Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Another Japanese Andre The Giant card question

Sumoman.. Could you help out with this one. It's oversized. About the size of an index card. I was told its from the documentary inside the square jungle and issued in packs. Other than that I don't know much about it. Thanks

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks to be in nice condition.
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Yup, that is a card from the 1978 Amada Kings of the Square Ring bromide set.

There were three sets that promoted these Kings of the Square Ring movies:

1) Mini Cards
    2) Bromides
    3) Menko

Mini Card Version

Menko Version
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I'm going to try getting it slabbed at bgs first. The condition is pretty good. I would expect a 7-8.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    So far I've checklisted 6 cards from this set. Since they are unnumbered, it's hard to tell how many total are in the set.

This set came in 30 1-card taba packs, or hanging bundles, in Japan. There are winner cards of this set too! Taba packs occasionally show up from time to time at auction.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I have eight of the Andre the Giant cards from this set, four cards with duplicates of each card and found out that two of my Andre's were winner cards.....
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Nice. Are you goin to get them graded?
  • Options
    I'd like for PSA to grade them which will require a bit of work to do but if we could checklist these that would be great. Perhaps it will be easier after Eagles gets his done by Beckett.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Graded just popped from bgs today. I thought it looked a little better than a 7 but just happy it was slabbed. Ill post a scan of it once I get them back

Sport Name Set Name Player Name Final Grade View Pop Report
    Wrestling 1978 Armada Kings of the Square Ring Andre the Giant 7.0 View
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!

Glad to see you posting again!
  • Options
    Very nice. Congrats!
  • Options
    Can't wait to see it in a slab....I have a few nice ones and winner card. I think it will be a little while before PSA will slab these.
  • Options
    Here it is slabbed. I usually don't complain about about grades and just happy to get things in a slab.. But this one seems just a bit under graded.

• Options
    What are your plans for this one?
  • Options
    That's a classic image of Andre!
  • Options

<< <i>What are your plans for this one? >>

Since its not a rookie card ill prob try to sell it to rais money to blow on completely obsurd sport cards.
  • Options
    I have this one as a winner card in great shape so I will be watching closely to see your return on this card.
  • Options
    Was a checklist ever done on these?
  • Options
    I can't remember if I have a bromide checklist or not. Let me see. I know I have a good mini card and menko checklist.
  • Options
    I have only seen lists for the minis and the menkos........
  • Options
    I got my Andres from this set graded by PSA...looking forward to having these added to my Andre the Giant registry....four more cards from the 70s and mine are all graded PSA 8 which is pretty good although some of these looked like it could have been better but oversized cards are very tough in high grade.

I did not submit my winner cards as I wanted to be sure that they slabbed these cards first.
  • Options
    Here they are:

7 1 25859111 EXCELLENT 5 1978 Amada Kings of the Square Ring Andre the Giant Arms Raised Card
    7 2 25859112 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Amada Kings of the Square Ring Andre the Giant Arms Raised Card
    7 3 25859113 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Amada Kings of the Square Ring Andre the Giant Arms Raised Card
    8 1 25859114 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Amada Kings of the Square Ring Andre the Giant/Antonio Inoki Body Slam Card
    8 2 25859115 NEAR MINT 7 1978 Amada Kings of the Square Ring Andre the Giant/Antonio Inoki Body Slam Card
    9 1 25859116 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Amada Kings of the Square Ring Andre the Giant/Antonio Inoki Headlock Card
    9 2 25859117 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1978 Amada Kings of the Square Ring Andre the Giant/Antonio Inoki Headlock Card
    10 1 25859118 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Amada Kings of the Square Ring Andre the Giant/Antonio Inoki Arm Bar Card
    10 2 25859119 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 Amada Kings of the Square Ring Andre the Giant/Antonio Inoki Arm Bar Card