Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So how would you respond to this ebay question?

amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been on ebay since 1998. I have sold several thousand lots. Although I have already replied...just curious how any of you would reply. It is a world coin I have listed for 2-3 times Krause...and yes,they regularly go for that. I will post my reply to him if there is enough interest! image

Here is his question:

I know the value of this coin is not $124.99. So what is the real book value of this coin? I'm also a close friend of former FBI. Thank you very much.

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    No reply and report them to eBay.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Here is his question:

I know the value of this coin is not $124.99. So what is the real book value of this coin? I'm also a close friend of former FBI. Thank you very much. >>

Answer:

Your close friend that is a former FBI should know......ask himimage

• Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    I would respond: "I have listed the coin at a price that I believe reflects its current market value".
  • Options
    The real book value is 1249.99 This is one heck of a deal
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    Ignore, delete, etc.
  • Options
    I am enjoying the replies.

I usually do ignore these but I guess I was in the mood to reply to one of these this evening. Nothing confrontational mind you. image
  • Options
    I would report that person to Ebay. It almost sounds like the potential buyer is trying to bully you into lowering your price. Besides, when did the FBI get involved with sales transactions on Ebay? The more I think about it, the funnier it becomes! That is just ridiculous!
    Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

Please take some time to visit my site. I am always looking for new customers!
    http://www.jmnumismaticphotography.com/
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, since your friend will gladly help you find the true value and he's got connections for research,
    just give him a jingle. If you were my friend, and I was him, I would just tell you to go pound sand and
    tell you to do your own research. So, good luck with that.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No reply and block them.
  • Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Your name's not Whitey Bulger by chance, is it? I know he's close to the FBI."

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My reply would be "BWAHAHAHAHA"
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

I get similar questions (although the FBI slant is new). I would provide some recent auction records (at $129 it would be past ebay auctions). Sometimes I tell the person that I am a buyer at $100 with my asking price of $125, and then ask if they would like to sell any to me at that level.
  • Options

<< <i>I get similar questions (although the FBI slant is new). I would provide some recent auction records (at $129 it would be past ebay auctions). Sometimes I tell the person that I am a buyer at $100 with my asking price of $125, and then ask if they would like to sell any to me at that level. >>

Bingo! image
  • Options
    That former FBI friend of yours has me shaking in my boots, I think I"ll just turn myself in to the Former county sheriff, maybe I will go before the former judge.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Step 1. Block
    Step 2. Respond and say "Please do not report me as Al Qiada has threatened to hold my dog Skip hostage unless I help them launder this money."

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell him you were groped by a TSA agent and forget the other question.
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your friend, the FBI agent is Jim Xxxxxxx (last name confidential), then we have a mutual friend in the Bureau! Jim is an avid collector and customer of mine, so please ask him. And....give him my best regards!
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My reply would be "BWAHAHAHAHA" >>

And then put him on your blocked list immediately. The FBI thing has got absolutely nothing to do with anything if you are selling on ebey. I'd also consider reporting it to ebay, as others have suggested. Seems to me he's playing a game to put a 'scare' into you to lower your price, and give him a better deal, just due to the fact he SAYS his friend is FBI, which I highly doubt is true to begin with. That isn't something someone that actually DOES have a friend in the bureau, would say, and I'm sure his friend would be none to appreciative if he's using that as a tool to get better prices (wonder how many times he's used that line?).

Who gives a carp if his friend is FORMER FBI (that just means he is no longer associated with them, which means even less than if his friend was still active...which still means squat. I'd go even money that it isn't even true. Is that supposed to mean you automatically give it away to him at a price HE's comfortable with, because of his friends FORMER association with the bureau? I'd block him right away, regardless if you are losing a potential future regular customer, he's just use that line all the time if he thinks a coin is overpriced. Just forget this guy altogether. That FBI thing would 'grind my gears' if I got that message.....it's not even my item and MY gears ARE grinding just hearing it. Who the hell does he think he is? I'm sure he'll find out it is disadvantageous to act like a big shot. Does he think this will make a difference? Obviously does, so, put him in his place. In my opinion, as far as I'm concerned, his place is on the BLOCKED list. Just M2CW.

Oh, by the way, my grandfather was a detective with the Mass State police, my great-uncle was a sergeant with the Maine State trooper, my brother is in the Army....how much less are you willing to take? image
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Block them so they can't become a bigger problem.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No reply and block them. >>

+1

He/she is a nut case. Do you really want to engage this person?
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Let me tell ya, he's nuts!! NUTS!!! For lack of a better term or one I can use on this forum. Block time!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    What a question. I can think of several funny replies, but nothing I would really say if I were in your shoes. Just block him and forget about it. image
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    Reply with

"Please don't tell the FBI about this coin listing. I will change the price immediately."

Proceed to change price to

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Budding psychopaths need to be handled strongly and firmly.

Do not reply (ignore them, that drives them crazy as virtually any reply indicates they have power over you) and block them.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No response and block him ASAP. Then move on.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TireKickerTireKicker Posts: 870 ✭✭
    Block him and report him to ebay.

Nothing more annoying than a passive/aggressive IMHO. image
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options
    CoinflipCoinflip Posts: 842 ✭✭✭
    Hello sir , unfortunately we do not offer discounts for the FBI or other government officials . However as a courtesy we would be delighted if you would make us an offer as market value is really subjective
    SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him." - Proverbs 26:4

His "FBI" statement sounds like an implied (or actual) threat of who knows what? Block him and at least report his behavior to eBay.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    RonBRonB Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Budding psychopaths need to be handled strongly and firmly.

Do not reply (ignore them, that drives them crazy as virtually any reply indicates they have power over you) and block them. >>

This is the best and only answer..
    Collector of Classic US Coins
  • Options

<< <i>Ignore, delete, etc. >>

+
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Ignore, block.
  • Options
    Well...lots of entertaining and serious comments....thanks!

Here was my reply:

image LOL what does the FBI have to do with this? Book value is a joke on these coins as it is probably 1/2 of what I am asking. I will happily buy any original problem free examples you can sell me at 20% over book!
    Best Regards,xxxxxxx

My offer was a blanket offer for the type. The date and mint I have would be higher.

Seems he might be reading the forum! This was his reply:

I'm totally appreciated,Thank you very much! Oh, by the way, I didn't mean to scare you, too.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd simply say that I believe it is priced fairly.

And for added impact, I might add "and I have a close friend in the IRS"

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd simply say that I believe it is priced fairly.

And for added impact, I might add "and I have a close friend in the IRS" >>

Good One since the IRS trumps the FBI any day of the week! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    report him to the see-yi-yay!!!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I'll have to use that ploy with you when I'm
    looking to upgrade a few of my Barber Half Dollars... image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd simply say that I believe it is priced fairly.

And for added impact, I might add "and I have a close friend in the IRS" >>

Along the same lines as I was thinking for a reply, but better! The IRS would probably have the FBI shaking image
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amusing question but I'd simply block him rather than waste time replying. Starting a dialogue is pointless and people of his ilk are determined to have the last word so there's no future in it.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    I would block him and ignore the non buyer idiot.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ignore the question and block him. If he does not like the price he can go find one somewhere else.

Sometimes at shows I will have someone bash a price. I simply tell them very firmly: "go find one."
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file