Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ancient Rome (Imperial): silver denarius of Julia Mamaea (d. 235 AD)

Ancient Rome (Imperial): silver denarius of Julia Mamaea (d. 235 AD).

Obverse- IVLIA MAMAEA AVG, diademed & draped bust right.
Reverse- VESTA, Vesta standing half-left, holding palladium and scepter.

NGC AU (Strike 5/5, Surface 2/5, "granularity"). RIC 360, RSC 81, 19mm, 3.26 g. Ex- Mathew Baca ("bronzemat"), through a swap on the Collectors Universe forums, 2/27/2012.

Julia Mamaea* was a powerful woman of the Severan Dynasty. She was from from Emesa, in what is presently war-torn Homs, Syria. This coin looks a lot sharper and slightly more lustrous in hand. I initially had a casual "take it or leave it" attitude when we were haggling out the swap. I liked the coin but didn't feel like I absolutely had to have it. It was almost an afterthought. When I got it in hand, though, I was quite happy with the deal.

NGC cert verification page

As of the last edit, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    And I thought cornrows were a new thing!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    for those wondering why there's a coin of this random lady, she was the mother of Emperor Alexander Severus
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>for those wondering why there's a coin of this random lady, she was the mother of Emperor Alexander Severus >>

Or Severus Alexander. Funny how we moderns can't seem to agree on the order of his name. Is that a British/American divide, or what?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always seen it Severus Alexander.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>I've always seen it Severus Alexander. >>

Me too.

But a lot of Brits have it the other way 'round.

Figures. Silly Brits.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you expect from a group of people who put an extra u in color.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>What do you expect from a group of people who put an extra u in color. >>

I can live with colour, but one more word about this royal, prince, baby, might push me over the edge!

My phone sends me "Breaking News" updates from CNN. I have been getting things like it's weight, it's meeting with the Queen, and about three updates on it's name.

Does it make me a bad person that I just don't care?
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    It's arranged both ways on the wikipedia entry lol image

• Options
    I am not sure I want to wade into the emotionally charged Severus Alexander vs. Alexander Severus debate because the only possible outcome would be that half of the forum will end up hating me, but here goes....

I have seen it both ways, but I use Severus Alexander myself.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    His father was Septimus Severus, correct? Was Severus more of a title or surname?
  • Options

<< <i>His father was Septimus Severus, correct? Was Severus more of a title or surname? >>

Speaking of variances in the names, I've seen him called both "Septimus Severus" and "Septimius Severus". Go figure.

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>His father was Septimus Severus, correct? Was Severus more of a title or surname? >>

Speaking of variances in the names, I've seen him called both "Septimus Severus" and "Septimius Severus". Go figure. >>

You are no help LordM!
  • Options
    laughing at my commentary from last year
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say Alexander Severus but remember, I'm not patrician. image

• Options
    It says "IMP SEV ALEXAND" right there on that freakin' coin, fer cryin' out loud!

"Severus Alexander" it is. Ha.