Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

ok, my name is Hyperion and I'm a sucker

I love silver.
I love crown sized coinage.
Big, chunky blobs of Silver.
Something with heft.

I love the St. George vs. the Dragon design.

That's why I just overpaid at the Brit mint for this:

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/St_George_and_the_dragon_5_pound_Silver_Proof_Coin

Birth year, schmirth year. It's a BIG SILVER COIN with my favorite design on it.

120 US dollars image .. but St. George has never been this big on a piece of silver (I think...)

ok, next in line. confessions please.

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicely executed bit there! Old Head Vicks are OK in the crown denomination but currencies not fully struck up. Proof '93s can be nice as well but certainly a lot more than 80 quid.

Like it!!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver is always good. image

Maybe soon you can post a picture of the real coin instead of the mint's digital mockup.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Yeah can't wait to see a real image!
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, Hyperion, I'm also a sucker. I also purchased one, and I noticed today they are now officially sold-out (mintage of 10,000). They don't ship until August 23rd. Ugh...Patience is not my strong suit. image

I'm such a sucker for the Pistrucci St. George and the Dragon design. This design hasn't been on a crown-size coin since the 1951 "Festival of Britain" George VI (nickel-clad) coin. I hope it looks as awesome in hand as it looks on the Royal Mint website.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    I guess you could argue collectors on a certain level are suckers image

we're all in it together image
  • Options
    Just for a little teaser...

This is the last coin of "Crown size" that featured this design. Even though it's not silver, it's still an absolutely stunning coin. The Pistrucci design scales well from tiny fractional sovereigns to very large size coins! Can't wait to see the new coin in hand!

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Liquid Infinity...................always partial to dragon killin' myself. image

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a beautiful design. If it makes you a sucker to appreciate it, then I'm a sucker myself.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good in gold, too.

Of course even gold doesn't hold a candle to the blue proof monster that Mac just posted.

I wish I still had the 1893 proof half-sovereign I owned six or seven years back.

This ex-Terner MS64 is the only half-sov here now. It's in my daughter's 1901 collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one gorgeous design!! I love it very nice indeed!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

<< <i>Just for a little teaser...

This is the last coin of "Crown size" that featured this design. Even though it's not silver, it's still an absolutely stunning coin. The Pistrucci design scales well from tiny fractional sovereigns to very large size coins! Can't wait to see the new coin in hand!

image >>

Brilliant! and the UNC version is a very affordable example in general, though they never look as nice!

• Options
    I was really going to cancel my order because I Felt like a fool for ordering it, but now, after seeing all these?

cash is only temporary pain, silver is forever!
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Just remember, when buying "big chunky blobs of silver" that British "Five Pounds" ≠ 5 lbs image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    hold on a second... this ISN'T 5 POUNDS OF SILVER?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Credit Card Charged!!!! image
  • Options
    FINALLY...I got mine. Good grief, they are majorly slow on shipping. On another forum, someone in the UK had received theirs 3+ weeks ago. Mine shipped last week, and arrived yesterday. It's truly a stunning rendition of the Pistrucci design. I'm very happy I decided to get one.
    -Brandon

• Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    I like the UK silver, too. This one is kind of cool:

I scored the one below last year. It is not 5 pounds, but it is 5 ounces. image
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Always had a soft spot for the massive gold 5 Sovereign coins (not quite as big as the 5 Pound Silver Crown). St George slaying the dragon (Pistrucci at his best). I just couldn't refuse this set...

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    OMG!! amazing GOLD! love the design! you have to MOVE that red sticker image

I regret not getting one in 2007 before the gold run up image
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a chunky blob alright....
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great thread-thanks for posting the images.

I really like the 1951 and 1935 crowns... and the moderns too

edited to add- I suppose there all classified as moderns in the UK- even Victoria

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you're a sucker. I would have bought one too if they were available.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think you're a sucker. I would have bought one too if they were available. >>

If there's one thing that I've learned in numismatics all these years, is that practically everything becomes available sooner or later. Most are readily available, and others need patience and a certain liquidity at any given moment.

Gorgeous crowns and an absolutely mind blowing gold proof set trozau. That 1901 half sov. looks familiar. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Yep. It's November. And this finally got to me!!!!

I think something weird happened because the box was pinched open on the sides (obviously paw'd through) and the capsule was scraped... I was annoyed but I opened the capsule and the coin was PERFECT (as far as it can be).

I guess they knew this this was going to the Colonies it didn't have to be perfect... image

Love it! (quick cell phone macro shot, since lord knows when my camera stand will live again)

• Options
    This is not the Prince George birth silver crown, right? Is it the 27mm George and the Dragon 2013 UK £20 Fine Silver Coin?
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    it's the "The Royal Birth 2013 UK £5 Silver Proof Coin" :S
    uhoh, what'd I do?
  • Options

<< <i>This is not the Prince George birth silver crown, right? Is it the 27mm George and the Dragon 2013 UK £20 Fine Silver Coin? >>

that unc would make a very nice pocket piece without breaking the bank!
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Scratching my head. Perhaps trozau was confused by the seemingly large size? Pretty great macro shot for a phone!

Looks like George is smiling image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    I'm ordering a couple UNC right now

and one will go in my pocket!
  • Options

<< <i>This is not the Prince George birth silver crown, right? Is it the 27mm George and the Dragon 2013 UK £20 Fine Silver Coin? >>

The £20 pieces are not proofs.
    -Brandon

• Options
    My bad! Yep, I just noticed that the 27mm £20 for £20 silver coins are BU. and the pictured is the £5 birth silver crown. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I ever noticed Pistrucci's, uhm, interesting placement of St. George's left foot until I saw Hype's new frosted piece. Kinda did a double-take there image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame