Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1991 WWF Swanson Released in Canada Only Trading Card Set....

I have had my eye on these for a while and had only purchased one card as most have very noticeable damage with the black borders and heavy corner damage. Some nice examples have been surfacing of late from a Canadian seller and I pulled the trigger on a set a week and a half ago and got them in the mail yesterday.

When I first opened them I was a little nervous as they came in a small snap case and the card that was on the bottom was the Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase card and it had some damage to the top and the lower left corner. As I pulled out each card I was pleasantly surprised that the condition mirrored the cards that were scanned in the listing.

These were only released in Canada and there is very little information on the distribution method on Wrestling Trading Cards.com.

Checklist

There have been a few graded by PSA and I plan to send most of these in and eventually have a complete graded set.

Here are the scans from the set.

Comments

• thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Animal's arm is freaking huge. Those two guys were a couple of my favorites along with The Great Kabuki
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    I love these more obscure sets from other countries! Very cool. What do the backs look like?

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Animal's arm is freaking huge. >>

And he got that way from eating right and lifting every day. LOL

Dave ... REAL nice looking set! Enjoy.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here you go.

<< <i>Animal's arm is freaking huge. Those two guys were a couple of my favorites along with The Great Kabuki >>

The Road Warriors are some of my favorites too. They were monsters!!

<< <i>

<< <i>Animal's arm is freaking huge. >>

And he got that way from eating right and lifting every day. LOL

Dave ... REAL nice looking set! Enjoy. >>

Thanks!

They definitely did their share of roids that is for sure. When they were at their peak both could bench over 600 pounds. That is some serious weight!
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    No Salvatore Bellomo? What was Swanson thinking?
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Bellomo is in the all star set from 1983..... I really like these cards and as modern as I am willing to go for a set, but the set is small and the black borders obviously makes getting this set in high grade a challenge. I believe that I will have a graded set of these in the future, my first few efforts to find gradeable cards from this set was a failure....just looking for the right buy......looking forward to seeing how your cards grade......
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    I put in the request to have this set added to the registry and got the notification today that it is now active.

I will be scanning and uploading my cards soon. I have 11 of the 12 graded and plan on sending in the one I am missing to complete the set soon.

I scanned and uploaded my cards tonight.

1991 WWF Swanson

Here are the scans.

• SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Those are some nice looking cards! Good luck on the last one.
  • tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Great looking cards!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • I had this whole set when they first came out. I think I was in 7th or 8th grade. I remember them like it was yesterday. Love it...takes me back
    It never leaves you...
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Classic WWF as I remember it...........
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Great job on the grades, D! You've gotta be pleased with those.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff

<< <i>Great job on the grades, D! You've gotta be pleased with those. >>

Thanks guys!

Yes I am very pleased with these. I don't plan to try and go hog wild on this set and will try and upgrade if the price is right so to be able to have the vast majority of the set with a GPA of 8.77 on the first try is just fine for me.

I think these cards are attractive in appearance and this set has a great line up of stars from that era. The vast majority of WWF cards from this era are over produced so I think the more limited quantity and design of these make them a nice set.

• StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how many cards are in an unopened pack of Swanson cards - is it just 2? I thought they were just issued as single cards in a cellophane pack until I just looked at one that I had bought awhile ago and saw that while Jake Roberts was on the front, the back was the Mountie.

<< <i>Does anyone know how many cards are in an unopened pack of Swanson cards - is it just 2? I thought they were just issued as single cards in a cellophane pack until I just looked at one that I had bought awhile ago and saw that while Jake Roberts was on the front, the back was the Mountie. >>

2 cards per pack.

• StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    Thanks DPeck for the quick answer