Home Sports Talk
Options

Jeter done?

1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
He's 39 years old, waited 91 games, and hurt himself in one game. Hurting legs and feet aren't exactly conducive to playing the outfield, and the infield positions are all pretty locked up with big time, long term deals. I have to wonder, is this the end?

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Yankees may have rushed him back a bit. Why not wait till after the AS break to activate him? I wouldn't say he's necessarily done, but we are nearing the end, for sure. Fist ballot HOFer, though, as soon as he's eligible.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    image Snuffy strikes again!
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    Snuffy, your are pretty darn funny. Definitely photoshop master on these boards. Don't lose that humor because that's just what we need around here. Lol
  • Options
    One game, back on the disabled list. Nice going, Yankees.

Link
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    He's back on the DL, and he's saying his year is essentially over. He has a player option for next year paying him about $10 million, after that, is he done? I don't see a 40 year old, repeatedly injured Jeter able to play shortstop next year at all. We all saw that he wasn't able to stay healthy this year, even after an extended period of time to get healthy. It would seem to me that he'll do the same next year, get injured, try to come back, only to have this cycle repeat itself.

NY is doing all they can to get under the luxury tax threshold, and I don't see room in their stable for overpaying for someone who holds no value for them, even a player as iconic for the team as Jeter. Does he bow gracefully after next year and retire, or does he pursue his career elsewhere?
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    After 20 seasons in NY, and a body that is clearly breaking down, I doubt he'll play elsewhere. I can't see the Yankees paying him to stick around either. My guess is he'll take his farewell tour around the majors next year and call it quits.