Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Bo jackson 1986 Memphis chicks, Please help verify

The card #28 that says Memphis on it --- PSA apparently grades

Card #10 Time out for cards (or soemthing like that) jersey says chicks on it -- Beckett grades

It appears that neither grade both??

Do you have any further knowledge on one or either card that would help clarify this situation?
Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me know if you have anything
  • Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    According to the SCD Sportscard Counterfeit Detector book copyright 1992, edited by Bob Lemke, the goofy smiling Bo with Chicks is legit and the Memphis is a counterfeit yet I have seen it slabbed. Both have silver and gold border variations. Also the team set commons all say Chicks and they would have shot the photos the same day so why logically would only Bo have a different uniform? Production was noted as 10,000 gold and 5,000 silver
  • Options
    I believe PSA grades this card they just dont label it "Time out sports" Both are number 28. I would guess the number 10 might come from a secondary set since it is a different photo than the regular 1986 Memphis Chicks card. Just my opion, i have no supporting evidence.

.1986 Memphis Chicks Bo JacksonTime out sports BGS
  • Options

<< <i>According to the SCD Sportscard Counterfeit Detector book copyright 1992, edited by Bob Lemke, the goofy smiling Bo with Chicks is legit and the Memphis is a counterfeit yet I have seen it slabbed. Both have silver and gold border variations. Also the team set commons all say Chicks and they would have shot the photos the same day so why logically would only Bo have a different uniform? Production was noted as 10,000 gold and 5,000 silver >>

thank you so much. i bought this set back in 1986 and my set shows "chicks" on his uniform and to my knowledge they only issued this one set. beckett only recognizes the chicks version, psa only recogizes the memphis version. psa has made a major mistake twice. anybody have enough clout to tell them?
  • Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    Here is the complete team set. What makes logical sense? A card with the same background as everyone else in the set or one that doesn't look like any of the other cards in the set and there are no other cards of commons out there with a similar background?

And the one that smells of reprint/unauthorized issue or perhaps a "past-posted" card. Check the font of "Bo jackson" below. Ask yourself, why doesn't the font of any individual letter in his name match up with a letter font-wise of the same letter contined in the names of the commons in the team set?:

At the turn of the millenium, minor league cards were huge and raw prices were unreal. Thus, reprinting was rampant and issuing cards "past-posted" was common, e.g. "1982 Anchorage Mark McGwire" that was really printed in 1988. Minor league cards from the 80's are still quite collectible because many were not mass-produced compared to the nationally produced sets but to collect these, one must arm themselves with a lot of knowledge. Use your gut, logic, common sense. Get magnification tools and the best bet is get a network of collectors that you can share info such as magnified pics/video and to be able to compare multiple examples of the same card or at least have some commons to compare to. Usually the reprint will stand out like a sore thumb.
  • Options
    Minorleaguer,

You're info has been invaluable. I really appreciate it. I just bought the only two "chicks" versions that were on Ebay. They sound kind of rare.
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    These cards are moderately rare. There were 5,000 sets of silver and 10,000 sets of gold made. I agree with MinorLeaguer that the cards in which Bo has the same jersey and seating position as his teammates in gold and silver are probably the only legitimate ones. The best way to avoid getting a fake is to buy a set. People will fake Bo, but not likely to reproduce the whole team. You'll find that there are some variations of pose and color of card and Bo's outfit. PSA has graded examples of all variations (see detroitlion's set), however, like mentioned they are all categorized just as silver/gold (even a black card, categorized as gold) without a different certification. That having been said, you can buy team sets of silver for about $35.00 and gold for $18.00. Although they are not that hard to find, the cards are condition sensitive so finding a PSA10 gradeable copy will be a challenge.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    Here is the official word on this card from the 2010 Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards edited by Don Fluckinger (Krause) on pg. 1228. The book includes a photograph of the card pictured below.

1986 Memphis Chicks Bo Jackson "Blue Jersey"
    Made to resemble the legitimate Time Out Sports Memphis Chicks team set with a silver border, this unauthorized collector's issue pictures Jackson in a blue away jersey rather than the white home uniform.
    Bo Jackson (No Collectible Value)

• Options

<< <i>Minorleaguer,

You're info has been invaluable. I really appreciate it. I just bought the only two "chicks" versions that were on Ebay. They sound kind of rare. >>

I submitted an autographed one to PSA last summer for red flip and was told they would only authenticate the auto. Anyone know why?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Minorleaguer,

You're info has been invaluable. I really appreciate it. I just bought the only two "chicks" versions that were on Ebay. They sound kind of rare. >>

I submitted an autographed one to PSA last summer for red flip and was told they would only authenticate the auto. Anyone know why? >>

I sent an email to Joe Orlando about this situation and apparently that just don't a clue about which one is real and not. They have been grading the "memphis" version as real, which has been verified as not real. I think this situation (and many others) has prompted PSA to hire someone to look into these situations. Look at the top of message boards for the job opportunity.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Minorleaguer,

I submitted an autographed one to PSA last summer for red flip and was told they would only authenticate the auto. Anyone know why? >>

I sent an email to Joe Orlando about this situation and apparently that just don't a clue about which one is real and not. They have been grading the "memphis" version as real, which has been verified as not real. I think this situation (and many others) has prompted PSA to hire someone to look into these situations. Look at the top of message boards for the job opportunity. >>

I thought it was relatively well known that the Memphis one was a fake but have seen PSA graded ones on eBay.
  • Options
    Does anyone have a scan of the back of the card with the #10 on it. All the variations i have all have #28 on the back. It does not matter if its the silver, gold, or black bordered all have #28 on them
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone have a scan of the back of the card with the #10 on it. All the variations i have all have #28 on the back. It does not matter if its the silver, gold, or black bordered all have #28 on them >>

I think it may have been a labeling error by BGS. If you look at the auction you have linked above, the back photo shows #28 as well.
  • Options
    Anybody have any information on this card? I cannot find it anywhere online.
  • Options
    DaClydeDaClyde Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Specifically what information are you seeking that is not already contained in this thread?