Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1987 Donruss Rack Case

I've been looking for a sealed case for a bit and found one on ebay and pulled the trigger. The case was as described and I had a lot of fun with it, it took me back to my youth. The best was a Bonds on top, I was looking for a McGwire. Any way, just thought I'd share. Also if any rack collectors are looking for someone specific from this year and company, let me know and I'll check.

Comments

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    I remember busting those back in the day before I reformed. image

If you happen to have Tom Seaver showing on top on one of those racks, I'd be interested. Thanks!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Got a Doc Gooden on top?
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got a Greenwell on top?

Are they racks or blister packs? Man I loved that 87 Donruss set when I was a kid.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    1987 Donruss rack cases are a fun break
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be interested in one with a centered Larkin rookie on top.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>1987 Donruss rack cases are a fun break >>

pleasant news. just bought one for G*D knows why! but now i've got a rack case to go with a wax case from this issue. and a storage dilemma. guess it'll need busting. image
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

pleasant news. just bought one for G*D knows why! but now i've got a rack case to go with a wax case from this issue. and a storage dilemma. guess it'll need busting. image >>

I know someone in your area who would help you get rid of those if you have a storage issue.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

pleasant news. just bought one for G*D knows why! but now i've got a rack case to go with a wax case from this issue. and a storage dilemma. guess it'll need busting. image >>

I know someone in your area who would help you get rid of those if you have a storage issue. >>

You can send any 1987 Donruss Seaver racks my way. That will lighten the load some.

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    will do Mike. thinkin' i'll take a plunge and look for a juicy Maddux gem or two, or topping a rack. i'll let ya know if there's any Terrifics here for ya. gotta go wait for the UPS truck now. image
  • Options

<< <i>will do Mike. thinkin' i'll take a plunge and look for a juicy Maddux gem or two, or topping a rack. i'll let ya know if there's any Terrifics here for ya. gotta go wait for the UPS truck now. image >>

Why bother waiting for the UPS truck. I stake out the processing center and intercept the packages there. Less chance of delivery errors that way. image

One thing I would be curious to know if you bust that rack case open, is if the same card appears in different sections of the rack packs. I think that Donruss did not sequence their racks in the same way as Topps and I wouldn't be surprised if you saw Maddux for example in the middle section and the far section as well. Thanks for any intel. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    no worries. but only for you. don't wanna spill any major trade secrets around here. image
  • Options
    Yeah, next thing you know the market will be flooded with 1987 Donruss rack packs with stars on top. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    well, after you and your cronies gobble up everything else, yours truly will corner the market with the leftovers. image
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you stumble across a Greenwell on top, I'm your Huckleberry!
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    I think McGwire is behind Ed Nunez.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Let me know if you find one with Will Clark on top. Thanks.
    Steve
  • Options
    right on guys. looking for a few cheap thrills here and happy to share, so PM's to those who have requests after this case arrives and i've had a chance to go thru it. anyone else with a player on their wish list, go ahead and post it here and i'll let you know. image
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    If you find one with Canseco or Bo, lemme know.
  • Options
    If only Mario Mendoza was still playing. A rack with him on top would be money in the bank. Heck, he had a line named after him and everything. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    oh yeah, our culture hasn't forgotten Mario. one season our young Pony League baseball team was so bad at hitting, we called them the Mendozas. image
  • Options

<< <i>If only Mario Mendoza was still playing. A rack with him on top would be money in the bank. Heck, he had a line named after him and everything. image >>

Mason and Dixon had a line named after them too, but I don't want their cards either.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If only Mario Mendoza was still playing. A rack with him on top would be money in the bank. Heck, he had a line named after him and everything. image >>

Mason and Dixon had a line named after them too, but I don't want their cards either. >>

Yeah, but Mason had a nice rack. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>right on guys. looking for a few cheap thrills here and happy to share, so PM's to those who have requests after this case arrives and i've had a chance to go thru it. anyone else with a player on their wish list, go ahead and post it here and i'll let you know. image >>

Not to sound like a broken record, but I'd be interested in one with a centered Larkin rookie on top.
  • Options
    looks like the seller has handed it off to the USPS already, so let's all have a collective kum-ba-ya that it arrives safely by the end of the week. will post again soon. still taking requests. image
  • Options
    case has arrived, repackaged with delicious racks once price tagged by the likes of Toys-R-Us & other retailers......no Maddux on top racks (what were the odds?), but there were a few in here that might suffice.....

ReggieCleveland rack with Greenwell on top, rack header has a price sticker on it, Greenwell card is in top cell and has a little chip off the bottom border so the white shows.....

totallyradd rack with Canseco on top, a little price sticker over the top cell which contains his card.....

LarkinCollector rack with Barry on top in the 3rd cell, small price sticker over the top cell, nice looking card inside.....

slum22 looks like you're the big winner here, as the box was loaded with Clark racks, about 5 or 6 i think. image let me know if you want one or more and i'll find the nicest one for ya.....

i did find one each with Bo & McGwire which look nice enough to keep for now, and i suppose ripping will commence in hopes of landing a juicy Mad Dog.

thanks for playing along and anyone who wants to send a PM with a request or just to taunt me, feel free. image
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow. 11 year old me would have gone nuts over that box. I will send you a PM. Thanks!
    Steve