Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How about a "Guess the Grade" on a 1906 Barber 25c ???

dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
What say you? image Note: The luster is all there.

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

Comments

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    AU58
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In order to GTG I would need larger images...but from what I can see I will say that I like it.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    Looks like it has full mint luster and clean surfaces. Maybe a print fragment in right obv field? Please post a blow up the size of a dinner plate so that we can down grade it for every tiny mark that requires 30x power to see.

CG
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    If it ain't 58, my next guess would be 64.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    58+ cac gold

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Here's a hint, it's MS
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If it ain't 58, my next guess would be 64. >>

That was the first thought that hit me also. Soooo I'll go the other way . . . 64.

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    MS64

Doug
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The photo angle or lighting used makes the cheek look rubbed....but since the OP has said the luster is all there and
    it's MS, I'll go with 64....

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    I saw the coin .. I will keep quiet .. heh this is going to be interesting
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>The photo angle or lighting used makes the cheek look rubbed....but since the OP has said the luster is all there and
    it's MS, I'll go with 64.... >>

I definitely appreciate the comment, but I'm not seeing the rub on the cheek in the photo, and certainly not on the coin in-hand. Very interesting all of the differing opinions based on the image. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. In that case, the "picture" sure better be spot on! Thanks to all who have responded so far. The coin is outstanding in-hand. image
  • Options

<< <i>I saw the coin .. I will keep quiet .. heh this is going to be interesting >>

Yes, please keep quiet. image
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pics aren't good enough, but looks MS65 from here. Full luster in the fields, and I can't see any major marks.
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw the coin .. I will keep quiet .. heh this is going to be interesting >>

With a little research, I see I wasn't far off.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll wager 64. Nice looking Barber image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

<< <i>Pics aren't good enough, but looks MS65 from here. Full luster in the fields, and I can't see any major marks. >>

I am looking at the coin with a 10x loop right now, and I'd like to say you are spot on, IMHO. BTW, Ron, you've never really missed the mark as far as I can recall. image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why everyone thinks this coin is AU. Looks MS64
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know why everyone thinks this coin is AU. Looks MS64 >>

I love controversy, and I cannot agree with you one smidgen more, Shamika! And you are by far one of the most respected and long time original members here on the forum that I can recall and respect here, since I joined 8+ years ago! imageimage
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS61

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    MS64 then...MS65 now. Or MS64-gold CAC.
    John Feigenbaum
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In order to GTG I would need larger images...but from what I can see I will say that I like it. >>

+1
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know why everyone thinks this coin is AU. Looks MS64 >>

Small pics might explain. Since it isn't AU, my next guess would be MS63
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU 58
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Early rattler holder conservatively graded at 64? Possible upgrade to 65? My recent 09-d in 64. Mid-grade 64 IMHO.
    imageimage
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    MS62
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would grade this coin an A+

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In order to GTG I would need larger images...but from what I can see I will say that I like it. >>

Images are too small to correctly grade that beautiful coin ... somehow it slipped under my radar !
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    64?
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    When you said it was MS I assumed that was what the label said - not what the sticker suggests. image
  • Options
    I'm not going to divulge the coin yet but I will say this, there's always a lot of rhetoric about the saying, "buy the coin not the holder". I will say with scientific mathematical certainty that those six words were created for this coin, period. image
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    Buy the coin and not the holder ........GREAT ! It is AU 58 which is my first impression, even though you say it's mint state. OK. Then the coin is a 63.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in 1989 this looks like a 63/64 coin. Back then a single hairline on the cheek kept any Barber from MS65. Now, even MS67's can have a stray facial hairline.

I'll go with 63 knowing that anything on this from 63-65 looks reasonable to me based on these tiny pics.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Ok folks, I apologize for calling it MS, BUT, I'm sorry it IS MS!!! and I grade it MS64 close to a MS65. My images are crude with flashes from my camera but this coin is all there! Strike, luster, and not a rub/scratch to speak of. Even has a cool die crack to the right of the "6". image

• Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    Nice coin! Yes, although that picture sure helps a lot when grading the coin. Too bad about the rattler being wrong and it is. Best of Luck
  • Options

<< <i>Ok folks, I apologize for calling it MS, BUT, I'm sorry it IS MS!!! and I grade it MS64 close to a MS65. My images are crude with flashes from my camera but this coin is all there! Strike, luster, and not a rub/scratch to speak of. Even has a cool die crack to the right of the "6". image

image >>

image For those who only start on the last page of a thread. image

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pickup! Are you going to do well on the coin if it grades 64/65?
  • Options

<< <i>Great pickup! Are you going to do well on the coin if it grades 64/65? >>

Paid a lot for it, doesn't really matter to me for I'm not planning on parting with this one any time soon. For four solid reasons: 1.) It is at least a MS64, shot MS65, at least from where I sit. 2.) It has the coveted Gold CAC bean (which I've never owned a coin with a gold bean before). 3.) It's in an old rattler holder and I happen to absolutely LOVE old PCGS rattler holders. and, 4.) I've always been fond of "any" coin with the 1906 date, for I am a San Francisco 1906 earthquake historian and "so-called" history buff. :-) ---In any event, I haven't bought coins in a while and I've always loved the monster-toners, but there was something about this Barber that hooked me, fish-line-and sinker! image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    AU55?

Nope!

Nope!

And nope!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    55?

A post liquid lunch slab?
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Should you ever decide to sell it, I'd love a shot at it.
    Thanks.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file