Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What is the hardest high-grade 1979?

Looking on eBay I saw a 1979 Willie Stargell PSA 8 selling for $75!!. I purchased about 75 of them 15 years ago, and thinking I may have some 8's and maybe 9's I looked. I found THREE that may receive an 8, that's it. The sharp one's either have a print line or are off-center and an 8(pd) won't be worth subbing. BUMMER!!

Comments

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Yes. This is one of the toughest in the set. I've had an 8, but let it go a few months ago. I'd like to see a nice centered one.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    having done the whole 70s decade and having left the 1979 set for last because I thought it would be a relatively "easy" completion run...HOLY MOTHER OF ALL SMOKES is this set under-rated in difficulty! I thought that 1977s would end up being thought to be a very under-rated and difficult set to complete in high grade but this set is harder IMO. I am now under 50 to complete this set...there are so many difficult cards - hard to list them all
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    How much does a '79 Stargell PSA 9 generally cost?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1979 is definitely a tough set to put together in Mint or Gem Mint grade, much tougher than 1978, and in my experience, even tougher than 1975 minis. Unfortunately, though, prices for these cards do not reflect the difficulty of the set, and unless you are putting together a graded set for your own enjoyment, you are almost certainly going to lose money opening packs and submitting cards for grading.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Quick update on the 79 Stargell. The recently concluded Greg Bussineau auction had the 79 Stargell PSA 10 (Pop 1) finish at $2,190.
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all "right-thinking" people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”