Home Sports Talk

Adrien Peterson talking crazy

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
From CBSSPORTS.com

In Week 17 of the 2012 season, Vikings running back Adrian Peterson ran for 199 yards against the Packers, giving him 2,097 yards for the year. That was nine short of breaking the single-season record set by Eric Dickerson in 1984.

Peterson hasn't forgotten that he was this close to the record (partially because Packers fans won't let him), and in order to raise the stakes, he has announced his goals for the 2013 season: 2,500 rushing yards. Beyond that, Peterson has his sights on Emmitt Smith's all-time rushing mark of 18,355 yards.

As it stands, Peterson has amassed 8,849 yards in six seasons. That works out to 1,474.8 yards per year. If Peterson maintains that pace, he'll need another six-and-a-half seasons eclipse Smith. That seems unlikely, but then again, Peterson has some experience with beating the odds.

Interestingly, Smith averaged 1,493 yards per season on 334.5 carries in his first five years. From years 6-10, that total dropped to 1,242 (on 306 carries), and the last four years of his career saw Smith average just 797 yards per season (on 218 carries). Likewise, Smith's rushing touchdowns declined from 16 to 9.8 to 4.8 over that same span, and his yards per carry fell from 4.5 to 4.1 to 3.5.

Peterson, meanwhile, sounds unconcerned with the math. In fact, he figures that, lord willing, he'll break Smith's record in 2017. Week 16 of the 2017 season, to be precise.

That's 79 games, which means AP will have to average 120.3 yards per game over that time, or more than 1,900 yards a season.

That seems ... well, impossible. Of course, we said the same thing about a running back rushing for more than 2,000 yards less than a year after shredding his knee to pieces.

I know AP is a beast but seriously? Why do these guys talk smack, this reminds me of another ridiculas statement made by Matt Kemp of the Dodgers last year saying he was going for 50/50 - the guy hasnt done chit since his foolish prediction, hopefully AP doesnt jinx himself too.

Comments

• << <i>I know AP is a beast but seriously? >>

No. He was not being serious
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you look at his yards per game last year, the thing that jumps out at you is how few yards he got in his first few games and still got to 2000. If he stays healthy and is given the ball 2500 is a definite possibility.

The all-time rushing yards record will be tougher as staying healthy could be the key here as well. With Peterson's ability to break long runs, he can rack up the yards very quickly.

The Vikings are trying to improve their passing attack, so he might not get as many opportunities. I feel they should be worried more about their defense. If they get too far behind in games, it's going to be pass, pass, pass.

Adrian IS a beast!!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • It's always been defensive problems for the Vikings. All Day can say what he wants right now, he's a beast and Ponder isn't going to be throwing for 300 yards a game. If the line holds up, it's possible!
  • Its okay for someone to have big aspirations. I'm okay with him throwing out big goals and not being a super humble guy. I hope he does it, it would be great to witness.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No way he will get 2500 yards rushing!