Home Sports Talk
Options

Color Photos of an Aging, Ailing Babe Ruth

1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
Deadspin just ran a link to this story, and these photos really are quite compelling.

Link

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Cancer knocks the hell out of your body!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    The Babe was only 53 when he passed.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I hadn't noticed bedore that the Babe died on August 16th. How ironic that the biggest star in the history of baseball (and arguably American sports) died on the same day (years apart of course) as the biggest star in rock and roll (and arguably the biggest star in American history), Elvis Presley. Elvis would be the Babe Ruth of rock and roll. Just an odd thought...
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Aug. 16, 1987, Nick Vanos killed in plane crash. Aug. 16, 1930 Frank Gifford's DOB. Aug. 16, 1953 Kathy Lee Gifford's DOB. Aug. 16, 1958 Madonna's DOB. Aug. 16, 1985 Madonna marries Sean Penn. Sean Penn's birthday Aug. 17.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Died way to young, but what a life the Sultan of Swat lived!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad but compelling photos indeed.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Remembering Babe today.
  • Options
    PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    It's a shame to see anybody go through that sort of pain so early in life.
    EAC, ANA Member
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    If anyone is interested in reading an incredible biography about Babe Ruth, I highly recommend Babe: The Legend Comes to Life by Robert W. Creamer. It details this particular time of Babe Ruth's life extraordinarily well.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>It's a shame to see anybody go through that sort of pain so early in life. >>

+1,000
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If anyone is interested in reading an incredible biography about Babe Ruth, I highly recommend Babe: The Legend Comes to Life by Robert W. Creamer. It details this particular time of Babe Ruth's life extraordinarily well. >>

Haven't read that one but I an a big fan of "The Big Bam".
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Babe put on a brave face, he clearly was in serious poor health at the end. He was and is a great example of "never stop fighting" this terrible disease called Cancer. image
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    THIS is a man worthy of number retirement. Not Jeter. Sorry but that's how I feel.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012