Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

dumb grading question.. I guess???

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
triggered by another post about which TPG to use, I have the following question. It is simple and straight forward:
assume the following:
you send coin X to one TPG. it comes back as MS 64. Assume it is now valued at $ 1000, based on the TPG grading
now, break the coin out and send it to the other TPG.
SAME coin comes back as MS65. NOW the coin is valued at $ 2,500.
Which TPG do you, as an honest collector, believe??? How do you react and which TPG do you believe?
I know this opens a big can of worms many time chewed over... BUT, what is your answer, and what is your reaction?
after all, you just paid considerable fees to get these "expert" grades.
Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Typically, the answer will come back "the higher one, of course." It just isn't that simple.

Since both graders only graded it once, the question is difficult to answer. Inspections are notoriously unreliable measurements. There will be variation in both assessments, that are a function of grader, knowledge of the series, TPG grading standards and probably the grader's state of health during the grading, and other factors. I'd feel better if each coin were graded about five times each with sufficient time elapsed between tries, but no TPG business could sustain that strategy.

I have a lot of data from crackout crossovers that demonstrate that, at least for the series I collect, that one major TPG is consistently approximately one point higher on average than the other. I believe the higher grading TPG to be the one that is in error, based on my own inspections of the coins submitted.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have cracked it out unless I thought the grade was wrong to start with.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't hate the TPG.....Hate the the Game

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    you send coin X to one TPG. it comes back as MS 64. Assume it is now valued at $ 1000, based on the TPG grading
    now, break the coin out and send it to the other TPG.
    SAME coin comes back as MS65. NOW the coin is valued at $ 2,500.
    Which TPG do you, as an honest collector, believe???

Since this has happened to me with at least 4 coins, I shrug my shoulder and cry for joy and sadness.

I bought StG's in the late 80's . All graded 64. Same TPC our host, 5 years ago grades 4 of them MS-65. Big price premium at the time for that one grade.

So what do you do with under graded coins. You wasted money getting the first slab, to get less for your coin because of someone else opinion.image