Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1981 Japanese Marusho Pro Wrestling Set

This is a new set I discovered a few weeks ago...the 1981 Japanese Marusho Pro Wrestling Set. This is the Marusho entry into the pro wrestling mini card market. Yamakatsu had the 1974 and 1976 sets....Amada debuted with the 1978 Kings of the Square Ring set. I've only have seen three cards so far from this set. Cards measure 5.5cmx7.5 cm.

1. Mil Mascaras
2. Tiger Mask
3. Tiger Mask and unknown opponent

Comments

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Your killing me, I'm about done finding wrestling cards to collect and then you keep digging up more information on cards that I should be collecting!!!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Your killing me, I'm about done finding wrestling cards to collect and then you keep digging up more information on cards that I should be collecting!!! >>

I stumbled across these, but paid a good amount for them. Usually I can pick 4-card lots up for a song, but I think that the rarity of this set is known among the Japanese collectors.
  • Options
    I don't recall seeing these....very cool. Get to work! image
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    I wish they were numbered so we know what we are up against. It'd be cool if there was a Hulk Hogan in this set.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. I'm interested to see a checklist.. A hogan or flair would be awesome
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    The no numbers on these cards that I know of (unless it is in Japanese) makes this quite difficult to checklist....Grrrrr
  • Options
    PS- The dice is interesting!!!
  • Options

<< <i>The no numbers on these cards that I know of (unless it is in Japanese) makes this quite difficult to checklist....Grrrrr >>

It does and nothing written on the back for numbering the set. The dice was a game kids could play...not sure of the pro wrestling rules...but was popular with baseball. In essence you would draw cards and the dice would indicate a certain play or move. There is likely a decoder or rule card out there. The dice was common with the Marusho sets.
  • Options
    Sumo gave me his duplicate of Tiger Mask, thank you very much. I just bought the signed Tiger Mask All Star off the Navarro so it is a "Tiger Mask Week". Thanks again.
  • Options
    No problem. I'm looking forward to finding more of this set in the future.
  • Options
    We're you able to find out any more about who else is in the set?
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Not yet. By far one of the rarest sets out there so it will be a challenge.
  • Options
    any other word on this set?
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tiger Mask

He made is debut April 23, 1981. That means these cards must be from 1981 or later.
  • Options
    Good catch. I'll make sure I update the year. Thanks!
  • Options
    Here is a set I've been working on for a few months. The top three right cards are ones I've had before. I picked up the other six recently including a Hulk Hogan! The backs have the age of wrestlers on some of them. Hogan is listed as 27 years old. Terry Funk is listed as 35. With Tiger Mask debuting in 1981 it seems this set was printed in the summer of 1981. The cards measure approximately 2" x 3".

Checklist:
    1. Tiger Mask - Back Kick
    2. Tiger Mask - Arm Raised
    3. Tiger Mask vs Solar
    4. Tiger Mask and Mil Mascaras
    5. Tiger Mask - Over Opponent
    6. El Canek
    7. Mil Mascaras
    8. Terry Funk
    9. Hulk Hogan

• Options

<< <i>Very cool. I'm interested to see a checklist.. A hogan or flair would be awesome >>

Well look what Sumo found....now to increase the value of these they need to find their way into a slab........
  • Options
    I almost wish they were from 1982 so I wouldn't want it Haha. I need to get one first then start debate with psa. Hopefully it won't be as difficult as the getting the yamakatsu slabbed.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, a few have staple holes in them, but since these are so rare I'll take what I can get.
  • Options
    I don't think that I would be too worried about it, just having them is pretty cool.
  • Options
    The staple holes appear to be from the same staples they used to seal the packs. Hopefully I can snag some more!
  • Options
    I found two more cards from this set(in bold and with scans). The checklist now stands at 11.

1. Tiger Mask - Back Kick
    2. Tiger Mask - Arm Raised
    3. Tiger Mask vs Solar
    4. Tiger Mask and Mil Mascaras
    5. Tiger Mask - Over Opponent
    6. Tiger Mask vs Gran Hamada
    7. El Canek
    8. Mil Mascaras - Close up
    9. Mil Mascaras - Arms on Hips
    10. Terry Funk
    11. Hulk Hogan

• Options
    Set Checklist update 31 August 2014.

Checklist:
    Andre the Giant
    Antonio Inoki - Foot Hold
    Antonio Inoki - Grappling
    El Canek - Arms Raised
    El Canek - Hands on Hips
    Hulk Hogan
    Mil Mascaras - Close up
    Mil Mascaras - Arms on Hips
    Solar? - Jumping with Hands out Front
    Stan Hansen
    Terry Funk
    Tiger Mask - Suit
    Tiger Mask - Suit Looking Up
    Tiger Mask - Right Arm Raised, Left Hand on Hip
    Tiger Mask - Right Arm Raised, Left Hand on Stomach
    Tiger Mask - Back Kick
    Tiger Mask - Top Rope
    Tiger Mask - Throwing Solar
    Tiger Mask - Yellow Cape
    Tiger Mask vs Solar
    Tiger Mask and Mil Mascaras
    Tiger Mask - Over Opponent
    Tiger Mask vs Gran Hamada
    Tiger Mask - Suplex
    Tiger Mask - Looking Up
    Unknown - (Card is to the left of Andre the Giant)
    Unknown - (With Trophy over head)

• Options
    Any updates to this set Sumo?
  • Options
    I was thinking about this set after the thread of the new Andre card from the early 70s. Would love to se the hogan in this set find its way into a slab.
  • Options

<< <i>I was thinking about this set after the thread of the new Andre card from the early 70s. Would love to se the hogan in this set find its way into a slab. >>

I would like to get that Andre in a slab too
  • Options
    Sadly, no updates from this set, but I haven't been looking too closely either. I think the 31 August checklist is the latest we have on the set.