Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ancient Greece: Mysia, Adramyteum, bronze AE12, ca. 4th century BC

Ancient Greece: Mysia, Adramyteum, bronze AE12, ca. 4th century BC

NGC Choice VF (Strke 4/5, Surface 3/5). Ex-Andreas Reich ("areich"), Germany, through a trade on the FORVM Ancient Coins board, 7/17/2012.

Mount Olympus is in the region once known as Mysia*, so it is not surprising that the obverse of this coin features Zeus, and the reverse an eagle, which was his symbol. This is another small coin (see the slab pictures on the cert verification page for scale), but its small size and bronze composition make it much, much more affordable than the larger silver coins of the era. I acquired this cute little piece for a mere 16 dollars in trade, so the plastic slab it is in actually cost me twice as much as the coin itself! I like it for the well-rendered Zeus portrait, of course.

NGC cert verification page (with slab images)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    look at all of the cool stuff you are posting today

=Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I hope it isn't becoming too tedious. You see, I am editing my "Box of 20" collection and thought it would be nice to be able to link to a thread about each coin. My Romans have their own threads but most of this Greek stuff never got posted, except in lots. So I am doing some catchup and reorganizing.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, I hope it isn't becoming too tedious. >>

Not at all! I love the portrait of Zeus and I have not seen many portraits of him in this perspective. Very cool!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I want to steal your trading partner that is giving you all of these sweet ancients for $16.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I want to steal your trading partner that is giving you all of these sweet ancients for $16. >>

This particular one came from Andreas Reich in Germany. He is "areich" on the FORVM Ancient Coins boards. But I've gotten a lot of bronze bargains from David Connor's store over on VCoins. And Steve McBride of Incitatus Coins (VCoins mall, ditto). And then there is bargainbinancients.com. If you don't mind small size and bronze composition, there are a TON of bargains out there. So much of this stuff is currently underappreciated, which is a good thing for the bargain-minded collector.

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    ..aaaaannnd stealing now.