Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

question about grading perforated cards

Does anyone know how edges are graded on a card that has 3 edges perforated? What do graders look for? Also, I've seen perforated cards that have corners perforated and the same card with corners sharp like a normal card. Would this make a difference in the grade? Any info would be great!

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a scan of the card I have similar to what you described. The perforations must NOT be cut, they have to be torn or you will get "evid of trim".

Hope this helps.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Old thread, but does anyone have more experience getting perforated cards graded? The above looks pretty good to me, and it's only a 6. Is it that much better than this one, which is a gem 10: PSA 10 perforated Jordan
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I do not collect graded cards, but in collecting a set of the Topps 67 Punch Outs, I saw a lot of inconsistencies in how they were graded. Those cards came in three card perforated strips. You could separate them by bending them and pulling apart, or cutting them. Cutting as mentioned by Joe is supposed to be a no no. But I have seen highly graded Punch Outs with a smooth top and bottom border. That is impossible without cutting them or trimming off the separated perforations. All of them should have at least one serrated edge, or, in the case of the middle card, two...unless cut or trimmed
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    I may just start buying these already graded. I have no luck with them.