Home Sports Talk

Why no hold?

R. Ross RP for TEX entered game on 7-2-2013 in the 5th inning. Score was Tex 6- A's 3. Pitched .2 innings, left game with bases loaded.
Incoming pitcher (Frasor) did NOT let inhetited base runners score. Score at end of 5th inning Tex 6-A's 3. Wouldn't this be considered
a hold ? Or am i missing something?

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Looks like this is the definition (I know it can vary a little considering it's not an official MLB stat).

1. Enters the game in a save situation; that is, when all of the following three conditions apply:

(a) He appears in relief (i.e., is not the starting pitcher); and
    (b) He is not the winning pitcher; and
    (c) He qualifies under one of the following conditions:

(i) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and maintains that lead for at least one inning
    (ii) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat, or on deck
    (iii) He pitches effectively for at least three innings.

2. Records at least one out

3. Leaves the game before it has ended without his team having relinquished the lead at any point and does not record a save.

Looks like he met #2 and #3. He also met #1A and #1B. He does NOT meet #1C(i) or #1C(iii). Therefore, he would have had to meet #1C(ii). We don't have enough info to know this. If he started the inning, he would not meet this. If he came in during the inning, he would meet this if there was at least 1 runner on. If no runners on, then he would NOT get the HOLD. I THINK I read this correctly! LOL

Edited to add: I just looked at the box score. He did not inherit any runners, so he would not meet #1C(ii). If he started the inning he would have had to pitch a full inning.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    "he enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and maintiains that lead for at leas one inning" would apply to closers to
    get the "save", but I thought this def was modified for "holds" whereas: " He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs
    and records at least one out"

• 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Were the bases loaded when he entered the game? I looked up states for July 2nd and didn't see Ross pitch, but was it the August 2nd game? In that game he allowed 2 hits, which would tell me that he entered the game and the tying run was not on base, at bat or on deck. I would suppose the next pitcher would have qualified for a hold but since he got the win he didn't qualify.

Honestly I wish they'd get rid of holds and saves, as they are absolutely meaningless, and are a made up stat by agents to get their clients more money. The same with the 'quality start' garbage.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    It would seem to me that a reliever cannot get a hold if the SP is not in line for the win. The SP left before 5 IP, so my guess is that is why Ross didn't get a hold - he wasn't "holding" a win for the SP.
  • CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    That's a logical and reasonable explanation. Thanks Bos Fan....