Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Find out how "The composite definition was changed"

I just checked my Maravich Basic set and got moved up one spot because "The composite definition was changed". I'm not complaining, but does it happen often, and can I find out what changes were made?

Comments

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Most likely someone has removed their set .----- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    If it says the composition definition was changed, more than likely it was. Someone, usually an owner of the top set or one that is challenging it, will present compelling enough data to convince PSA to redistribute the weight of certain cards. It happens a lot - more often than not the redistribution will benefit the owner who suggested the re-weighting, but it will also benefit or hurt other registrants.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While we're on the subject of compositions...

Comments already posted are correct, weights get changed, or others remove their sets for various reasons.

One thing I recently encountered was a master set I've been working on for 5 years and am now down to the very hard to find cards. So, after having contacted Cosetta "way back when" about a certain card of this player, and having been told "no, it would not be added to the composition", I see one day that the composition was indeed changed...AND, it was the OPC version of the original request I had to Cosetta about the Topps version of the same card. Now, the kicker is, the person who asked to include the OPC card, and was succesful, only did so because his card is a one of three in grade 9...he is NOT collecting the set, only trying to enhance the value of his card. He has a grand total of 3 cards registered in the set, all three are for sale of course.

While this is indeed legal, I think it unethical to have added the card. If the person was collecting the set I would have no issues, but to do so soley for potential monetary gain is pretty shallow in my book. Now, I am compelled to obtain the OPC card to complete the set and go from needing 5 to now needing 6. And yes, I've passed up a bunch of opportunities to get the Topps version in grade 10, simply passed because of being told it wouldn't be added.

More of a gnat bite really. My set is in the mid 90 percentile and the nearest guy to me is like 5%. I have a fair number of high "1 ofs" and some "only" graded examples, almost impossible to get overtaken, but that isn't why we're collecting in the first place.
  • Options
    A similar thing happened to me when I contacted PSA quite some time ago to inquiry as to whether collector coins (such as Highland Mint and SLU) would be graded and added to the registry collections. I was told they would not, so I passed on a great opportunity to purchase quite a few to have graded. Just recently, these items have been added to the Master Collections. Now, I am trying to find them, buy them, and have them graded.

The frustrating part is that it seems the top spot "collectors" get a little more advantage when it comes to PSA listening to their requests - either to include a card/item, remove a card/item, or the weighting issue.

I just want consistency. If I am told something will/will not be graded, then it should be that way regardless of who is asking.
    I only need 18 cards to complete the Don Mattingly Master collection. Help would be great!
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    If someone else's set is depublished for a year of inactivity at under 10% completion, it will be reflected as "The composite definition was changed" on your registry page id that causes you to move up in the rankings.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Sounds good. I just figured they changed the set composition. Thanks!
  • Options
    A few points:

1) Just like in life - things change and we do not control when, why or how. So too with the registry. The only given is that things can and do change. That said, collect what you like, if the registry is that important to you, buy or hold things that may eventually make it in - especially if they are low pop items.
    2) It is in PSA's interest to add more cards to the registry - more cards for us chumps - uh collectors to spend more money on grading fees. They just need to be given a reason that fits within their stated policies (or change said policies) to make it happen. I have seen both happen numerous times. Stay on your toes and happy collecting!
    3) "Money talks" - like it or not it makes a lot of sense that greater weight will be given to registry participants with greater "investments" in the registry. These are the PSA "best customers". They want to keep their customers happy.