Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Is it OK to email set registry members - selling cards they need for their PSA sets?

I want to get a feel of the members of the boards before I consider emailing (borderline spam) set registry members with an opportunity to buy cards they need for their sets. I've received these types of emails before - and didn't mind - but I am interested in more than just my thoughts before I consider sending out email to set owners. Your thoughts?

Comments

• 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I appreciate and welcome other members contacting me when I need cards. I have a mix of reaction from other collectors when i have tried though. If the offer is fair regardless of trading or selling I would think most members would love to hear from you.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • creecree Posts: 393 ✭✭
    I would go to the buy, sell, trade forum and post your items from there. Collectors will see it and I am sure you won't have any problems selling your items to a board member. That is how I would do it. Good luck.
  • ABellPharmDABellPharmD Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    I know I share my email in hopes of someone reaching out with something I may need or to talk about a particular set. I think introducing yourself and asking the set owner if they are looking for a particular card is reasonable. Many people who use the registry do not participate on the forums. I have bought cards from other set registry users after first sharing emails, discussing a favorite set.
    I collect Cal Ripken cards, T206, E95, E210, R319.
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    I think if people put the little mail symbol next to their set names, it is OK to email them with cards they need.
    Capecards
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭✭
    Several sellers alert me to cards I may need.
    Thats great. except when it doesn't follow my collection. I only collect psa but
    recently was offered a bunch of bvg stuff I don't want

I get offers to buy. If the offer is realisrtic...again I don't mind.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    Ya, you should...

I'm sure Marc would love someone to email him they want to sell the pop 1 PSA 10 1975 Topps Mike Schmidt to finally finish off the set at 10.0

Just sayin'
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, either via PM, or email.
  • WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I am referring to using the actual set registry email link on PSA (not the message boards). As one member has noted, not all PSA set collectors use the message boards.

I've sold a good portion of the set I am liquidating on the BST boards - here but haven't moved any cards from this set in a while. I've got about 160 remaining and really don't want to feed ebay any more fees so I thought I'd give this another shot.
    Sadly, most people on the boards don't want to pay market price so you end up doing ebay anyway...
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I think it is fine to use the set registry email link to offer cards to Registry members. I have done this in the past with no negative reaction from anyone. At best I sold my cards ... at worst I received no response.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • RAPTORSRULE04RAPTORSRULE04 Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    I'm okay as long as it is relevant to my collection.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm okay as long as it is relevant to my collection. >>

Before I sent any email, I would make sure that the card I am offering to The Registry owner would improve his Registry set.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • I fyou have something i need, send me a notice...if someone don't want to get such emails they shouldn't post their email address', its only 1 click

• << <i>Sadly, most people on the boards don't want to pay market price so you end up doing ebay anyway... >>

and this is a problem how?? You really think the majority of people will just pay what ever 'the market' says? Sorry, Im not so free with my money. I believe the majority are looking out for a deal. Do you go buy a car at what ever the dealer has it listed for? doubt it
  • cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    Good points. I would add that an eBay auction is essentially 'the market' so I tend to buy there. As a buyer, the great part of the auction is the chance to get something 'below market' which occasionally occurs. It's also part of the fun. Why would I lock in the 'market price' on a PSA board? It just doesn't make sense for the buyer. That's why there are so few transaction on the boards and millions of transactions on eBay.
    My point exactly... Since the seller was asking and NOT the buyer.
  • hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd listen to any and all offers. I wouldn't mind at all. But I've only got like 6 sets on there. Tippett, Taylor, Thomas that I am, for lack of better terms, half-a$$ing , so I don't expect many offers.
    I completed a set, an easy, just to say I could do it. Good enough for me. I've requested a Scott Stevens registry, Which I would make a solid effort on, but PSA is half a$sing that request so I'm thisclose to cracking out all my Scott Stevens, sending them to SGC or BGS and saying F- u PSA for being so damn slow. But I get like that sometimes image
  • There are a couple sets I'm pursuing pretty aggressively, so I welcome offers through the registry. You can always hide your email address if you prefer not to be contacted.

Dave Fanning
    dfanredsfan
    Dave Fanning
    dfanredsfan
  • firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    I personally appreciate the offers that I get. I don't always pull the the trigger, but I still appreciate the thought.

Matt
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for asking this question - I think it's a good question to ask, because there's a fine line between an offer and a hustle.

Most guys on the registry know what the value of their cards are. If you're actively building a set, you probably have a fair idea what your acquisition costs should be. If you're looking for a card that isn't that scarce but you're not willing to pay the "going" price, it's a bit insulting to have someone offer you the card through the registry for the same price or more than what the card is marketing for. I usually ignore such offers.

However, if the seller has researched what the card is going for and makes me an offer substantially under that, I have never refused, assuming it is a set I'm actively building.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a collector, I would like to hear from you if you have upgrades for me. Sometimes I will pay a premium for something I "need".

As a former salesman, I would think it just makes sense to contact anyone who is actively collecting what I have, as long as I act in a professional manner.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set