Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ancient Greece: Kingdom of Macedon, bronze unit of Phillip II, ca. 359-336 BC

Ancient Greece: Kingdom of Macedon, bronze unit of Phillip II, ca. 359-336 BC.

NGC VG (Strike 5/5, Surface: 2/5). Acquired raw as part of a trade with Jason Colinger ('erwindoc"), Collectors Universe forums, 8/29/2012.

This is a lower grade piece and the present photos I'm using are poorly focused, but it has a neat design featuring Apollo and a horse on the reverse. The Macedonians did love their horses. Plus, it has all that history behind it. Phillip II* was of course the father of Alexander the Great*, and in the late 1970s AD, they found a royal tomb at Vergina* which is believed to be his.

NGC cert verification page

When posted here, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a brother piece of yours, a tetradrachm with an obverse of Zeus and a similar reverse. The Macedonians certainly have some exciting history and sure knew how to mint their coins!

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooooh, I like yours MUCH better! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    wow, what does it say on the back of that beauty? and I assume the N is a mintmark...?
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>wow, what does it say on the back of that beauty? and I assume the N is a mintmark...? >>

The Greek text is: ΦIΛIΠ-ΠOY. I believe the left side translates to "Philip" and the right denotes the Pella mint, however, I'm not certain as it is all Greek to me image
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection