Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1894 A German New Guinea Proof or Uncirculated? Photos added.

I still need to take photos of the coin, but I was wondering what the diagnostics are for the differences? The devices seem to be frosty, but is there a way to determine based on the rims? -Dan

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Here is the coin in question.

imageimage
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow,sure looks proof from the pictures. Yours?
    Looks like a cpl of minor edge dings. Fairly squared edges it appears though...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Yes, it is mine. It really looks nice in hand. I can see some die cracks on the edges so I was thinking that it was MS and not proof.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ormandh,
    Super coin..
    The DNG ( Deutsch NeuGuinea) are probably some of the most attractive and beautiful coins. Yours ranks very high on the scale.
    However,I am a bit at a loss here.
    the DNG coin, 10 Pfennig, is is normally copper, weighs 10 grams and there are approximately 24,000 somewhere around. a coin in your grade, IMO, should be MS66 or get the Proof 65 or 66 designation, perhaps even 67.
    if it gets MS65 it should be worth $ 1600 and a multiple in higher designation and grades. Did you take your own images? , Perhaps wrong white balance setting?
    I have had a few DNG series right up to MS66 and proof some time ago. Traded all of them (74 pieces) for high grade Canadian Victoria coins mostly to a German Collector and sold some to a Swiss Dealer.
    About 8-9 years ago, I had the notion and desire to purchase every DNG coin in better grade. .... until I bought a 5 mark piece made in China at an auction in the US. It was "perfect" in every aspect. A German Expert identified it as a fake and proofed it.
    He indicated it was the best fake he had ever seen of the series. Lucky for me, the auction company realized the problem and reimbursed me
    H

PS: if you wish to sell the coin, I might know a buyer for it.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    The picture is actually axial lighted to show the devices. I have regular photos I will post today.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is the coin in question.

imageimage >>

Well done on the image! I've actually never viewed these DNG coins in the flesh, so no help as to unc. or proof.

Be sure to let us know if you send to PCGS for a grade; this one looks nice enough that they would pull it for Trueview images just to fill their CoinFacts image library of this type. image
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    FWIW, here's some PCGS images from their library. Judging from the "fabric" of their two images compared to yours, ormandh, yours is a proof.

MS65RB

PF65RB

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Mac. It looks like a nice proof to me. The rims have square edges and the feathers and leaves have strong depth.

Nice pick up.image
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Judging from the "fabric" of their two images compared to yours, ormandh, yours is a proof. >>

I agree. The beads surrounding the bird of paradise are much more distinct and uniform in size on the proof.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    Thanks, guys! I will have to set my camera up tonight and take some different pics.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are real "wow" coins, all of them.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.