Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

First Day at the Nationa UPDATED!

Just got back a little while ago from the first day at the National. Once again they sold out of VIP passes but this year I bought mine in advance. Very crowded for the first day (4:00-8:00pm). A very big show as usual with just about anything you might want to see. The PSA booth was very crowded also. Had to wait 15 minutes just to submit a card for a re-holder. They were busy at the other grading company booths also. I picked up about a dozen 1953-54 Topps cards in NM condition. As is the norm, it is very difficult to find 1950s cards in any higher condition that ex-mint to near mint. I don't usually buy graded cards at the National due to high prices but I did pick up a nicely centered 1961 PSA 9 Topps Elston Howard for $145. The dealer had $175 on it and I have been looking for a centered '61 Howard in PSA 9. I was surprised when I offered $145 and he sad yes. I didn't get through more than 50% of the show because I spent some time at a couple tables but it was very busy and I saw a lot of money exchange hands. Quite a few dealers told me they had already bought and sold a lot of their inventory during the dealer time prior to the opening of the show to the public. Anyway, looks like a great show and I anticipate it is going to be very crowded in the coming days.

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love it, Rich! Thanks for the update.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    Went to the show today and had an amazing time. Met some great people and picked up some really cool items.

I have an extra VIP pass available which is good for admission to the next 4 days of the show (and you get in 30 minutes early too), complete with all VIP autograph tickets (no cards tho). Am in Rosemont now. Send me a PM if you're interested and we can meet up tonight or tomorrow morning.
    Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    Thanks for the update. Can't wait for some more updates and scans to follow!
  • Options
    Rich, great update. Kepp us informed with day 2 please.

Also, pictures - and lots of them please image
  • Options
    PSARichPSARich Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    Day 2 is now history for me. This morning for the first few hours was very busy but seemed to settle down in the PM. Most dealers have told me they are having a good show. I have seen many thousands of dollars change hands just at tables where I have been looking. One of my favorite dealers, Jack from Jack's Sports Cards in Ohio, purchased two boxes of cards within a 10 minute span for $2000 and $1500 rspectively. He let me take a look at them first and I bought a nice 1959 Mays along with some other nicer 1957s and 1959s. Also bought a couple more PSA cards from a dealer. A 1963 PSA 9 McCarver and a 1959 PSA 7.5 Doby for $150 altogether. Once again, I made an offer and it was accepted. The Doby looks undergraded as it is the nicest 7.5 I have ever seen..so I will resubmit it and maybe it will get an 8. On the down side, I dropped a card off a PSA just for reholdering when the show started yesterday and it is still not done. PSA's Crosetta, a great lady if any of you know her, said that their 2 hour service takes precident and they are swamped with 2-hour submissions. The card companies and blowout areas are crazy busy with all their promotions and at times you cannot get near them. I would say the autograph pavillion has not been overly busy, at least not when I have been in the area. On a final note, the traffic was nuts around the Convention Center today. It seems a new discount mall opened nearby causing traffic backups everywhere.

Tomorrow is the annual PSA Set Registry Luncheon which is always a great time plus always great food and drink.