials) is the base fee. Comc charges for $.25 condition notes, $.25 taking out of holder... >>

Didn't they get rid of the condition note fee when they upped the submission price to 25 cents per card last year? This seems to imply that condition note fees are gone.

• << <i>

<< <i>Yes, you need to take them all out of toploaders and cardsavers. penny sleeves are OK.
    Remember, $.25 ($70 specials) is the base fee. Comc charges for $.25 condition notes, $.25 taking out of holder... >>

Didn't they get rid of the condition note fee when they upped the submission price to 25 cents per card last year? This seems to imply that condition note fees are gone. >>

Pretty sure they still have "condition notes" fees. Other wise people will be sending all there vintage commons and comc would go bankrupt spending time with condition notes for free.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Didn't they get rid of the condition note fee when they upped the submission price to 25 cents per card last year? This seems to imply that condition note fees are gone. >>

Pretty sure they still have "condition notes" fees. Other wise people will be sending all there vintage commons and comc would go bankrupt spending time with condition notes for free. >>

I just emailed and asked them specifically about vintage cards. They say that there are no more condition notes fees.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Pretty sure they still have "condition notes" fees. Other wise people will be sending all there vintage commons and comc would go bankrupt spending time with condition notes for free. >>

I just emailed and asked them specifically about vintage cards. They say that there are no more condition notes fees. >>

if this is true, it is a great deal and vintage sellers should send in commons. comc will do the listing and grading for you. that is an awesome deal.
    I am sending a Nat' special this week. GOOD DEAL, absolutely no extra fees on any card. cant beat that! (some people were getting pissed off when they would be charged extra money due to condition notes).
    I think they want them out of the holders for scanning purposes, I would think .

I figure if I can sell them and invest 80 bucks or so I can get rid of the cards and make about 300/400 for the cards I need that would be a big help. If it works I can find some others to sell to.

Good stuff guys
    Thanks
    Fred

Digi
    Thanks for the help with my storage question
    Fred
    Fred

• CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I loveD that site up until recently, when they started charging for access to the Beckett price guide.

Pretty sure this was a Beckett thing demanding that COMC not offer their price guide for free. I think some people started looking up cards on COMC instead of springing for the $9/month Beckett subscription.

As a buyer it's good when looking to random complete sets and pick up tough but cheap 90s inserts. As a seller I found it's not worth the trouble- I sent them 650 cards back in 2011 and have seen 240 cards sell at $1100 in sales. These cards were mostly 90s inserts plus some low dollar 70s star cards.

Here are my fees in round numbers:
    - .25 submission fee- $160
    - .01 storage fee since 2011- $100
    - 20% cash out fee- $220

So basically about 45% of my sales have gone to fees. To be fair I haven't put much time into it since my initial submission and haven't sent any new batches to keep my inventory fresh, but the $620 I've cleared really wasn't worth the time I put in. I also didn't take advantage of any of their specials. I would imagine at the 10k+ card threshold it probably makes more sense if you don't have the time to scan and ship on ebay, but I sell a ton of $2-$5 cards on ebay only giving away 15% in fees.

Lee
    i was thinking about sending in some ozzie smith rookies OC, henderson rookies vg at best and mid 70's stars in better shape along with mid 70's football stars with some newer basketball inserts. how do these types of cards usually sell? like i said i am going to just discount these in order to get rid of them maybe 10-20% of book. i am now thinking about adding some older commons as well, 75 topps baseball, 75/79 football, and alike i should be able to move these for .50-.75 each i hope and at least they are out of my house. i have tried to fill sets for people but it moves very slow on PSA/NET54 boards so i figure this may be quicker.

thanks again for the conversation
    Fred

• dont get your hopes too high. Things move very slow if you send in the wrong cards and dont update your prices often.
    For some reason, people make it sound easy to make money on comc . I am a user, comc is great if you WORK HARD at using the site and update often. if it was as easy as sending cards in and paying $.25 to make $.50 - $1.00 on each and every card, wall street would jump on this.

will be Sending in 2000 cards this week( the nat' special and some crappy stuff). It is hard work, dont let people tell you otherwise.

i figured, if it was easy everyone would do it. but like i have said im not looking to make a killing just move some stuff i dont want or have a need for, for basically whatever i can get and pick up cards from the site i need for my sets.

i have set up at local show in the past a couple of times and cant move these cards at discount prices (basically what i would ask on the site .50/.75 for star cards) everyone wants shinny new cards. that costs about 35.00 plus the aggravation of setting up and shelpping every thing down putting it away keeping the pricing up to date, i like doing it and enjoy talking to everyone and meeting collectors but its more trouble then its worth at the end of the day. so i just go to the shows now and do that without the hassle of selling. i collect pre-80 so i usually come home empty handed or just a few cards from my list.

this seems like a vitural card show in my mind where i may get buyers at discount prices to buy my stuff. i dont care if they buy them and then flip them as long as its out of my collection.

thanks for the imput its appreciated
    Fred

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking about sending in my first batch to them as well. A few more noob questions:

Does anyone know how good they are at determining variations (i.e. 1975 Hostess Twinkie vs 1975 Hostess, refractors that don't say it on the card)?
    If they miscategorize a card, do you have a chance to correct it?
    Do you take inventory before all cards are sent to make sure they make it into your account?
    Do they take cards that aren't listed in Beckett? I see they have a category set up for 1992 Cartwright's, but these aren't in Beckett and they don't have any listings under it.

<< <i>Does anyone know how good they are at determining variations (i.e. 1975 Hostess Twinkie vs 1975 Hostess, refractors that don't say it on the card)? >>

They use Beckett as their primary source, so if Beckett ID'ed the variation, chances are they'll figure it out.

<< <i>If they miscategorize a card, do you have a chance to correct it? >>

Yes. When the cards get added to your account they don't go up for sale until you set prices. At that time you can report a problem with a card. You can even report problems with cards sold by other people (e.g. identification errors)

<< <i>Do you take inventory before all cards are sent to make sure they make it into your account? >>

I do. Sometimes they'll reject cards from a submission if they think they're in too bad of condition or they think they've been altered, and they don't immediately tell you which cards got rejected. I compare the list of cards they added to my submission list to see which cards they rejected and ask them specifically why they rejected them.

Unfortunately, they consider slightly under-sized cards to be "trimmed" so if your cards don't measure up, don't bother sending them in.

larkin
    what are you submitting? what types and years?
    fred
    Fred

• hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only recently started using it to buy. No plans to sell anything. Is a nice site for those of us who don't use the instrument of the Anti-Christ (eBay) to find some pretty nice inserts/parallels for personal collections.
    Digicat - Thanks for the responses! That's good info.

Fred - a real hodge podge of stuff to get an idea of what sells well at what price, so far I've pulled together:

(50) - 2011 Leaf Metal Golf (mix of base, prismatic, autos)
    (50) - Tiger Woods/Barry Larkin - mostly duplicate inserts, some Larkin GU
    (25) - 1971-71 Fleer Cocoa Puffs Globetrotters
    (40) - 1994 & 1995 Bowman's Best Refractors
    (5) - 1975 Hostess Twinkie
    (3) - 1969 Topps Decals
    - Whatever basketball inserts & Jordan dups I can scrounge up (can't ever seem to get motivated to list those myself)
    - Anything that's been piling up around my desk and looks to be worth a few bucks
    - Fill it out with some 1960/1972/1964 Topps baseball commons/minor stars

I just placed my first order yesterday to see how it works buying from them, status Packaging.
  • Made about $.08 before fees today so far.

<< <i>Made about $.08 before fees today so far. >>

Well it's a start!!

Mine is all over the place too. I have some decent rookies, and stars in all sports. Some 89 upper deck with Griffey, johnson, Ripken. Jordan, kobe, shaq cards. And I'm going to finish it off with commons of 75 baseball and 75/69/79 football.

Hopefully they go, I don't care as long as they do.
    Fred

Shipment in the mail (procrastinating until the last day as usual), now the wait begins.

Fred, what shape are the 69 & 79 football in? Any cream backs in the 79? I finally wrapped up the 79 grey backs and have 33 cream to go.
  • ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    Hey Fred,

Do you have an update on how it's going selling at COMC?

This thread just sort of drifted off, but I'd be curious on the results. I'm scraping some stuff together to send in myself.

<< <i>

<< <i>Made about $.08 before fees today so far. >>

Well it's a start!!

Mine is all over the place too. I have some decent rookies, and stars in all sports. Some 89 upper deck with Griffey, johnson, Ripken. Jordan, kobe, shaq cards. And I'm going to finish it off with commons of 75 baseball and 75/69/79 football.

Hopefully they go, I don't care as long as they do. >>