Home Precious Metals
Options

Monster Box question

Looking to purchase a 2008 ASE Monster box locally and have not purchased one in the past. Anything to look out for? Haven't heard of any counterfeits. Worth cutting the bands to check? Anyone have an exact weight of one?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    41 lbs.
    buy from reputable dealer
    not aware of any counterfeit mint sealed straps
    mint sealed boxes are more desired. unless you plan to resell in smaller quantities I would not open.
    I wouldn't be too concerned about the year, to silver investors an ounce is an ounce.
    I buy my sealed boxes from dbscoins.com and tulving.com. DBS is pretty quick to get them out to you, especially if you wire funds. Call and ask for David.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    pwrful4pwrful4 Posts: 282 ✭✭
    Thanks derryb as always. He bought it in 2008 and it is a good deal for me to purchase locally.

Tom
  • Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks derryb as always. He bought it in 2008 and it is a good deal for me to purchase locally.

Tom >>

The market heard you were about to buy and decided to jump for you.
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options
    Thank god I locked in the price, I'm hoping he doesn't back out at the bank in the morning!
  • Options
    vprvpr Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
    If he can provide you with the receipt of his purchase of the box, then it's less likely that the box just has a bunch of rocks inside. Also, mention in your communication that you plan on opening it as soon as you pay him. If he's selling fakes then he might back out to not risk getting caught.
    References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If he can provide you with the receipt of his purchase of the box, then it's less likely that the box just has a bunch of rocks inside. Also, mention in your communication that you plan on opening it as soon as you pay him. If he's selling fakes then he might back out to not risk getting caught. >>

As in on the spot with him/her present. If he is legit, he will have no issues. If she is not legit, she may back out of the deal.

Best.

BTW Do you plan on opening the box?
  • Options

<< <i>If he can provide you with the receipt of his purchase of the box, then it's less likely that the box just has a bunch of rocks inside. Also, mention in your communication that you plan on opening it as soon as you pay him. If he's selling fakes then he might back out to not risk getting caught. >>

If you locked in at lower price do not give seller excuse to back out. If you have concerns on contents of box have seller open it at time of purchase with understanding that you will purchase if the eagles are inside.

• Options
    I didn't plan on opening it, but now I'm worried and feel like I should. Could take a lot of time opening 25 tubes and inspecting every eagle!
  • Options

<< <i>I didn't plan on opening it, but now I'm worried and feel like I should. Could take a lot of time opening 25 tubes and inspecting every eagle! >>

The white mint sealing straps are pretty tough. You can lift the box by the straps. If you are able to do this I would see no need to open it. Ask to see his receipt. He will be hesitent because he doesn't want you to know what he paid. In 2008 he should have paide $7500-8000. Tell him you understand he bought them cheaper, you are just concerned about who sold them to him. Hopefully it was a known reputable dealer. Also, the 20 coins in each tube rattle slightly; makes you think they took one out, but that's normal.

• Options
    Was actually a 2009 Monster Box, completely sealed with the correct markings, straps and weight from a seller I've done business with before.

Thanks for all the replies. Now the real question is, quick flip or keep??
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>Was actually a 2009 Monster Box, completely sealed with the correct markings, straps and weight from a seller I've done business with before.

Thanks for all the replies. Now the real question is, quick flip or keep?? >>

It would be more profitable to sell it by the tube or even singles Eagles.
    A monster box, for obvious reasons, demands a smaller premium.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.....Now the real question is, quick flip or keep?? >>

Impossible for anyone to help you with this question while so many variables have not been stated.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Was actually a 2009 Monster Box, completely sealed with the correct markings, straps and weight from a seller I've done business with before.

Thanks for all the replies. Now the real question is, quick flip or keep?? >>

Sell it when silver hits 24. Buy back at 20. Repeat for the next 2 years.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear