Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

'55 Bowman FB pack eviscerated at the Natty

Comments

• Options
    Wow, thanks for sharing, that's amazing. I get a kick out of watching those vintage breaks. If only those cards were packed the other way around!
  • Options
    Vince Vaughn loves the unopened 1955 Bowman
  • Options
    That was fun! Looks like they got their money's worth.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pack! Probably made a few bucks on it if grades go their way and that's saying something with a pack from 1955!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Very nice!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    I was lucky enough to see this live!!! What a thrill it was to witness such a HOF loaded pack being opened, despite it being bitten by the vintage gum gremlins.

Scott
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    So much fun to watch. Thank you for sharing.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    The guy Scott who was opening the pack was a friend of mine 20 years ago. It was nice to see him still in the game.
  • Options

<< <i>The guy Scott who was opening the pack was a friend of mine 20 years ago. It was nice to see him still in the game. >>

I'm assuming that was Scott Greenwald? He and Leighton were always great to deal with~I wish they sold more unopened though. Years back, they had quite a bit of it for sale.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    No, it looked like a guy I knew (and sounded) named Scott Alpaugh.
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>No, it looked like a guy I knew (and sounded) named Scott Alpaugh. >>

Indeed it was... you can tell by his modelesque, yet distinctively manly, hands. image

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>

Indeed it was... you can tell by his modelesque, yet distinctively manly, hands. image

Snorto~ >>

Moo.

• Options

<< <i>

Snorto~ >>

I was impressed at the quality production of that rip. It was a shame that the Walker and Van Brocklin had seepage.
  • Options
    mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    WOW, What a Killer Pack Rip that turned out to be!!

Mr. Hands was indeed Scott Alpaugh ..... The Man, The Myth, The Legend.
    Great Guy!
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WOW, What a Killer Pack Rip that turned out to be!!

Great Guy! >>

Indeed a great guy, and a solid member of this very forum.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>WOW, What a Killer Pack Rip that turned out to be!!

Great Guy! >>

Indeed a great guy, and a solid member of this very forum. >>

See my hint above. image

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    OK I'll ask. How do you get those last two cards apart with minimum damage? Doug
  • Options
    leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    The bald guy who was also taking video is Curt Schmidgall who's a member of this forum...but I can' remember his handle.
  • Options
    I knew Scott Alpaugh through a mutual friend in the early 1990's, and it was MY pleasure to have traveled with him to several shows.

He was one of the first people I had encountered with an incredible attention to small detail when it came to sports stats, cards, and analyzing. These are WELL before the days of the Internet and a huge access to information.

It was just cool to see him on the video.

Greg

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>OK I'll ask. How do you get those last two cards apart with minimum damage? Doug >>

I believe putting them in the freezer (not sure how long) and then they should come apart quite easily.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The bald guy who was also taking video is Curt Schmidgall who's a member of this forum...but I can' remember his handle. >>

Here is my handle image. It was incredible watching that pack rip, many thanks to Leighton and Scott from Just Collect for putting it together.
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the ugly guy they interviewed about 55 Bowman before the rip is a member here too.
  • Options
    PLEHRPLEHR Posts: 102
    / Was that Steve Largent?image
  • Options
    I think it was Largent's stalker.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

<< <i>I think it was Largent's stalker. >>

Yea..but he's got a great head of hair. haha
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Yea..but he's got a great head of hair. haha >>

You mean like this?

I will say that it was rather fun ripping the pack. The Joe Perry was graded on-site and came back a PSA 8.
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Scott, did they have any luck separating those Brock and Doak cards? image

Still can't believe the player selection and centering in that pack!

Snorto~
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Yea..but he's got a great head of hair. haha >>

He's not just the president, he's a client. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>Scott, did they have any luck separating those Brock and Doak cards? image

Still can't believe the player selection and centering in that pack!

Snorto~ >>

I do believe they came apart shortly after the video ends, I did not see how cleanly however. The Walker clearly had staining on the back edge, it being the second card in, the Brocklin probably had it too image

That Perry was only an 8, wow, looked better than that from where I was standing.
  • Options
    I think Leighton and Scott should do this again next year in Cleveland. Unfortunately, packs like that don't grow on trees.

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>OK I'll ask. How do you get those last two cards apart with minimum damage? Doug >>

I popped them apart after the video was done. Gave a little twist and they popped apart pretty easy, unfortunately they were both pretty bubbled from the gum. That Van Brocklin was amazing!

That was a blast to watch, thank you Leighton and Scott for doing that, and for letting us know it was happening the night before at the Cubs game! image

Im ignoring the Largent stalker comments, due to the conditions of my probation......
  • Options
    markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    So what were t;he grades?
  • Options

<< <i>

Im ignoring the Largent stalker comments, due to the conditions of my probation...... >>

You mean the restraining order?
  • Options

<< <i>

Im ignoring the Largent stalker comments, due to the conditions of my probation...... >>

I always thought you were a quality member. What happened ?
  • Options
    Don't know if they got their 700 bucks worth . They would need at least one of the cards to be a PSA 9 in order to come close to making a profit .
  • Options
    bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I always thought you were a quality member. What happened ? >>

Just google "Steve Largent bathroom stall hidden camera" to find out...... image
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I always thought you were a quality member. What happened ? >>

Just google "Steve Largent bathroom stall hidden camera" to find out...... image >>

I think you're misunderstanding the usage of the word, "member."
  • Options

<< <i>I think Leighton and Scott should do this again next year in Cleveland. Unfortunately, packs like that don't grow on trees. >>

We'll be opening a 1958 Topps Football Cello at the National in Cleveland. Perhaps even a daily pack ripping, but certainly the '58 Topps Cello looking for a smoking Jim Brown. I'll post the details later in the year as we get closer to the National.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think Leighton and Scott should do this again next year in Cleveland. Unfortunately, packs like that don't grow on trees. >>

We'll be opening a 1958 Topps Football Cello at the National in Cleveland. Perhaps even a daily pack ripping, but certainly the '58 Topps Cello looking for a smoking Jim Brown. I'll post the details later in the year as we get closer to the National. >>

Did Carnac the Magnificent take a look at that cello or will it be a surprise? image

Collecting:
  • Options
    lucky all the cards weren't ruined lol
    I edit almost all my posts because my auto correct is crazy !
  • Options
    1958 FB cello, Nice image

I look forward to it!