Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1991 Score Football Promos

Does anybody have any information on these? I haven't been able to find any pictures online and I don't think they are listed in the PSA registry. Here is some information that I found describing what the apparent differences are between the base cards and the promos.

I'm looking for a Derrick Thomas and created a post on the BST, but I'd like more information about the cards as well. It's one of those "white whales" from my childhood that I'd like to add to my collection.
I pick things up
I am a collector
And things, well things
They tend to accumulate

Comments

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I always like to hear about cards from this era that I never new existed. This one always intrigued me

1991 Score Rocket Ismail
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Hi Moose1913,

I have the Lawrence Taylor Score #4 Prototype card in my Master Set. I scanned the back of that card and the LT #529 regular issue, so you can check them out. As you will see, the numbering is different on the LT prototype and so are the colors on the back green vs. red stats and blue vs. dark blue bar with LT's name. Also, the front of the card is blue vs. dark blue along the right half of the card border. The trademarks are the same on both the LT cards.

In the pop report, only two are shown as graded for LT and one for Montana.

I have never seen the Derrick Thomas,and usually when I am looking for LT cards, I come across other players from a particular set.

Hope that sheds some light. You are right. These cards are definitely tough to find! Good luck on your search, John.
    Link
    Lawrence Taylor #1 Basic/Master
    1993 Pro Set Power All-Power-Defense Gold #1
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    I know I used to have the Mike Singletary. I probably paid $5 or $10 for it back in the day. 1991 was the year of the promo card after all.
  • Options
    Moose1913Moose1913 Posts: 401 ✭✭✭
    AISAVDBBALLINPHILLY,

Thank you for the information! I managed to find some additional information and an image of what appears to be the promo.

The promo is on the left, the base card is on the right. The most noticeable difference (on the front) is the size of the white shape on the left hand side of the photo.

Image link...
    I pick things up
    I am a collector
    And things, well things
    They tend to accumulate
  • Options
    Here is my copy of Cunningham that I have in hand. I also put this info in your buy thread.

Paul

• Options
    Huncrelan,

Thank you for posting that! Did it come from Score with the "PROMO CARD" sticker on the toploader? I seem to remember that sticker on the Derrick Thomas that my local card shop had when I was a kid.

I'm still looking for one but haven't been able to find anything. Someone has one posted in a Photobucket account and I've tried contacting them through that and what appears to be their eBay account, but no luck!
    I pick things up
    I am a collector
    And things, well things
    They tend to accumulate
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if that Ismail card ever surfaced? I remember buying packs of 91 proset trying to hit that card.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone know if that Ismail card ever surfaced? I remember buying packs of 91 proset trying to hit that card. >>

Not that I'm aware of. jacksoncoupage has a pic from press releases and small writeup, but I don't think anyone has ever found an example:
    JunkWaxGems
  • Options

<< <i>Huncrelan,

Thank you for posting that! Did it come from Score with the "PROMO CARD" sticker on the toploader? I seem to remember that sticker on the Derrick Thomas that my local card shop had when I was a kid.

I'm still looking for one but haven't been able to find anything. Someone has one posted in a Photobucket account and I've tried contacting them through that and what appears to be their eBay account, but no luck! >>

Moose,

I purchased a 500ct bag of those promo stickers back in 1987 from a local company and affixed them to all the promos I got with the order sheets. I just filed them away, that way I would be able to compare them to the regular cards when they were issued. I still have several hundred promos from 1989 to 1997 but most have promo or sample stamped on the card. My favorite unmarked promo was the 1989 Score Fb Bo Jackson with the stats altered.

Paul
  • Options
    I finally found one and in great shape to boot!

Glad to have this one crossed off my list and added to my collection.

I pick things up
    I am a collector
    And things, well things
    They tend to accumulate
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow congrats! The card looks perfect and displays nicely.
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Wow that's awesome, congrats!
  • Options
    Hi, I am trying to contact fellow promo collectors with hope in acquiring some promo packs and promo singles from all sports, mostly from the 1990's and can use some help,
    Sincerely,
    Mike
  • Options
    Yeah that card looks about right, he only sacked Dave Krieg one-hundred times. image

Great card

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options

I have the Lawrence Taylor Score #4 Prototype card in my Master Set. I scanned the back of that card and the LT #529 regular issue, so you can check them out. As you will see, the numbering is different on the LT prototype and so are the colors on the back green vs. red stats and blue vs. dark blue bar with LT's name. Also, the front of the card is blue vs. dark blue along the right half of the card border. The trademarks are the same on both the LT cards.

In the pop report, only two are shown as graded for LT and one for Montana.

I have never seen the Derrick Thomas,and usually when I am looking for LT cards, I come across other players from a particular set.

Ok now how many of these prototype cards did they make? I got a storage auction and found these cards in it

• Options

I just can't tell if they are what they look like. I got Derek Thomas, I got Bo Jackson, Joe Montana, all kinds with green letters on the stats.

• Options

There are six 1991 Score football promo cards. The easiest way to tell the regular cards from the promo cards is the lack of the TM on the Team NFL logo on the back.

Here are examples of the Randall Cunningham regular card (left) and promo card (right).

Here is some information that I found a while back outlining the differences between the regular cards and promo cards. (Sorry for the blurriness, it's the best quality I could find.)

I pick things up
    I am a collector
    And things, well things
    They tend to accumulate