Home U.S. Coin Forum

(Updated with pro pics) Finally nailed the color in the pic

Pic added in my last post

I have owned this coin for a few years and have photographed it many times. I decided to try again last night and finally got it right. Hard to have perfect focus with my setup (the reverse is terrible I know), but I am happy the color came out.

Comments

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, a bit out of focus but the luxury of digital photography is, you can shoot till you get it right.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Excellent job! The colors look very nice! I really like that shade of blue as well! What kind of equipment/setup are you using?
    Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

Please take some time to visit my site. I am always looking for new customers!
    http://www.jmnumismaticphotography.com/

• << <i>Excellent job! The colors look very nice! I really like that shade of blue as well! What kind of equipment/setup are you using? >>

It is a Nikon Coolpix, a terrible excuse for and copy stand ($40 on ebay) and 2 desk lamps with cfl bulbs. I keep telling myself I am going upgrade everything, but then I buy a coin.

Morgansforever you are correct. I will shoot it again. I used the 10 sec delay on the obverse, but got hasty and just pressed the button for the rev.
    Nikon Coolpix 510? If so it's a good camera, CMOS sensor with A,S,P,M modes. Are you using macro mode? Is the cam level? Is the slab level?

• << <i>

<< <i>Excellent job! The colors look very nice! I really like that shade of blue as well! What kind of equipment/setup are you using? >>

It is a Nikon Coolpix, a terrible excuse for and copy stand ($40 on ebay) and 2 desk lamps with cfl bulbs. I keep telling myself I am going upgrade everything, but then I buy a coin.

Morgansforever you are correct. I will shoot it again. I used the 10 sec delay on the obverse, but got hasty and just pressed the button for the rev. >>

We all have to start somewhere! I started out with a Samsung point and shoot and when I decided that I wanted to get into photography, I upgraded to the D3100. I bought a cheaper macro lens to start with but I am saving up for a Nikon macro lens that should help produce much sharper images. Your coin looks great though. You may try adding a third light and see what that does for you!

• Nikon P90. I does have m a s p modes although I do not know what they are. Slab level yes camera so so with the copy stand. Yes I use macro mode. I do try to keep the camera as far from the coin as possible to let the light in.

I have save some good threads ats. One by brgxxx Brandon. I have yet to put them to good use.
  • A third light is needed. I just need smaller light lol. I should take a pic of my set up. It would make for good fun.

I have seen your pics ats and they are very nice.

Many posters over there have great pics and are very helpful
    Ok P90, no CMOS sensor but still a decent P&S. A mode is where you chose the aperture cam selects the best SS. S mode you chose the shutter speed the cam selects the aperture. M mode is full manual, you choose the SS and aperture. P mode is programmable and you can save shooting settings. What is your ISO set at? Keep it low when there is an abundant amount of light. The P90 allows you to set it at 64, try it then bump it up to 100.
  • One of the best tools you can purchase, if you havent done so already, is Mark Goodman's book Numismatic Photography. It has a lot of helpful information. I keep a copy of his book under my copystand and find myself referring to it often. Morgansforever beat me to the next setof questions I wanted to ask!

If you haven't already done so, here's a great article, that will answer most if not all of your questions.

MGlink

• << <i>Ok P90, no CMOS sensor but still a decent P&S. A mode is where you chose the aperture cam selects the best SS. S mode you chose the shutter speed the cam selects the aperture. M mode is full manual, you choose the SS and aperture. P mode is programmable and you can save shooting settings. What is your ISO set at? Keep it low when there is an abundant amount of light. The P90 allows you to set it at 64, try it then bump it up to 100. >>

I have no idea what my iso is? I always turn it on and shoot. I do have the manual though and I will check it out.

Is the iso the same as setting the white balance? If so I have played with it but it always seems to work best if I let the camera do it on its own.

Jim
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    your images are nice but you need pro images.

that thing is a BEAST!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• << <i>.
    your images are nice but you need pro images.

that thing is a BEAST!
    . >>

Yes I agree I need pro images on several coins. It will make a good gift to myself.
    <<I have no idea what my iso is>>

ISO (International Organization for Standardization). Your cam allows manual ISO settings, WB I would just go auto for now. Look in the menu for ISO settings it's there.

EDIT: A lower ISO setting produces the least amount of noise when there's plenty of light. Also disable the VR when the cam is mounted to a copy stand, as there's no movement.
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting Copper right is hard enough as it is. Getting the tone right is a great accomplishment.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job and nice colorimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you did a nice job with that. nice coin image
  • I sent most of my coins to Bob Campbell to have them imaged.

I am so pleased with the shots he has sent me so far.

Bob takes ample time to get each picture spot on and then post your images to his website for you to download from. This really makes me feel like my modest collection is something special.

Bob is very easy and professional to work with.

The photos are as close as it gets to in hand viewing with just the right amount of color and luster.

Highly recommended. Here is one example

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file