Home Precious Metals
Options

Safest option

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
If I wanted to buy a certain mint year of 1oz of Platinum, where other than the US mint would be the safest and best option?

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer ebay with buyer protection when I can get a good price. Otherwise any reputable on-line bullion/coin dealer. Try moderncoinmart.com, gainsvillecoins.com or apmex.com. Best price should be your trigger.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Go to a coin store. Buy the coin and put it in your pocket...safest option.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finding a specific platinum coin isn't getting any easier these days, but I would consider Modern Coin Mart, Silvertowne, or Apmex if they happened to have the one you're looking for in stock. Or Ebay from a seller with good feedback. Not many dealers stock Plats.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If I wanted to buy a certain mint year of 1oz of Platinum, where other than the US mint would be the safest and best option? >>

Unless you want the current year, I don't think the U. S. Mint is an option.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Unless you want the current year, I don't think the U. S. Mint is an option. >>

Now, I'm no expert but I do know for a fact my pappy had some US Mint platinum ... proof sets? from the 1990's I believe.

Here's a quote from that SilverTowne: "In 1997, the US Mint added Platinum Eagles to complement its Gold Eagle and Silver Eagle offerings." image

<< <i> where other than the US mint >>

Did you mean what other countries? Because Russia has some nice platinum issues
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    US Mint issued bullion American Eagles (excluding proofs and special collector issues such as the unc. W mintmark that the mint sells directly to the public) are sold by the mint to only a limited number (about a dozen) of authorized purchasers. From there they are sold into the marketplace. This also applies to the five ounce silver ATB series. Check the US mint website for a listing of the bullion that they do sell directly to the public.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the Royal Canadian Mint produce them ? And are they safe ? Are they very limited in their production ? Are they high ?

Say "eh"
    Going fast... THIS is a certain year !
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Unless you want the current year, I don't think the U. S. Mint is an option. >>

Now, I'm no expert but I do know for a fact my pappy had some US Mint platinum ... proof sets? from the 1990's I believe.

Here's a quote from that SilverTowne: "In 1997, the US Mint added Platinum Eagles to complement its Gold Eagle and Silver Eagle offerings." image >>

The OP wanted to know where to buy a coin from a certain mint year. The US mint only sells it's current production. If you want a US Mint produced coin from several years ago you will have to buy them on the secondary market.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.