Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Treaty of Westphalia

harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm pretty sure this is what this medal commemorates. Actually, I was fascinated by the interaction of horse and ibex. I am pretty sure that one of you people posted a medal with a similar reverse. Does anyone remember?

imageimage

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice piece, and yes interesting reverse....

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Nice medal! It seems that most of the references I have don't try to explain the event behind the medal. Only the Spink catalog of the Clifford collection has anything to say, attributing the piece as a commemoration of Vidman's elevation to Cardinal at the end of 1647. I like your interpretation better, based on the 1648 date present on the reverse and the inscription.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a bit more research, and apparently what I thought was an ibex actually is a horse. One horn actually is a mane. The other horn actually is a banner. As for the 1648 date, I now think that it may be a bit of personal propaganda. The Latin appears to mean, "He hates, yet, the ease of the victor." Vidman may have purchased his position, but was promising to work hard.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    That makes sense. Interestingly, one catalog also misidentifies the animals on the reverse, calling them two chamois.