Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Brit collectors- got a William III 6d? A George I SSC shilling?

Post 'em if you've got 'em.

I've always liked the South Seas Company shillings.

Had an opportunity to buy a nice EF with some luster, perhaps 20 years ago, but it was 80 bucks, and that was tough for me in those days. I later wish I'd scratched up the money, obviously. I was working on a British monarch set at the time. On a truly tiny budget.

Well, I finally bought one. I'll post it later. I also bought a William III 6d in the same deal (and they look like they must have come out of the same old collection), so if you add those to the recently-acquired Aethelred penny, my last three newps have been English/British coins. I didn't really intend for it to work out that way, but I've always been fond of British coins, so that's fine with me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang! I was about to buy those two too. image

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Post 'em if you've got 'em.

I've always liked the South Seas Company shillings.

Had an opportunity to buy a nice EF with some luster, perhaps 20 years ago, but it was 80 bucks, and that was tough for me in those days. I later wish I'd scratched up the money, obviously. I was working on a British monarch set at the time. On a truly tiny budget.

Well, I finally bought one. I'll post it later. I also bought a William III 6d in the same deal (and they look like they must have come out of the same old collection), so if you add those to the recently-acquired Aethelred penny, my last three newps have been English/British coins. I didn't really intend for it to work out that way, but I've always been fond of British coins, so that's fine with me. >>

Well! I usually do not self promote...and if I am out of line I will not do it again! But here ya go! Sorry...not a linky expert yet!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Britain-1723-SSC-Shilling-George-Better-Grade-Luster-/290952916330?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item43be252d6a#ht_296wt_932

Not a 6P but a nice 2P!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Britain-1698-Silver-2-Pence-William-III-Nice-original-XF-/300940754576?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item4611777e90#ht_296wt_932
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well! I usually do not self promote...and if I am out of line I will not do it again! But here ya go! Sorry...not a linky expert yet! >>

Well, you and I don't know each other, and you had no idea I was gonna post this thread, and I did say "post 'em if you've got 'em, so I think you're kosher.

And if you get a little free promotion out of it, that's OK by me.

Here is your shilling, linkified.

And your halfgroat, likewise.

Actually, I am kind of happy to see your eBay pages, 'cause it gives me some comparison to mentally judge how I came out on the purchases of mine. (At least on my SSC shilling).

Thanks.

(I'd post your pix here, but my image satellite connection is acting up again, and running slower than dialup. But I saw them.)

PS- y'know, your SSC shilling is pretty close to the one I saw 20 years ago, and wished I had bought. I think that one would have made British EF, though, and it had a bit of luster. But yours is pretty doggone sharp. I really should have bought that other one way back then. Eighty bucks. Wow.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I've got those also, the 1697 6d:

And a 1723 SSC, I've got another regular SSC in higher grade but this is my favorite, this is the variety with French Arms at date, only a VF30 but the finest graded so far, and I picked it up raw in a UK auction pretty reasonably a couple of years ago:

• Options
    Wow, everybody's image-challenged tonight! image

Me, too, actually. There is no way I can upload with the connection I have, presently

JCMh, when you get your pix fixed, I'd love to see the other, higher grade SSC you mentioned, too.

Edit-no, wait- I see your pix, now.

Nice toning.

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Here you go LordM, this one is in 63, I really need to shoot another image of this one:

• Options
    Wow. Very nice.

I never would have imagined owning a Mint State example, on my budget, then or now.

Due to my current connection issues, I'll just link up my newps instead of posting the pix.

My SSC shilling

My 1697 6d

• Options

<< <i>Wow. Very nice.

I never would have imagined owning a Mint State example, on my budget, then or now.

Due to my current connection issues, I'll just link up my newps instead of posting the pix.

My SSC shilling

My 1697 6d >>

WOW! I'm either out of touch with the market or you got a heck of a deal!
  • Options
    Well I am definitely out of touch with the market, but it seemed a good deal to me. I didn't have my Spink handy and my Krause volumes don't go above XF, I don't think. But based on just XF Krause prices, and extrapolating from there, it seemed OK.

Especially since I got the pair for $175 less than their combined BIN prices, and about 40 bucks less than I had initially intended to offer.

• Options
    The shilling is L300 in XF according to 2013 Spink and the 1697 6 Pence is L350 in XF!
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>The shilling is L300 in XF according to 2013 Spink and the 1697 6 Pence is L350 in XF! >>

Wow! Maybe I got lucky.

I will have $450 in the shilling, and $475 in the sixpence.

Funny how I just kind of stumbled across them accidentally, while doing another search.

The sixpence really leapt out at me. (Note that it was listed in the "Crown" category.)

Then I saw the SSC shilling, and considering the opportunity I once missed to buy one, I had to have it, too.

The seller agreed to let me pay for them when my own auctions end, not quite two days from now.

• Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The shilling is L300 in XF according to 2013 Spink and the 1697 6 Pence is L350 in XF! >>

Wow! Maybe I got lucky.

I will have $450 in the shilling, and $475 in the sixpence.

Funny how I just kind of stumbled across them accidentally, while doing another search.

The sixpence really leapt out at me. (Note that it was listed in the "Crown" category.)

Then I saw the SSC shilling, and considering the opportunity I once missed to buy one, I had to have it, too.

The seller agreed to let me pay for them when my own auctions end, not quite two days from now. >>

These are two issues that routinely sell under Spink book, neither being rare (though there are scarcer varieties within the issue).