Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2013 NSCC Promo Babe Ruth The Card That Never Was....

These were handed out at the PSA luncheon. A very cool item.

Pretty wild these are on EBAY already.

EBAY item 360711140414 is at $67

They are numbered to 500 which is pretty cool.

I am on my Ipad so if someone will post a link that would be great.

Comments

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks!

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Hmmm, wonder why the reverse was printed the way it was???
    I flipped it over so you could read it
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Hmmm, wonder why the reverse was printed the way it was??? >>

They did it that way on purpose. The original Cracker Jack cards were made that way. You'd glue the copyright info part onto a scrapbook. Then, if you bent the card, you could flip it up and read the bio information on the back.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    DPeck.....good to meet you bro!
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    You too Ron B!

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    I renewed my membership 3 months early to get this card. Being from Milwaukee, I was stoked to be given 414/500 (414 is Milwaukee's area code).
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    The first promo card ended today, sold by Probstein for $180!
  • Options
    NIIIIIIIICE!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Healthy price!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Thats a neat looking card
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    It is very cool in hand.

Does anyone know the story behind the raw one's? There seem to be quite a few of those too.

Michelle came with me to the show so I was able to get two of the cards which was exciting.

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe all the VIPs received one in their swag bag, but I don't know for sure.
  • Options

<< <i>I believe all the VIPs received one in their swag bag, but I don't know for sure. >>

No, only those that attended the luncheon received the Slabbed version. the raw ones were given out in bunches at the Memory Lane Booth as well as one stapled to a flyer in the VIP bag
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Actually if you renewed your PSA membership, one of those slabbed and numbered
    to 500 CJ's of Ruth was in the PSA bag you received, along with a current SMR, some card savers,
    your free card submission sheet, a great looking hardbound Cracker Jack book, etc...

• Options

<< <i>Actually if you renewed your PSA membership, one of those slabbed and numbered
    to 500 CJ's of Ruth was in the PSA bag you received, along with a current SMR, some card savers,
    your free card submission sheet, a great looking hardbound Cracker Jack book, etc... >>

This makes since. I think there were just over a few hundred at the luncheon.

• Options
    To continue on in the best tradition of modern cards initiated by the scoundrels at Upper Deck --
    can we ask PSA to have more sheets printed?

I don't see why only 500 people should have this national treasure. That seems
    purely arbitrary and unfair.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭
    The raw versions were dist'd by Memory Lane and have their advertizing on the card-back. The "real" one is PSA-slabbed and has a reverse that's faithful to the '15 C.J.'s (down to the upside-down orientation!)
  • Options
    Probstein $201.50

This just closed on the 14th. The price seems to be holding up pretty well so far.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Dave ... looks like there have been recent BINs on eBay for almost half that price. Still a great price for a freebie!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    The $200+ sales seem to be outlyers but there are four active auctions right now on EBAY over $100.

I think this is pretty solid with how much time has passed since they first hit EBAY.
  • Options
    jgrigalijgrigali Posts: 364 ✭✭
    I think it's still waaaaayyy to short a period of time to say thy will hold value
  • Options

<< <i>I think it's still waaaaayyy to short a period of time to say thy will hold value >>

I don't disagree. There have been 40 sales of the card so far on EBAY and it still is selling above $100 which is a good number of cards to have traded hands. Obviously time will tell what happens.

I have no plans to sell mine so it is really irrelevant what happens to the value but it is certainly entertaining to watch.
  • Options
    I just did a search to see how this card was holding up and the last three sales are $89, $91 and $104.50.

• Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    What do you guys think of this? This card pictured has the text centered on the PSA flip, while the other two currently up on eBay are left justified. Fake?

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    creecree Posts: 393 ✭✭
    You should contact PSA and ask if they slabbed any of these cards like this.
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    No need to contact psa regarding this discrepancy; after noticing the two different flips in mid-august a couple weeks after returning from the national and seeing the plethora of them on ebay both centered and otherwise (mine falls into the "otherwise" category as it isnt centered; i got mine at the psa luncheon so i know psa slabbed it!!), I emailed joe orlando about this at that time and this was his response:

"Second, on the label….that issue was brought to my attention after the fact.  Our staff made the error.  They were all supposed to be centered.  In fact, if you or anyone else prefers the centered look and wants to re-holder it - it will be at no charge."
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Cool, thanks for the info Mike.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    All of the serial number 99 and lower are centered, 100 and up are not.

------
    stupid print dots