Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

England (Anglo-Saxon): silver penny of Aethelred II, struck ca. 997-1003 AD

England (Anglo-Saxon): silver penny of Aethelred II, struck ca. 997-1003 AD

Obverse: bust of Aethered II facing left.

Reverse: Long cross.

Canterbury Mint, issued 997-1003 AD. Spink-1151. PCGS MS63, cert #29851544. Formerly in ICG AU55 holder, #5358340110. Ex-Michael Swoveland of WNC Coins, in a private North Carolina swap, 7/20/2013.

By the late 12th century, 150 years or so after his death, Aethelred II of England was referred to as "Aethelred The Unready" for his supposed weakness in response to the invasions of the Danish Vikings. Despite this poor dead king's bad rap, I have always loved this coin.

Because it is a Mint State survivor, I have little doubt that this coin came from a buried hoard, though unfortunately the specific provenance did not follow it into the numismatic marketplace. Being possessed of a rather romantic historical imagination, I like to dream that it was found in a Viking-era ship burial. While that's within the realm of possibility, we'll never know for sure. Aethelred the Unready paid a lot of coined silver to the Vikings as Danegeld, and thousands of these coins ended up in tombs and other buried hoards in England and Scandinavia.

My friend Michael Swoveland first showed the coin to me in the late summer of 1994. At the time, both he and I were avidly collecting English coins, which is how we struck up our friendship. We were younger and on much smaller budgets at the time (I still am), so a coin of this caliber was a major coup for him. I was properly green with envy. After we transitioned to the Internet in the late 1990s, Michael adopted the handle "Aethelred" on Collectors Universe, and "aethelred.ii" on eBay, which goes to show how much this was his "signature" coin.

I visited him in July of 2013 and we sat down to a coin swap, just like old times. I had a few nice Roman coins he wanted, and to my astonishment, he offered this coin to me as part of the complex deal. Acquiring it took away every trace of "swappers remorse" I might have had in parting with some of my better Romans. In 2014, I cracked it out of the old ICG AU55 holder and submitted it to PCGS. I was delighted to get an MS63 grade in addition to a much more accurate TrueView image. Michael and I had always considered this to be a Mint State coin. Since it took me nineteen years to acquire, this coin is special to me, and it's likely to remain a part of my collection for quite some time.

Miscellaneous links:

PCGS cert verification page (w/TrueView image link)

Earlier thread about this coin (Collectors Universe)

Wikipedia links:

Æthelred the Unready

History of the English penny (from ca. 600-1066 AD)

Danegeld

When posted here, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Aethelred penny in the other thread better.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Cheap modern junk!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the Aethelred penny in the other thread better. >>

It might be a good time to retell the Bingo Greentoe saga. image