Home Sports Talk
Options

First Victor Cruz, now Brandon Phillips

CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
Apparently these two athletes feel their contracts they recently signed aren't enough money. Phillips says his contract is a slap in the face. Cruz says he took less money than he deserved.

These poor guys will only have millions in the bank for their hard work. We should see if the board can start a fundraiser to ease their pain.

Comments

• Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Sure thing. I just got 8 cents in change at the store today that they are welcome to. But I get to throw the coins at them myself......
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    Let's not rush to judgement and throw them under the bus - afterall, they have to feed their families.

As told by Latrell Spreewell.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>Apparently these two athletes feel their contracts they recently signed aren't enough money. Phillips says his contract is a slap in the face. Cruz says he took less money than he deserved.

These poor guys will only have millions in the bank for their hard work. We should see if the board can start a fundraiser to ease their pain. >>

You're confusing the issue. They aren't claiming 'poor', but they are claiming that they are underpaid, and, looking at it objectively, they both have a case. Now I get it, it's hard to be objective, they're getting paid tens of millions of dollars, but NFL contracts are notoriously one-sided in favor of the owners, and these NFL players are one play away from not only not being able to play again, but walk/live a normal life again.

• Options
    They signed a contract and they regret it. Now get yr butts out there and play!! Yawn........
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>They signed a contract and they regret it. Now get yr butts out there and play!! Yawn........ >>

Exactly. Complaining about it after the fact, and after they've got some of that phat cash in their pocket is in poor taste.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I can relate to their dire circumstances, I am getting in several cases five bucks less an hour than co-workers at my part time job....yet I am doing more than several of them are doing....I think I need to go on some sort of hunger strike.

Wait a minute, I am already hungry...should try something else.

al.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>They signed a contract and they regret it. Now get yr butts out there and play!! Yawn........ >>

Exactly. Complaining about it after the fact, and after they've got some of that phat cash in their pocket is in poor taste. >>

I wish the owners would exhibit the same behavior, especially in the NFL, where a 'contract' is a one-way street.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is your response when an owner cuts a player with years left on his contract?
  • Options
    My response would be to make sure that money is guaranteed before you sign. Many deals in Football and Basketball and such allow owners to bow out for certain reasons, while some contracts have "guaranteed" money. If you got cut, chances are you are underperforming and/or injury prone and the owner saw that coming, thus he left himself an out. All part of THE DEAL. The phrase "Don't hate the player, hate the game" works both ways.....
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

What is your response when an owner cuts a player with years left on his contract? >>

The player's lawyer did a bad job educating his/her client that said contract allowed the owner to do so.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

What is your response when an owner cuts a player with years left on his contract? >>

The Players Union agreed to the current rules through collective bargaining. People got together and decided that the many benefits of the deal outweighed the many negatives (like non-guaranteed contracts) and signed the agreement. Then, Victor Cruz was presented a contract and signed it. Seems like he has no one to blame but himself and the union he is a member of.