Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does anyone know what causes this TPG to grade coins "Choice Proof?"

I came across this auction on Heritage.

The interesting thing is that all coins in this set are simply graded "Choice Proof." After going through a few pages on NGC's website, I came up empty as to the explanation of such a grade (except for verifying the certification). What causes this to be designated instead of the usual PF6x values?

If this isn't a form of body bagging, why would anyone pay good money for such a service if an Airtite will suffice?

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

Comments

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Often times a coin will receive such a grade if it came from a significant disaster area, such as shipwreck salvage, or the World Trade Center coins. Both of those examples can be found in PCGS plastic.

I do not know why these coins got this designation, but they appear to belong together, part of a proof set? Perhaps they were in a hoard?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the submitter wanted a minimum grade. These coins didn't make it and were holdered as shown.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe there is a lower tier submission where there is no number designation (i.e. less expensive).
    Why, I guess to get the whole set done cheaply - IMO this does NOT add to value in this case.

PS They were frequently doing this with the 5 oz hockey puck "quarter dollars".
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I guess to get the whole set done cheaply

But Airtites are cheaper - what's the point of doing this?
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I came across this auction on Heritage.

The interesting thing is that all coins in this set are simply graded "Choice Proof." After going through a few pages on NGC's website, I came up empty as to the explanation of such a grade (except for verifying the certification). What causes this to be designated instead of the usual PF6x values?

If this isn't a form of body bagging, why would anyone pay good money for such a service if an Airtite will suffice?

image >>

The only time I've seen this "grading type" it was submitted (requested) by the "Home Shopping Network" types. IMO, nothing but a marketing technique to garner the word "choice" on the insert which is easier to ooh and ahhhh, and froth over when selling these "hotcakes" as the next fortune-maker to a naive crowd. CHOICE is much easier understood than PF62/PF63, and easier to cobble together "matched" sets which are just "choice" vs. true matched set grades.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    The only time I've seen this "grading type" it was submitted (requested) by the "Home Shopping Network" types. IMO, nothing but a marketing technique to garner the word "choice" on the insert which is easier to ooh and ahhhh, and froth over when selling these "hotcakes" as the next fortune-maker to a naive crowd. CHOICE is much easier understood than PF62/PF63, and easier to cobble together "matched" sets which are just "choice" vs. true matched set grades.

Interesting - I never thought of that possibility.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I am surprised that it would benefit the integrity of the brand to generically label slabs.

I can see slabbing an authentic coin with problems, but to not assign a grade to an otherwise grade worthy coin seems foolish to me.

-Dan