Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1986 Topps Traded Tiffany Sealed Set Break....

I threw in an offer on a sealed set of the 1986 Topps Traded Tiffany a few days ago and it was accepted.

The card I was really after was the Bo Jackson. I recently watched the 30/30 episode on him on Netflix and I decided I really would like to own his best rookie card.

I bought three examples in the past looking for a nice one and each had surface issues. This one did too. I am not sure if you can see it from the scan but this example has a line down each side of the card that runs down the middle of the white border. The lower left corner is touched as well.

Does anyone have experience submitting this card and know how much PSA lowers the grade for something like this?

The good news is the Barry Bonds is a blazer. The Will Clark was beautiful but has corner damage on the reverse of one of the corners and the Jose Canseco has a surface ding on it that is very noticeable.

Comments

• Options
    Hold on, these are baseball Dpeck. Are you ok?

That Bonds is great wow, I still need one of those. The Bo looks great to, I can't really notice in the scan what you are talking about.
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    I've got a Bo with the exact same issue. First glance its a gem. It came back an 8. I cracked it and it came back a 6. PSA does not dig the line at all.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hold on, these are baseball Dpeck. Are you ok?

That Bonds is great wow, I still need one of those. The Bo looks great to, I can't really notice in the scan what you are talking about. >>

LOL. I still have quite a few baseball cards but did sell off many of my best one's in the past few years and threw out 25,000+ plus commons.

I will still get the Bo graded but want to find a better one.

The Bonds is awesome!

• Options

<< <i>I've got a Bo with the exact same issue. First glance its a gem. It came back an 8. I cracked it and it came back a 6. PSA does not dig the line at all. >>

There are only 230 examples graded by PSA and I have to think the surface issue is one of the reasons more have not been sent in.

Thanks for the response.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    This one if my favorite baseball sets. They look awesome. Great cards
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Stellar Centering!

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I've got a Bo with that line too. Gem in every way but the line (you can feel it with your fingers), but it got an 8 the two times I submitted it.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Great Bonds!
  • Options
    Great looking cards. You just inspired me to open up my sealed set of 86 Topps Traded (regular issue) before writing this. The centering was brutal on a lot of them. The Jackson came out OC. The Bonds, Canseco, Clark - all garbage looking and none worth submitting on my end. Yours look awesome however. Is it possible that Topps took better care/notice when cutting and distributing them than the regular basic Topps cards?
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WOW! The BO in the REGULAR '86 Traded set is a $55.00 card in "10". More than I thought. Maybe I should open up the ones I have and see what they look like. Back in 86 or 87 I remember buying 100 raw Cancesco's and paying about the same as a PSA "9" now goes for! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That line you're talking about. I see it on some 90 Bowman and 90 Topps Tiffany's I have. It's not something that shows up on a scan but is noticeable at certain angles. And can certainly be felt. Topps have the occasional Tiffany Quality control issue through the years?
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    You're probably look at an 8 tops on the Bo. Still a great card. I have made a couple of bids on a few singles lately and lost.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    This is one card I still need in the set. It'll be a pursuit for another day...
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    Here are some scans of the cards now that it is dark enough to create a black background.

• Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    The last scan is cracked out again, I tinkered and got some of the line to show. BTW - My Bonds was also really nice, came back a 9 though.

[URL=http://s610.photobucket.com/user/jimduffett/media/May2401_zps264822f0.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://s610.photobucket.com/user/jimduffett/media/Jul2501_zps021497bc.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    That is definitely the same issue.
  • Options
    Here are a few more. More to come.

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I love that Bo Tiffany rookie! I know it's not his most rare card, but I feel like its the best card to own of his.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    those are nice looking.
  • Options
    I love Leyland's hat.

<< <i>Here are a few more. More to come.

image >>

• Options
    RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
  • Options
    I turned over the empty box and saw that these were made by Topps Ireland.

The 1992 WCW Topps wrestling set is made by them too and have the glossy surface as well.

Is this a different company then Topps or just a foreign division?

• Options
    1987 Fleer Glossy

I can't believe how cheap this stuff is. I had good luck with the 89 glossy and I am going to crack these open for fun.

• Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I like the Glossy and Tiffany's too but some years are cheap because the demand is very low.
    I believe there were 100,000 sets of the '87 Fleer Glossy produced. The regular '87 Fleer production
    run might total into 5,000,000 of each card made. It was heavily over produced along with every other
    Baseball card issued in 1987.

If you check out the pop report for say # 604 Barry Bonds, there's many more regular Bonds 9's and 10's graded
    than the Glossy version, however if you compare the production runs of the regular and glossy, the Glossies are much
    easier to get 9's and 10's on. I think there tends to be more back edge chipping on the regular version than the glossy
    version.

I really like those '86 Topps Glossy sets.
    That Bo Jackson Topps Glossy rookie is his best card to own imho.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    David, just a division.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    It is clear why the 1987 Fleer sets have dropped significantly in price but the risk reward seems pretty good at $31 for both sets.

With the recent surge in Bo Jackson cards I see a PSA 10 has recently sold for $60. It looks like the Barry Bonds card is selling in the $75 to $95 range and the Barry Larkin has two recent sales averaging $124. In traded the set you have a shot at a Greg Maddox PSA 10 as well and his card has been in the $40 to $55 range.

I think the 1987 Fleer set is one of the best looking sets from the 1980's and it will be fun to see if I get any hits.

• Options
    The Barry Bonds PSA 10's have been selling as fast as they hit EBAY in the $380+ range. Finally one was listed as an auction and it has blown past those numbers with time to go.

PSA 10

I was also watching a recent auction for a raw example of the Bo Jackson and as expected it has broken out to the upside like many Bo Jackson cards and finsihed at $67.23.

Bo Jackson
  • Options

<< <i>It is clear why the 1987 Fleer sets have dropped significantly in price but the risk reward seems pretty good at $31 for both sets.

With the recent surge in Bo Jackson cards I see a PSA 10 has recently sold for $60. It looks like the Barry Bonds card is selling in the $75 to $95 range and the Barry Larkin has two recent sales averaging $124. In traded the set you have a shot at a Greg Maddox PSA 10 as well and his card has been in the $40 to $55 range.

I think the 1987 Fleer set is one of the best looking sets from the 1980's and it will be fun to see if I get any hits. >>

I opened both sets and struck out. Centering was an issue and the Bo Jackson had some printing issues on the front that will keep it out of a PSA 10 holder.

• Options
    PSA 9 Bo Jackson

Wow this puppy is on the run. Over $200 with time to go.

• Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    I thought selling my PSA 9 for $80 or $90 was high. Guess these are harder to find now!
  • Options
    Those pirates hats were simply fantastic...
  • Options
    Bo PSA 10

Strong action in this card.

My Bo graded a PSA 6 with the surface issue.

These used to pop up on EBAY for $249 and I could never get myself to pull the trigger.

Obviously times have changed.