Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ancient Greece: Cilicia, Tarsus, Civic Coinage, bronze AE21, ca. 2nd-1st centuries BC

Ancient Greece: Cilicia, Tarsus, Civic Coinage, bronze AE21, ca. 2nd-1st centuries BC

NGC Fine (Strike 5/5, Surface 2/5). Ex Imperator Coins & Antiquities, 1/28/2013.

The seller was more specific with the date, placing it circa 164 BC. This was an extremely inexpensive piece, costing me a mere $12.60 before I put it in a plastic slab which cost nearly three times as much as the coin! It is presently serving as a "filler" piece until I get some of my other purchases slabbed. Despite being relatively low grade, it does have some nice desert patina, and I've always liked those Tyche* portraits with the turreted crown. Maybe one day I'll have a bit higher grade Tyche in silver.

Original seller page
NGC cert verification page

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, even for a "filler" grade. Let me know if this piece ever gets upgraded.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice, even for a "filler" grade. Let me know if this piece ever gets upgraded. >>

I will. It will likely be the first to drop out of the Box of 20 when I get some of my other stuff slabbed (soon, I hope). Which isn't to suggest there's anything wrong with it, of course. I like it just fine. But it's a cheapo, naturally. Cheap but fun.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.