Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Need help with Topps set articles by Peter Putman - PLEASE HELP!'

Hello gang! I am a Topps set builder as most of you know and was surfing the internet for a summary of 1957 Topps baseball cards, which is my favorite vintage Topps set. I read a very well written article by Pete Putman and decided to print it off and add it to my binder to help complement my set. I think this is a great way to help enhance my set and give my son some background about the set when he gets older and one day inherits my Topps set collection. I then did some more searching and found five more Topps articles written by Mr. Putman: 1952, 1953, 1960, 1962, and 1963. These articles are amazing! I went ahead and added those to my set collection as well. However, I am unable to find any more of these awesome articles and would like to find more by Mr. Putman if they exist. If they don’t exist, I would love to hear some of your thoughts on what I could use as a summary for each Topps set. Any ideas? Please help! Thank you!

Craig from Texas

Comments

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Here's couple I used for my 1970 set.

1970 Topps article

1970 Topps article 2
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    Dennis,

That's exactly what I'm looking for! Well written articles that are thorough with pictures. Thank you for sharing that! Anyone else have some from the other years that I need? I just think these articles really enhance a set if you store them in binders.

Thanks!

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    These are not exactly what you are seeking but if you have not checked out these blogs they are worth some time

toppsarchives.blogspot.com

boblemke.blogspot.com

A google search for "Pete Putman Bseball Card Articles" turns up most of his stuff

I have a Topps set run, 1948 and 1951 to 2013 and keep articles with most the older sets myself, but in hard copy. If you have some specific years in mind I can see if I have a reference for you

Al From Texas
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Thank you for the information. I am familiar with the topps archives blog but will check out the other one. I'm really just focused on getting one solid article per year to further enhance my sets. So I need a lot of articles since I just started this little project. I'm sure I'll find one of each online. If I have problems finding an article, I'll write one myself. I'm just trying to save myself some time. image

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1970 Topps article
    >>

"A closer look at the bleakly designed 1970 Topps offering reveals some disturbing patterns. This set, for example, showcases the rookie card of Thurman Munson (#189) and one of the last singles of Roberto Clemente (#350), two stars that perished in plane crashes before their playing careers were over. Also featured is the inaugural single of Jim Spencer (#255), the ex-Yankee who died suddenly of a heart attack in 2002."

Is that a joke? The set is jinxed because those 3 players (in a 720-card set) died within the next 32 years? I have a feeling the author blows quite a bit of money on phone psychics and horoscope books.