Home Sports Talk
Options

Rank these running backs in their prime

Three running backs from the 1970's. One of them had a longer career and eventually became a HOFer, but the other two guys had several excellent seasons in the decade that might show that they were as good in their primes. So, rank Franco Harris, Chuck Foreman, and Lydell Mitchell. If you could take the best three or four year stint from each player (not counting what their teams did, just the player), who was the best?

For me it is: 1. Chuck Foreman. 2. Lydell Mitchell. 3. Franco Harris

Am I wrong? If so, convince me with your intelligent and courteous argument.
Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would agree with you completely!

Actually pretty close between Mitchell and Foreman. I grew up a Vikings fan and remember when they drafted Chuck, had never heard of him, but he was a great running back, maybe not so good on the "up the middle" runs but he was a graceful and very fast RB. I never saw much of Mitchell and was surprised at how many passes he caught!

Of course I also remember Franco Harris destroying the Vikings in the super bowl and he did have the nice long career.

Now we will wait for a certain pea brained idiot to chime in!!!!!

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Harris
    foreman
    mitchell
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Harris
    foreman
    mitchell >>

This is the correct answer.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    If you just take the three or four best years as the OP said, I disagree, overall Harris is the better by a mile. Take a good look at all the passes and receiving yardage Chuck and Lydell had.

Please elaborate on why you think Franco's peak years were better than the others.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Foreman fumbled the ball a lot --- As a Vikes fan without looking, I would not be surprised if he would be #3 on the list. The 75/76 Vikings that he played on had a cast of great players and his Average per carry was not that impressive. Definitely the best of the 3 in pass catching...
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    If you look at Harris' years from 75-79 he fumbled about 8 times a year and he had the fewest "touches" of all three players, about 300 per year (he fumbled 11 times in 79). Foreman did have one bad year (75) with 12 fumbles, but he averaged about 9 fumbles in his big years while he was getting about 330 touches (353 touches in 1975). Mitchell seems to be the guy who hung onto the ball, he averaged 360 touches in his big years and fumbled about 5 times a year. THAT'S IMPRESSIVE!

Mitchell may have been the better of the three from 1975-77. He had over 1700 yards from scrimmage all three years, foreman had two of three over 1700 and a 1400, Harris never had a year above 1477.

For peak performance, I am changing my mind to;

Mitchell
    Foreman
    Harris

Overall career it's not even close Harris was a STUD, he just didn't catch many passes. He didn't need to with the receivers Pittsburgh had.

• Options

<< <i>If you look at Harris' years from 75-79 he fumbled about 8 times a year and he had the fewest "touches" of all three players, about 300 per year (he fumbled 11 times in 79). Foreman did have one bad year (75) with 12 fumbles, but he averaged about 9 fumbles in his big years while he was getting about 330 touches (353 touches in 1975). Mitchell seems to be the guy who hung onto the ball, he averaged 360 touches in his big years and fumbled about 5 times a year. THAT'S IMPRESSIVE!

Mitchell may have been the better of the three from 1975-77. He had over 1700 yards from scrimmage all three years, foreman had two of three over 1700 and a 1400, Harris never had a year above 1477.

For peak performance, I am changing my mind to;

Mitchell
    Foreman
    Harris

Overall career it's not even close Harris was a STUD, he just didn't catch many passes. He didn't need to with the receivers Pittsburgh had. >>

This is the correct answer
  • Options

<< <i>

Please elaborate on why you think Franco's peak years were better than the others.

Joe >>

The rings image
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I'll take Earl Campbell.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Joe >>

The rings image >>

That's just silly. Why do people want to mix individual rankings with TEAM accomplishments? Doesn't make ANY sense.

OP said NOT counting on what their teams did.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    If you look at it from a Fantasy Football perspective each player had a four year run of being in the top 7 at the RB position. Foreman was 1,2,2,6 -- Michell was 2,3,4,7 -- Harris was 9,4,6,7
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll take Franco. I want a running back to run. I don't need all these other stats about receiving.

Last year Adrian Peterson was the greatest running back of all time. Every defensive coordinator planned for Peterson and he shredded them. I don't know how many receiving yards and don't care. I'm thinking Faulk or Tomlinson may have had more yards from scrimmage in one of their years; but who cares.image

By the way....Foreman was a good player.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>I'll take Franco. I want a running back to run. I don't need all these other stats about receiving. >>

Why wouldn't you? Wouldn't a yard gained through the air be as valuable as a yard gained on the ground? That being said I think Franco was the best of the lot.

<< <i>Last year Adrian Peterson was the greatest running back of all time. Every defensive coordinator planned for Peterson and he shredded them. I don't know how many receiving yards and don't care. I'm thinking Faulk or Tomlinson may have had more yards from scrimmage in one of their years; but who cares.image >>

Greatest of all time? It was indeed an amazing year, but I would take Chris Johnson's 2009 campaign where he had over 2500 yards or LDT's 2006 run where he caught over 100 balls, had over 1800 rushing yards and over 500 receiving yards, rushed for 28 TDs and caught 3 more.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    It was the greatest single season by a RB in my opinion. He had the entire team on his back and still came through. I would not even compare Johnson and Peterson. Peterson is a power back with tremendous speed.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Joe >>

The rings image >>

That's just silly. Why do people want to mix individual rankings with TEAM accomplishments? Doesn't make ANY sense.

OP said NOT counting on what their teams did. >>

True, but super bowl MVP is an individual award.
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Good informative thread, but we need a JasP sighting...
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>It was the greatest single season by a RB in my opinion. He had the entire team on his back and still came through. I would not even compare Johnson and Peterson. Peterson is a power back with tremendous speed. >>

Who did CJ2K have on his team that year? Vince Young and Kerry Collins were his QBs, who combined for 3000 yards, 55% completion percentage, and 16 TDs vs 15 INTs.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Joe >>

The rings image >>

OP said NOT counting on what their teams did. >>

True, but super bowl MVP is an individual award. >>

Yes it is, however in looking at what the OP has posted, I used regular season totals. Perhaps "powdered" would like to chime in here to clarify.