Home Autographs Forum
Options

Posted this on the wrong area

Comments

• Options
    Hello miket

This is the Autograph Forum...thats a signed item...seems a good place to post. image

Unless Puig had recent hand replacement surgery I'd say that is a very poor forgery. Your seller left this feedback three times in 10 days in response to the negatives he received last year - "We neglected this eBay store out of our 3 stores. Our fault - won't happen again". And yet...That feedback is seen on Toolhaus.org, not eBay. This, combined with "NO REFUNDS" tells you enough. I see your seller sold a Muhammad Ali for $40...does that sound right to you?

Check out this signed ball on eBay - # 380688241665 - sold by the same seller...

Sorry to bear bad news but you really have to do your homework earlier. Your question posted here or asked elsewhere would be best asked before you spend $. Not buying from folks who don't take returns can go along way.

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    Thanks for the "boy are you a dumb ass"response. As we grow we learn. It's only a baseball.
    Carpe diem
  • Options
    Hi miket,

Take it easy. If I had wanted to call you a dumb ass, I would have. I didn't and don't. I was trying to suggest to you that you need not learn by making mistakes like that. Do I find it frustrating when folks spend money without research and get ripped off needlessly? Yes!

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    buying autographs - an incomplete and random Friday night list:

and in no order...

buy only from dealers who takes returns
    buy only from dealers with an established reputation who can provide references
    buy only from dealers who offers a lifetime guarantee
    buy only from dealers who shows good scans of the item
    all coa's must have complete contact information
    ALL coa's are worth only the paper they are printed on - it is the dealers rep that is at hand
    google the dealer
    have many samples of genuine signatures to use in evaluating your potential purchases
    ask opinions from unbiased places like this or trusted friends/dealers when considering a purchase
    rushed signatures are often a synonym for forgery
    become familiar with the pens, inks and papers you are going to encounter and when they were introduced
    checks, contracts and other documents like MPA cards will provide the most accurate examples
    low priced items are to be avoided generally
    condition is often key for resale
    letters with unusual or special content will carry a premium
    letters written entirely in by hand are of much greater value then a typed letter signed
    become familiar with the various types of pre-prints, stamps, Autopens and other facsimiles
    become familiar with the subject signers form - "best wishes" or "fondly" and look for those things
    the more writing the better; this is often the stumbling point for the forger
    avoid items, letters especially, with generic dedications, or salutation, such as "To my friend" etc.
    signed photographs are almost always preferred to signed album pages and the like; stability is sought
    look at as many scans as you can of genuine items; save in a folder for use when making an evaluation

Marty - additions?

Best wishes,
    Eric

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only that I don't think EBAY will enforce the "no returns" policy. A person MUST receive what is advertised. If the autograph was advertised as genuine and it is a forgery, the buyer will be able to get his money back.
  • Options

<< <i>Only that I don't think EBAY will enforce the "no returns" policy. A person MUST receive what is advertised. If the autograph was advertised as genuine and it is a forgery, the buyer will be able to get his money back. >>

Correct. Received a full refund plus shipping.
    Carpe diem
  • Options
    How would one know if a signature from a new (future star if you will) is legit?
    Carpe diem
  • Options
    Hi Miket,

Marty is correct - I am glad you got your money back easily enough.
    Your question is one reason many collectors and a lot of dealers don't sell recent signatures of players or celebs. There often are not enough authentic exemplars around to provide a base of knowledge. With someone like a baseball player, seeking out sites such as this and other more ball dedicated sites where you can write, you can start looking for other examples and save them. Some autograph sites online have signature studies. Other collectors will also have some scans saved. Some players do signings - others appear at shows or games. The online auction houses and such also can provide images. Just because it has papers does not mean it is authentic - only when you have many examples to examine and they share characteristics can you start to say that. Always assume everything is false and work your way up from there. In time, you will have a small database and should be able to start seeing the characteristics a genuine signature displays.

What to do then? For study excecise, take about 15 signed checks of your own. Have a good friend sign 3 more after signing your name several times to look like yours, same in etc.. Maybe someone who knows your signature well. Then mix them all up and examine them upside down and backward in a Photoprogram. The differences will be glaring - loops, formation, starts, stops, interior shapes inside letters, placement, baseline and so on. The great thing is you can start to do these exercises with anyone signature. Try the Puig again and determine why it was no good. Not just "too fluid" but what else? What character formation was severely wrong?

Try looking for sites like these:
    http://davidsautographsignings.blogspot.com/2012/08/8-27-12-yasiel-puig.html
    [L=]http://truetotheblue81.blogspot.com/2013/07/yasiel-puig-autograph-signing-photos.html[/L]

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    it is obvious you know about these things. Some of your answers are a bit ambiguous though. The link you provided does not seem to work on my ISP .Anyway I would like to buy a Puig autograph item from/through you. Again. Not trying to be a jerk. It is a birthday gift and the birthday has passed so I am a bit in trouble.

regards
    Mike
    Carpe diem
  • Options
    Hi Miket,

Ooh - please tel me where I was vague - not intended. I'll clarify myself.

The links - just bad HTML on my part. Here - to avoid my same mistake just cut and paste the addresses below:

http://davidsautographsignings.blogspot.com/2012/08/8-27-12-yasiel-puig.html

http://truetotheblue81.blogspot.com/2013/07/yasiel-puig-autograph-signing-photos.html

Like many, I do not deal with sports material - I could quote forgery but that is rampant. I just am not a sports guy - never been to a game of any kind in my life. If you can dig up his current values and some exemplars, I will gladly help advise you on a purchase. All things should be in place, guarantee, feedback - all of it.

Best wishes,
    Eric

• Options
    Thank you this will help.
    Carpe diem
  • Options
    Hi mike image

Whatever I can do. Really. Let me please see whatever you buy (before) if you act quickly - (rarely a good idea). With overall and accumulated experience you can do this work in "a night" to a degree but it takes quite a while to get the swing. Soon you'll bed spotting stuff like an eagle! image

Eric

PS - for fun (NOT added confusion) read the other thread about the Ichiro Suzuki bat and another TPG. Just don't let it freak you out - those guys all have personal axes to grind - apparently before they do their work - so its entertainment - informative entertainment. My idea is to eventually move the starter collector into a zone of comfortably where he can make at least some purchases on his won without the need to rely on an opinion backed by nothing given buy a business with stock holders who much be happy. You just want an authentic autograph. For those with willingness to learn (NOT big pockets - not necessary), this can be a do-it-yourself hobby to a degree - especially with the stuff I see getting passed these days! I has taken me over 12 years to get here - more - other seem to take the same and up to 20 years and the majority of those either make "mistakes", pass the wrong stuff, or have connections or relations best left alone. If more people educated themselves carefully, you'd see 1/3 to 2/3 or so of all material in collections is bad for an equal fraction of collectors -roughly speaking.

There are things when buying balls and I am out of my element here but will mention them - ballpoint is preferred I believe, certain types of balls/makes/models, placement (sweet spot) and other stuff. Maybe a post in the Non Sport Memorabilia asking about the key elements of a super signed ball - what are the bells and whistles. And how to store afterward. Fading etc? Perhaps you know much of this - I do not.

Eric :-)
  • Options
    Miket,

Enable your PM's and I will send you a scan of signatures to test you using the techniques I briefly outlined above, if you like :-)

Eric
  • Options
    ?? Looking to help ??

Did you buy one? I check here multiple times a day and had hoped to assist you.

Eric
  • Options
    PM enabled.( I think)
    Carpe diem
  • Options
    Yup - it is enabled. I have sent you a PM image

Eric
  • Options
    Hi Miket,

my work load has doubled image - I have your scans and need to add the color and then I will send them.

Best,
    Eric
  • Options
    PM sent image

Eric
  • Options
    Hi image

Scans in your mailbox. Looking forward to discussion. Don't over-think and have an observable basis for each opinion is my suggestion.

Eric