Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Garage sale/ Flea market hits

I just got couple boxes of old cards from garage sale. I need to look through them to see anything is worth keeping. Has anyone gotten anything good from garage or flea market sales? Please share.

Comments

• Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    what sport/s, year? Were they unopened boxes or literally boxes of loose random cards?

I have never went to a flea market or garage sale looking for sports cards, but every time I drive by a garage sale I get the urge to stop and check it out. A guy down the street from me had a garage sale and I didn't even walk down to take a look. I should start though, you never know.

Let us know what you find.

There was a video on youtube where a guy talks about a flea market he went to where he bought a 1980 Topps Larry Bird/Magic Johnson rc for about 10 cents, I think he bought a stack of them for around a dollar. It graded out a PSA 8. I love hearing stories like that.
  • Options
    daprodapro Posts: 209 ✭✭
    It is couple boxes of mix football/baseball/basketball cards. Its all loose and random. So far, going through one box nothing special mainly common cards from the 80's to the early 90's. Got 2 more boxes to search through.

Yea, I saw that youtube video too. He is a big packers fan and hit big with the bird/johnson card.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    I picked these up at a flea market around 1990. I paid $20 after waiting til the end of the day. They were all in a 9 card sheet and it was the only cards he had. I had largely forgot about them until I found them about 8 weeks ago in a bin that I pulled that housed a bunch of wax I wanted to catalogue. It was a very pleasant surprise. Though they were still in a binder in a sheet, they were still quite clean. There was also a full run of 80s Steve Sax collection in the binder, but that was mine.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Nice! I think there were more hits in the 80's and 90's then now since the invent of the Internet. People tend to know what they got by searching the Internet before they sell something, but there are still a chance of treasure!
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I occasionally find memorabilia at good prices at garage sales and flea markets (bobbleheads, old programs/yearbooks, store model autograph model gloves, etc.). Rummage sales also work well for this - and are great for sports books.
    My last pickup was a Gale Sayers '94 Playoff Club insert in a screwdown for a quarter. I figured the screwdown alone is at least a quarter.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I have some of those all star cards (two guys per card; second photo) are they worth much? I know it depends on the year/players ... just in general are they considered good?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have some of those all star cards (two guys per card; second photo) are they worth much? I know it depends on the year/players ... just in general are they considered good? >>

Quit your day job buddy, you have hit the mother lode......

..........NOT!

Are these 1975 quarters worth anything?
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got couple boxes of old cards from garage sale. I need to look through them to see anything is worth keeping. Has anyone gotten anything good from garage or flea market sales? Please share. >>

Years ago before i got back into card collecting I found a box of cards for $4.00 at a tag sale. They were from the 50's and 60's and I was going to pass it up because I was out of cards for a few years and wasn't sure what I would do with them. My wife told me that for $4.00 I should buy the box because it will give me something to do the rest of the weekend. Well, i bought that box and it brought me right back into the hobby. I found the complete set of the 1959 Fleer Ted Williams set (minus the Ted Signs card), 4 mickey mantles (poor condition) 2 Pete Rose Rookies (poor condition) about 40% of the 1960 Topps set in excellent condition plus about 400 commons, semi stars from 1958- 1970 in excellent condition. That was a once in a lifetime find.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    I looked through the 3 boxes of old cards and really didn't find anything special. There are couple Jordan rookies cards, but I am guessing they are reprints. Until the next garage sale! image
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are these 1975 quarters worth anything? >>

Depends. Were they struck with errors? Double die overstrike? Planchet clip?

There are always extenuating circumstances. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    This morning got a Jason Varitek bobblehead "Legends of the Diamond" /2007 for $4. Then spent 30 minutes going through 88-92 stuff- nothing of significance.
    Looking for low #'d 2006 Marques Hagans + 1991 Wild Card stripes of UVA players - Tony Covington, Shawn Moore, Herman Moore
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Once there was a guy on here who had the chance to purchase a huge basement collection from his uncle but he missed the bus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tr8KRqyGJk
  • Options
    The only things that is interesting are these MJ cards

but I think they are fakes. haha
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Why do you think they are fakes?
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options

<< <i>Why do you think they are fakes? >>

The colors are off to me.
  • Options

The 86 is a common fake but the other sign should be the same card with three different colored borders (red is normal).
  • Options

Another way to tell is the images are much darker than the original. I got both the 1986 fleer rc and sticker to compare. The reprint/fake are cool to display while to stash the real one away.
  • Options
    If that pro set promo is real that is pretty rare but I have heard it has been reprinted.
  • Options
    Here is a closer look at this pro set.

imageimage
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Found this this weekend in Auburn on way to Reno to see Rick Derringer play guitar. Complete game with all the cards and even a couple of blank score sheets. I wonder what it's worth? image
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Found this this weekend in Auburn on way to Reno to see Rick Derringer play guitar. Complete game with all the cards and even a couple of blank score sheets. I wonder what it's worth? image >>

completed sales on eBay show it going from anywhere from $25 to $50

nice pickup

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭
    Everyone has a find of their lifetime. Had mine at a local flea market back in October. It was my last booth I was going to stop at before leaving. Guy had a small box of misc cards, most of which were loose inside and in poor condition. He had a couple in beat up screw downs that looked like they'd been run over and then run over again. In the screw downs was one with a '68 Ryan rc, and another had a '68 Mantle. Guy also had a '69 Jackson rc and a '79 Ozzie Smith graded PSA 8. First I asked the guy about the Ryan and it wasn't his, so he yells across his booth to his buddy.."how much for this Koosman Ryan baseball card?" Guys looks up and responds, "IDK ten bucks." I couldn't grab it back quick enough and started looking it over thinking to myself, what does he know about it that I don't. Ended up buying it figuring it was worth a $10 gamble that it wasn't a reprint. Ended up buying all four of those cards for $55 total. Sent them to PSA and the Ryan came back PSA 4 (which I was hoping a 5/6 but just glad it came back real), Mantle PSA 6MC, and Jackson PSA 2. It's beat to h*ll but no creases. So in all got close to $500 in cards for $50. The Ryan immediately became one of my top 3 favorite cards in my collection.