Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1968-S Proof Jefferson Nickel-----RPM FS-5c-038.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
I wanted to see what Variety collectors or Proof Jefferson Nickel collectors had to say about this coin since there is scant information that I have found; it isn't listed in my 2nd Edition Jefferson Nickel Analyst or in Breen's Encyclopedia but the 4th Edition CPG has it. I have only seen a picture of one coin and apparently there is only one coin listed in the Set Registry where I'd expect some to be. I haven't talked to anyone who owns a coin and have never seen anything posted here about the Variety, so naturally I have a few questions which maybe some members can shed some light on.

1. Fivaz/Stanton list it as URS-6 in Cherrypicker's, 17-32 known. Is it really that rare??
2. If you look at lots of 1968 Proof Sets and/or 1968-S Proof Nickels you'll notice that the mm on the Nickel is a very distinct style and that they all look pretty much the same, but the RPM mintmark looks different. Is that a result of the re-punching of the mintmark or something else??
3. Was a single repunched die used to make all the RPM's or were multiple dies used??
4. When was the Variety discovered??
5. Do you own one, know someone who owns one or have you ever seen one??

Thanks in advance.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been aggressively collecting proof cherry pickers varieties for about 15 years now.

Never found nor seen a 68s with the rpm.

So I can't help much other than the bump to the top.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    well, if nothing else that lends some credence to the rarity claim by F/S. a quick check of Registry Sets now shows two coins.

my hunch is that it was one die either mistakenly put into production or an error discovered during QA. both examples mentioned above are non-cameo designated which would tend to mean that 50+ coins were struck so they should be out there waiting to be found, and I don't think many collectors are aware of the Variety.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i just looked at a pic of one and it is strong enough that seekers probably wouldn't miss it further adding possible rarity but i will say that modern proof coins can be a bear to pick because of the reflective fields so i imagine that would deter some people, it does me sometimes.

for the comment about various mms, if i had one to image, i could blow that sucker up and we could have a interesting debate about it image

as it stands, the cf images imo, are too small, yes, too small lol - i prefer my mms debates be from images where the mm is at least a few inches in height on a screen

from the cf image, i don't see anything that jumps out as there being 2 mms but that is my unofficial comment

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    any other opinions/pictures/information about this Variety out there??
  • Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    keets, I missed seeing this post earlier. I too have been searching for this one ever since the Cherry Pickers hit the shelves. I have no additional information on it. Looks like there are 3 of them now. PR67, PR67+ and PR68. Whoever made the PR68 sent me a message initially asking like $5,000 for it. Uhhhh, tough decision, not! I'm sure he hit all the Proof Set collectors. Couple months later I get another email saying he's slashed his price over half and is now asking $2,500. Uhhhhh, tough decision again, not! My thought is similar to thoughts above, if there are 3, there has to be a significant additional number. I would have to think more than 50, I would have to place the number in the 1,000+. I'll keep looking, but will wait until I Cherry one!

Keep the hunt on!
  • Options
    aj2525raj2525r Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Hello,

Mine must be the normal version.

My sample of one isn't helpful but it did get me to look up the picture in the Cherrypicker's Guide.

Cheers
    I still call my accumulation my collection!
  • Options
    Keep the hunt on!

the pictures of the two coins that I have seen show a faint Cameo appearance. since there are some very, very nice Deep Cameo coins from 1968, that year not being remotely scarce even for 69DC coins, logic dictates that there should be Deep Cameo examples still extant either in original packaging or already graded coins. my thought is that the Variety is less known than most others and perhaps subtle enough that the frost may make it difficult to notice without a close inspection, say 10x resolution or greater. I look at whatever coins I can online which allow me to see a very magnified view.

like you, that price tag would be easy for me to pass on. it does make me think, though, about the potential value of even a PR66DCAM example. that is what I hope to find. so let it be written, so let it be done!!image
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok, here we go. 7" vertically on the 21" monitor and 10" on the 32" - gotta love the resolution differences.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Image courtesy of Coin Facts

Should be pretty easy to spot, even with a small amount of magnification. I vaguely was aware of this variety but never actively sought them out, perhaps I should have paid more attention to detail. Problem is, you already know it's going to be a "S" mint mark, so why even study the mark?

Only three coins graded as RPM...interesting. There are hidden treasures out there waiting to be found.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    GREAT PICS!

Now let's get out there and find us some!
  • Options
    I received a PM from a member who owns one of the PCGS graded coins, I hope to be able to link/post a picture. his message caused me to think about the 1968 Proof Set......................

consider that this is one of the cheapest proof Sets out there in original packaging, I haven't been actively buying for am few years but I'm sure they are still under $10. since I'm an Exonumia collector I always notice anomalies and there are at least two different boxes that this Set comes in. the fun, though, really starts once you open that box. if I miss anything, feel free to add to the list.

1. nice Deep Cameo coins to start, the Nickel and Half-Dollar have always been the best I have found.
    2. the Half-Dollar has an "inverted MM" Variety that is sort of rare.
    2. the Nickel has this rare RPM.
    3. the Dime can be found sans MM!!
  • Options
    Interesting!
  • Options
    here are pictures from the #1 Registry Set, courtesy of Frank Corso.

• Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    There are now a few more in PCGS holders.

PR66 1
    PR67 7
    PR68 1

PR67+CAM 1

• Options
    so in about 14 months seven coins have been graded by PCGS(assuming all are unique coin submissions) which means the coins are out there and collectors are looking for them. this bodes well for us Jeffer-nistas. I search on, my most recent find at the shop has been not one but two 1983 no-S Dime Proof Sets that were in a small group.
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>so in about 14 months seven coins have been graded by PCGS(assuming all are unique coin submissions) which means the coins are out there and collectors are looking for them. this bodes well for us Jeffer-nistas. I search on, my most recent find at the shop has been not one but two 1983 no-S Dime Proof Sets that were in a small group. >>

image I wouldn't mind a find like that! image
  • Options
    as unbelieveable as it might seem we actually had a collector sell us another set at a show today, he said he's had it for a long time. I think it's amazing that we have handled three sets in a week.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file