Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

hhmag on CU Apperently has Passed away

2»

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like a great guy that touched many lives. I dont know about most of you but guys like him are the reason I continue to visit this board.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So sad. RIP
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If anyone local who is local to Treverton, PA can find any information about this or can contact his family, I'd be up for trying to put something together to donate to his daughter. >>

Good idea, Mike. For the family, it might not be the money/gift that is important......but letting his family know that hhmag contributed in a positive way to a community like this will remind them how great their dad was. Sometimes family members have no idea what kind of life their parents or children lead when they're not home. A gift would be a way to show his family that he was a positive contributor and was respected. They'll like that.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Very sad news, RIP
  • Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    Only had 1 dealing with Scott. Very sad to hear. RIP, Scott.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is very sad. image

When we lose one of our own - in a sense - it diminishes us all - and at the same time - puts our lives here in perspective - what's truly important and what's not.

Good bye my friend. I'm sure you're with God now.
    Mike
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is very sad. image

When we lose one of our own - in a sense - it diminishes us all - and at the same time - puts our lives here in perspective - what's truly important and what's not.

Good bye my friend. I'm sure you're with God now. >>

Well put, Mike. Be grateful for each day we spend here on this Earth...rest easy, Scott, you will be missed..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Im in for doing something for his daughter. It was confirmed he took his own life so I don't think it's the right time to contact his family.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this. I don't recall having any direct dealings with him but he seemed like he had a positive effect here. R.I.P.
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad to hear. Never had any transactions or long talks with him, but he was the first person to ever send me a PM. I had just joined and broke the rule about bumping once a day. He kindly messaged me to let me know about the rule and to tell me to ignore anyone who gives me a hard time about it. He was very nice about it and seemed like a great guy. RIP
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    SethroSethro Posts: 671 ✭✭
    Wow. I am really upset at hearing this news. I helped Scott with his raw 77 set and he helped me complete my 82 set. I think we swapped some refractors, too. A really good guy to deal with. My heart literally hurts for him and that beautiful child of his.

I do not have a lot, in fact practically nothing left, but when the board feels the time is right I want to contribute something for his little girl.
    Positive transactions: Bighurt2000 - DavidPuddy - ShootyBabitt - Bosox1976 - LarryP - Captainthreeputt - Tedw9 - aconte -EAsports -Johnsteph10 -hhmag70 - depcs - TheThrill22 - scotgreb - longtimemetsfan - cadets68 - augustaman - mcholke - miconelegacy
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I hope I'm not crossing the line for saying this...but I think the other key takeaway here is to make sure that you let the people in your life know that you care about them and that they are important. I'm not just talking about family. People you interact with at work and in life in general. Letting others know that people care and that they are important should be a goal for everyone. I've had 2 High School classmates commit suicide in the past 5 years. From all accounts they lived somewhat normal lives work-wise, but had withdrawn socially in many aspects as well. I think positive affirmation from friends/colleagues helps to combat whatever it is that these people go through.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    McAdams ... well said.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Duplicate post deleted.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sad to hear of someone passing at such a young age. Prayers to his family. >>

+ 1

As many have said, Scott was good people. Thoughts and prayers to his family and may he RIP.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    The fact that he took his own life has really struck me. I didn't see that in him. As I said I had been to his house. I didn't know him very well personally but we talked about things like local card shops, places to eat around town, and different stuff he did for work. I remember we had flooding a couple of years ago and he got it pretty bad. He had over 2 feet of water in his basement. What made it worse was he had started to finish it so all of the work he did would have to be ripped out. He really loved his daughter and I really feel for her right now. I think she turned 5 in February.
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think she turned 5 in February. >>

Just breaks my heart even more.

As a lot of you guys have noted on here, Scott didn't seem the type to take his own life. As I had mentioned before, he and I were the ones that were the "victims" in the clayshooter incident. Every week or so, Scott would send me a PM about getting his cards back and clayshooter refunding all of his money and apologizing profusely in a long PM to Scott...then as soon as I would respond, he would follow up with a "nah, just kidding". There are several board members that I would consider very good friends...Scott was one of those that I wish I could've called that, but never got the chance.

Let's keep this bumped...and make sure we do something for his daughter. I have (2) small kids of my own and they are everything to me, as I am sure she was to Scott. For those who live in that area, if there is anything you can find out that we can do, it would be appreciated.

I raised some money a month or so back for St Jude's Children's hospital. There was an additional $315 that I had earmarked for The Red Cross, but I would absolutely donate to this cause.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We lost a great guy here. Scott was easy to like. Very sad to hear of this news. I will pray for his daughter.
    R.I.P. Scott
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    This is very unfortunate news and truly sad...my heart goes out to his young daughter and loved ones

Never dealt with Scott, but defintely chuckled at quite a few of his posts and also learned something new

on more than one ocassion

I am definitely in to contribute in any way
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I just sent an email to someone who signed his Guest Book. I'll let you know if I get a response.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Everyone,

I know I have not been on the boards all too often in recent years, but I do come by. I liked seeing the list of names on this thread as I recognize most of you. I know some newcomers are also on board.

Samspop, I remember full well the clayshooter fiasco. Scott was definitely one of the good guys on the board. I saw that I did not have any PMs exchanged with him, but he was always a good presence on the board.

I agree with McAdams, that the word should get out what a nice guy he was, it will mean a lot to the family. To those that knew Scott better, Sending a heartfelt card to the family with some anecdotes would be one way to honor him. When my father passed away, I always appreciated when people he had dealt with would share those wonderful anecdotes about him just being a gentleman and doing the right thing. Scott's daughter needs to know what a father she had.

edit for spelling
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope I'm not crossing the line for saying this...but I think the other key takeaway here is to make sure that you let the people in your life know that you care about them and that they are important. I'm not just talking about family. People you interact with at work and in life in general. Letting others know that people care and that they are important should be a goal for everyone. I've had 2 High School classmates commit suicide in the past 5 years. From all accounts they lived somewhat normal lives work-wise, but had withdrawn socially in many aspects as well. I think positive affirmation from friends/colleagues helps to combat whatever it is that these people go through. >>

Agree 100%. I had a close friend who took her own life. The common reaction that the person didn't seem capable of it applied here as well. It was a complete shock. We later found out that she had been keeping a journal where it was evident she was dealing with depression, but she was able to mask it around all of us. I still look back at times and wonder what was going through her mind and what got her to the point where taking her life made sense.

I didn't have any communication with Scott, but I feel terrible for his family and daughter. Mcadams, you hit the nail on the head.
  • Options
    I'm bumping this too the first page. I hope we can find out some info on a donation set up for his daughter. I certainly want to contribute like many of you.

Hope we get some info.

Good night.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm troubled by the picture of that little girl being here. I'm not sure she should be pasted in this or any other message board.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm troubled by the picture of that little girl being here. I'm not sure she should be pasted in this or any other message board. >>

I respect that and took it down, I only posted it because Scott used it as his profile pic on this board.
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    I did not know Scott, and haven't been a frequent poster but am compelled to add 2 cents. My brother-in-law took his own life 2 years ago this coming August without any signs that those around him could've detected.

McAdams......well said.

Eric (ejguru)
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm troubled by the picture of that little girl being here. I'm not sure she should be pasted in this or any other message board. >>

Why?? It was his avatar so he didn't seem to have an issue with it being seen or wherever else he used it. Calm down.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear. Let him rest in peace. And prayers for the family
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Why?? It was his avatar so he didn't seem to have an issue with it being seen or wherever else he used it. Calm down. >>

It was his avatar, his choice and very small. He's no longer here and that picture was full size. Not our business so I'd prefer to see it gone as well
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    I too had not recently dealt with Scott, but in looking back at my pm's saw that we had indeed conducted several heritage transactions over the years. Always friendly and easy to deal with, I wish his family peace, and hope they get some sort of inkling of the high regard in which he was held throughout this online community.
  • Options
    SethroSethro Posts: 671 ✭✭
    Some members brought up the idea of doing something for Scott's daughter, but then this thread trailed off. I don't know if something was arranged off-board, but if not and if anyone is still interested in donating or something I'm in.
    Positive transactions: Bighurt2000 - DavidPuddy - ShootyBabitt - Bosox1976 - LarryP - Captainthreeputt - Tedw9 - aconte -EAsports -Johnsteph10 -hhmag70 - depcs - TheThrill22 - scotgreb - longtimemetsfan - cadets68 - augustaman - mcholke - miconelegacy
  • Options
    jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭

<< <i>Some members brought up the idea of doing something for Scott's daughter, but then this thread trailed off. I don't know if something was arranged off-board, but if not and if anyone is still interested in donating or something I'm in. >>

I PM's the niece on Blowout Forums under hhmag's SN. I asked her if there was a fund set up for his daughter. She said she didn't know how to do that. I told her to do to the local bank and ask them and they could set it up for her. I never heard back.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was a bit unsure of my experience with Scott and then I looked at my PMs as it seemed familiar to me. My heart dropped as Scott gave me a very nice stitched Cardinals jersey right after Christmas this last year. I was thinking it would be a jersey shirt of some kind and the quality that he simply just gave me left me speechless when I opened the package. I am a huge Cardinals fan and that jersey was instantly loved as the only other nice stitched jersey is one of Albert Pujols (that lost a bit of significance for the time being with his exit to California). I was just in Oakland last weekend and brought the jersey with me as I watched all three games of the series. I dearly treasure my Cardinals and now knowing the circumstance of losing a CU board member it is quite humbling to me to own that jersey today. RIP Scott as I will think of you often as I will wear and display my Cardinals jersey I got from you with a pride many will not understand. >>

I am the owner of the second Cardinals jersey that Scott gave away. I still have the jersey displayed. So, so sad.

Shane

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was a bit unsure of my experience with Scott and then I looked at my PMs as it seemed familiar to me. My heart dropped as Scott gave me a very nice stitched Cardinals jersey right after Christmas this last year. I was thinking it would be a jersey shirt of some kind and the quality that he simply just gave me left me speechless when I opened the package. I am a huge Cardinals fan and that jersey was instantly loved as the only other nice stitched jersey is one of Albert Pujols (that lost a bit of significance for the time being with his exit to California). I was just in Oakland last weekend and brought the jersey with me as I watched all three games of the series. I dearly treasure my Cardinals and now knowing the circumstance of losing a CU board member it is quite humbling to me to own that jersey today. RIP Scott as I will think of you often as I will wear and display my Cardinals jersey I got from you with a pride many will not understand. >>

I am breaking out the jersey tonight for my fellow CU member who treated me right and if I only knew..... I usually do not wear nice jerseys when I am on my own recliner but Cardinals need a little mojo and I can thank Scott no matter what happens tonight. I am sure people on the boards do not know, but in the last year I have worked in Suicide Prevention and have presented for my community that I live in on how to intervene and how to recognize warning signs, etc. What to say and not to say to someone in distress..... Peace my friend.

I apologize to everyone for quoting myself in a message. I just felt that the moment was right for me to think of Scott and what he did for me and now I think of him when I think about the Cardinals and the jersey that I intend to always own......a true collectible with plenty of sentiment.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Rob,

Very nice way to remember Scott (RIP my friend).
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    How old was he?? I never dealt with him, but kind of remember him on here.
  • Options
    I am a newbie, so I didn't have any interaction with him, but this makes me so sad. I can't imagine how painful this must be for his family. May he rest in peace.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Rob

I've never posted a PM before but here's one I got from Scott last Christmas Eve:

"Hey Mike

Just wondering what size jersey you would wear? I have a Red Sox in a large if it would fit that I would send you.

Scott"

and my reply:

"Hi Scott

Thanks but I'm actually just a little guy. A medium would probably be a little big on me

much appreciated though

Merry Christmas

Mike"

If I had accepted it, I'd be wearing it right now. Hope he found a good home for it

RIP Scott
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm too new to know any of you that well, unless we crossed paths on another board, but it reminds me of a discussion I had on another board.

We sometimes spend a great deal of time on these sites, trading, selling or discussing our hobby. Most of us probably have few to no "local" friends that share the same passion for the hobby, so our online friends fill that void. Sometimes we end up meeting people from the boards and becoming real life friends too, which is a bonus, but many of us will only know each other by screen names and mailing addresses.

That said, many people do come and go from these sites as interests change and free time dictates. Sometimes people announce their departure,s for various reasons others just disappear silently, leaving everyone to wonder what happened to them. I was aware of 4-5 people passing away from another board I frequented and know that as time passes, with a predominately older collecting crown, those number swill rise significantly.

39 is way too young though, I can say this with confidence. Sorry to hear.
    I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike,

I got a very similar offer from him the same day. I told him that a Majestic in the size he had would be a little snug on me. Like you, I hope he found a good home for the jersey.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott was a really nice guy. Really sad story.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry I didn't get the time to know him better. We should all take the time to get to know each other better.
    I try off and on with not much luck.
  • Options
    I was sorry to read about this. Best wishes to his family.