Home Sports Talk
Options

Preseason College Football favorites

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
Toughts?

Especially with the dark horses- at the moment- not seeing much for the unexpected. I hope to be wrong

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I think the SEC is going to be really good! image

Seriously though I am excited. Pac 12 should be decent this year with several top 10 caliber programs.
  • Options
    Never too early to discuss college football!

I'm going out on a limb and I'm predicting the first three peat in the BCS era.

A J will get his third ring then go back to his dorm room to celebrate by banging his smoking hot girlfriend.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    Prediction #2: Johnny Football takes a step backwards, skips out early for the NFL, then drops to the fifth round of the draft due to his draft combine interviews.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>Prediction #2: Johnny Football takes a step backwards, skips out early for the NFL, then drops to the fifth round of the draft due to his draft combine interviews. >>

The big sports media is doing all they can to trash Johnny Football and frankly its disgusting. Mark May coming out and saying he's bad for college football despite having an arrest and 2 DUIs as an athlete is just the tip of the hypocritical iceberg.

GMs and coaches only care about one thing - can you play football. The importance of draft interviews are so overblown by a 24/7 media cycle it's not even funny.

As far as preseason polls go, they shouldn't release a poll until after week 6, period. Stop giving teams an early leg up by slotting them into high positions, make EVERY team earn it, as most years every team is wildly different from the previous year. The fact that the SEC gets to coast by with predetermined high rankings is an outrage (and before you start - enough with the 'every week is a war!' nonsense about SEC football).
  • Options

<< <i>

As far as preseason polls go, they shouldn't release a poll until after week 6, period. Stop giving teams an early leg up by slotting them into high positions, make EVERY team earn it, as most years every team is wildly different from the previous year. >>

I agree.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Prediction #2: Johnny Football takes a step backwards, skips out early for the NFL, then drops to the fifth round of the draft due to his draft combine interviews. >>

It probably doesn't help that Manziel should have been suspended last year but was only put on probation due to the fact they didn't have someone to replace him at QB.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Dawgs better make it past Bama in the SEC title game this year.
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alabama. But give a serious call to Georgia. That SEC Title game last year showed how much talent Georgia has.
  • Options

<< <i>As far as preseason polls go, they shouldn't release a poll until after week 6, period. >>

How do you propose that happens? If the AP and Coach's polls were to wait until after week six, how could you restrict some other outlet from stepping in to meet demand by producing polls starting in August?

Alabama is the obvious choice. Agree Georgia does have talent, but still about equal to LSU, South Carolina, A&M. Oregon in the Pac-12 and Ohio State in the Big-whatever. If forced to pick a darkhorse, Stanford maybe
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>As far as preseason polls go, they shouldn't release a poll until after week 6, period. >>

How do you propose that happens? If the AP and Coach's polls were to wait until after week six, how could you restrict some other outlet from stepping in to meet demand by producing polls starting in August? >>

Just like there is now...there are plenty of outlets that provide rankings, but the NCAA would simply state that the BCS rankings are what they will use for determining the national championship and bowl matchups.

However it will never happen. The NCAA and big media partners are more than happy for the 'power' conferences like the SEC to consolidate power.
  • Options
    The Alabama/Georgia SEC Championship was the best game of the year last season. It was the national championship game. Geogia would have won if they had an extra 45 seconds.

In 2011, the best game of the year was the first match up between Alabama and LSU. LSU won that game but it was one of the greatest defensive games I have ever watched. 9 - 6 in OT, what a game. Alabama did win the rematch, which is the one that really counted!!!!

Ole Miss will surprise a few, they are gaining steam.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Alabama/Georgia SEC Championship was the best game of the year last season. It was the national championship game. Geogia would have won if they had an extra 45 seconds.

In 2011, the best game of the year was the first match up between Alabama and LSU. LSU won that game but it was one of the greatest defensive games I have ever watched. 9 - 6 in OT, what a game. Alabama did win the rematch, which is the one that really counted!!!!

Ole Miss will surprise a few, they are gaining steam. >>

I think we only needed an extra 10 seconds.image
  • Options
    Johnny football is doing all he can to make my prediction true
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Buckeyes go undefeated for the second season in a row. Mark it dude.
  • Options

<< <i>Buckeyes go undefeated for the second season in a row. Mark it dude. >>

And afterwards Urban Meyer has the pleasure of watching his team get smoked (enter SEC champ here) in the BCS title game.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Buckeyes go undefeated for the second season in a row. Mark it dude. >>

And afterwards Urban Meyer has the pleasure of watching his team get smoked (enter SEC champ here) in the BCS title game. >>

Even I can't refute that one... lol
  • Options
    I suspect OSU will be a better team this year even though they are unable to improve in the W column.

They should be Big Ten Champs

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    1) I fully expect Ohio State to go undefeated again this season and be in the title game this year.
    2) I don't think Alabama, Georgia, or South Carolina will go undefeated, but I expect 1 of those 3 to win the conference and if that team is a 1-loss team, they'll likely get in.
    3) Louisville has a total cupcake of a schedule this year, so look for them to potentially go 12-0. There will be a controversy at the end of the year of whether or not an undefeated Louisville team deserves to play.

BCS game will be 2 of the 3 above.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    Well what's happening in week 1? Anybody going to a good game? Excited to see any games this weekend on TV? Curious if the SEC will score 100 on one of their division III opponents?
  • Options

<< <i>Well what's happening in week 1? Anybody going to a good game? Excited to see any games this weekend on TV? Curious if the SEC will score 100 on one of their division III opponents? >>

They'll run up the score and then expect the big media to use their supposed tough in conference schedule as why they play such soft out of conference schedules.
  • Options
    Johnny Manziel will sit out of the first half of a meaningless game after he did something at least equally if not worse than the Ohio State players did resulting in multiple suspensions, wins, Bowl eligibility, scholarships, and the loss of the best coach since Woody Hayes. It's the biggest horse-$hit move in college football history.
  • Options

<< <i>Johnny Manziel will sit out of the first half of a meaningless game after he did something at least equally if not worse than the Ohio State players did resulting in multiple suspensions, wins, Bowl eligibility, scholarships, and the loss of the best coach since Woody Hayes. It's the biggest horse-$hit move in college football history. >>

Well I don't know if its worse or not, but this latest episode is just yet another example of how corrupt the entire college football process has become. The NCAA is saying they're not suspending him and saying it's a team decision, but the inclusion of which rule in the NCAA handbook he supposedly violated tells me the NCAA told the team 'suspend him half a game and we'll make this all go away'.

It's ridiculous. Even funnier was the team's website offering to sell a picture of Manziel while at the same time announcing the half-game suspension.

The only people not allowed to make a buck off their likeness or names are the players. However, the school, the NCAA, video game makers, everyone else can profit, but a guy can't make a dime for signing his own name, or his likeness being used to sell tickets/video games/whatever?

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Johnny Manziel will sit out of the first half of a meaningless game after he did something at least equally if not worse than the Ohio State players did resulting in multiple suspensions, wins, Bowl eligibility, scholarships, and the loss of the best coach since Woody Hayes. It's the biggest horse-$hit move in college football history. >>

At this point, they don't have the smoking gun. If one or more of the dealers comes forward with proof, the NCAA will re-open the case and go from there. But for now, Manziel signed over 4,000 items just because he's such a swell guy and had zero financial motivation.

Doesn't matter if we believe that or not.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    I'm ready to watch Jameis Winston debut for my 'Noles and Willie Taggart debut for my Bulls.
  • Options

Yup. If those players were from the sec, I bet the ncaa would've done nothing.

Speaking of the big ten, what were they thinking when they didnt schedule ohio state vs nebraska? That game should be played every year.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As far as preseason polls go, they shouldn't release a poll until after week 6, period. Stop giving teams an early leg up by slotting them into high positions, make EVERY team earn it, as most years every team is wildly different from the previous year. >>

Been begging for this for at least a decade. You are 100% correct.

<< <i>The fact that the SEC gets to coast by with predetermined high rankings is an outrage (and before you start - enough with the 'every week is a war!' nonsense about SEC football). >>

The SEC definitely gets a boost from preseason rankings that then artificially inflate schedule strength. The result is that SEC teams don't get punished for losses as much as other conferences. Some of that is legit - the SEC is definitely the best conference - but a lot of it is BS. The SEC is hardly the top-to-bottom juggernaut it's made out to be.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

How do you propose that happens? If the AP and Coach's polls were to wait until after week six, how could you restrict some other outlet from stepping in to meet demand by producing polls starting in August? >>

Just like there is now...there are plenty of outlets that provide rankings, but the NCAA would simply state that the BCS rankings are what they will use for determining the national championship and bowl matchups.

However it will never happen. The NCAA and big media partners are more than happy for the 'power' conferences like the SEC to consolidate power. >>

You do understand that the BCS is based on other rankings though, right?

I'm not sure there's a way to make it happen. Say the NCAA says "anybody that does a poll before week 6 will not be used in the BCS and will lose their media credentials". OK, fine. But how do you stop them from doing a poll and just not releasing it?
  • Options
    I don't think it'll happen but Michigan has a good shot at being undefeated by the time the Ohio game rolls around. Their early schedule is soft, other than a Notre Dame team I think will struggle, and almost all of their ranked opponents visit Ann Arbor. U of M has to go to East Lansing to play MSU, which will be a tough game. Realistically, they're looking at probably 9-2 heading into Ohio but it could easily be 10-1 or even 11-0. Yeah, 5 losses last year and a lot of that was QB play - which is expected to be a LOT better this year.

All I know is I'm eager for the season to start!
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not sure there's a way to make it happen. Say the NCAA says "anybody that does a poll before week 6 will not be used in the BCS and will lose their media credentials". OK, fine. But how do you stop them from doing a poll and just not releasing it? >>

What would be the point of doing a poll and not releasing it? But I am on board with the idea that the BCS strip either of the two polls which are used in the computation of the rankings.

What point is there to have a ranking that early in the season, anyways? Especially with the turnover in players/coaches, it seems odd that the teams playing in the national title game could conceivably be determined before a single game is played. Wouldn't a much fairer (read: better) way to determine the teams be to wait until half the season has been played, and THEN determine rankings?
  • Options
    Northwestern will be better than anticipated- they have an interesting opener against Cal

• Options
    44-30 is not too bad unless Cal is not what was anticipated.

The verdict on the Big Ten is still out and so far it is not meeting expectations

FWIIW:

I remain an Illini fan/follower and that weighs on my view of the conference

• Options
    Well, the Illini exceeded expectations today with results that could be significant down the road

• Options
    Not a great day for the sec.
  • Options

<< <i>Not a great day for usc. >>

There, changed it for you image
  • Options

<< <i>Not a great day for texas, florida, or notre dame >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Not a great day for texas, florida, or notre dame >>

>>

And south carolina

Been awhile since usc been any good.
  • Options
    Good day for Oregon though. I know UVA is weak but Oregon didn't even look like they were trying and beat them 59-10 with subs playing much of the second half. I think they are deep. I hope they can stay undefeated.