Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is this genuine ?

I tend to think not, but I am no expert.

It's about an 1" in width and weighs 9.5 grams.

Obverse
Reverse

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    The links do not work for me. Can you try them again?
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Typical photobucket, dont know why folks here use them when there is sites like tinypic.com

Links arent working for me either.
  • Options
    levinlllevinll Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    Links should be working now.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Typical photobucket, dont know why folks here use them when there is sites like tinypic.com

Links arent working for me either. >>

Tinypic is owned by photobucket.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Weight looks right and the style, etc of the coin looks like a typical Trier product.

Why do you think there's an issue with this follis?

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    Not knowing much about ancients, the face looks like something I'd see on a hobo nickel as opposed to a 2,000 year old coin.

Any idea what time period/ruler is on this coin ?
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Not knowing much about ancients, the face looks like something I'd see on a hobo nickel as opposed to a 2,000 year old coin

Not sure I see what you're talking about. Pretty common portrait for the period and the mint (each Roman mint had its own personality so often you can recognize the mint from the portraits alone). The Trier mintmark is in exergue on the reverse.

Coin is of Maximian, co-ruler with Diocletian. Not near my reference at the moment, but struck in Trier in the late 290s AD.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    Thanks !