Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If a PCGS coin is upgraded does it keep the same cert number??

I realize it will be in a new holder with a new label; but will the new certification number be the same??
Ed

Comments

• Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    If it was crossed I believe the answer is yes.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, since the cert number refers to a specific coin with a specific grade. How can a coin that upgrades still be the same coin with the same grade as before?
  • Options
    NickcapNickcap Posts: 977
    If it is regraded and reholdered, yes new cert number.

It will keep the same cert number if it is only reholdered.
    Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    CoinflipCoinflip Posts: 842 ✭✭✭
    the first part of the cert number is specific to the grade etc
    SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure that if you sent in a rattler holdered coin for reholder that it should keep the same cert number since the most newest holder/insert would not be consistent with cert numbers having 7 digits and infact would cause PCGS unnecessary grief because people would be constantly wanting to know if it's counterfeit or not.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a reconsideration, it WILL keep the old number, regardless of the outcome.

On a regrade, it WILL NOT, regardless of the outcome.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On a reconsideration, it WILL keep the old number, regardless of the outcome.

On a regrade, it WILL NOT, regardless of the outcome. >>

This is my understanding. I'm not sure of the rationale but this is the way it works.
    Lance.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    It has changed over time. They used to keep the same serial number when they went for regrade. Now, I believe it gets a new number. The last batch I sent in they changed them all even if the grade didn't change. Years ago they would keep the old cert even if it changed. I would suggest calling customer service to find out what they do now.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, never, uh-uh.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    NickcapNickcap Posts: 977

<< <i>I'm not sure that if you sent in a rattler holdered coin for reholder that it should keep the same cert number since the most newest holder/insert would not be consistent with cert numbers having 7 digits and infact would cause PCGS unnecessary grief because people would be constantly wanting to know if it's counterfeit or not. >>

When a coin has originally 7 digit cert number, PCGS will add a zero to the beginningof the cert as a place holder.

Sorry for the poor image, but I am on my phine.

Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file