Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Poppage - Jackie Robinson Style

Just got this order in today's mail.

1 1 21502206 EXCELLENT 5 1954 TOPPS 10 JACKIE ROBINSON GRAY BACK Card - 1/1 - Only 1 Graded Higher! - Sold my PSA3 for $915 a few weeks back.
2 1 21502207 EXCELLENT 5 1947 BOND BREAD JACKIE ROBINSON JACKIE ROBINSON FIELDING, BALL IN GLOVE Card - Was an SGC50!
3 1 21502208 EXCELLENT 5 1947 BOND BREAD JACKIE ROBINSON JACKIE ROBINSON RUNNING DOWN BASELINE Card - Was an SGC40!!!!

Both Bond Breads were SGC crackouts. The Gray Back I bought raw off eBay. Only problem is PSA mixed up the labels for the Ball in Glove and Running Down the Baseline. Will they correct that free of charge? Not really sure how they mixed that one up lol.

And now for the scans...

Comments

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Great cards. Are the gray backs more rare?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Good grief Charley Brown, that is a beauty right there on that 54 Robinson. I just saw the movie last week as well. Not too shabby.
  • Options

<< <i>Good grief Charley Brown, that is a beauty right there on that 54 Robinson. I just saw the movie last week as well. Not too shabby. >>

Thanks! I saw the movie for the 2nd time last week. I enjoyed it just as much as the first viewing, though I still think the ending was way over the top.
  • Options

<< <i>Great cards. Are the gray backs more rare? >>

David,

The gray backs are much tougher than the cream colored backs - both in terms of scarcity and condition. To give you an idea...

For Jackie Robinson:

There are 2,509 regular colored backs graded with close to 1000 being a 6 or better.

There are 6 gray backs graded, with just 2 being a 5 or better (6 being the highest)

For Ted Williams card #1:

There are 2,367 regular backs graded, and just 6 gray backs graded. (4.5 being the highest)

For Yogi Berra,

There are 1,512 regular backs graded, and just 5 gray backs graded. (6 being the highest)
  • Options
    That's just Awesome!! That Gray back is worth some good money.

Way to go!!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Great Job Shaun, Does that leave 2?
  • Options
    Yankees001Yankees001 Posts: 1,496

image >>

These need sent back for reholder. the flips are on the wrong card.

Dave

Nice cards.
  • Options
    Yankees001Yankees001 Posts: 1,496
    PSA will correct this for free.

On your sub, mark it as a mechanical Error. If you call them they will send you vouchers for free grading for the price of your shipping back to them. They will send back to you at no cost.

Dave
  • Options
    Thanks - will send them back on Monday.

Matt - It does leave just 2 more - but one of them is the Portrait Facsimile, which is probably the easiest to track down. The Throwing variation will be the big challenge.

Shaun
  • Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    GREAT post and thanks for sharing. Scans and posts like this are what make me love this board!

What can you guys tell me about the 47 Bond Bread cards. I have the 1948 Leaf in my rookie card collection but figure I need to learn about these and decide if I should swap out.
    Hook'em
  • Options
    Thanks DetroitSquirrel - love the pic of you and Lance!

hookem - I've done quite a bit of research on the Bond Bread set, though more still needs to be done. I have a letter ready to send out to Rachel Robinson on Monday to see if she can shed some more light on the set.

Most of my research can be found in this post on net54: http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=171169 Revisiting the 1947 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson Release Date

To sum it all up - I believe that the set was released over the period of a few years. The one card that I am almost 99% sure was released in 1947 was the Portrait-Facsimile card (the most common of the 13).

Shaun
  • Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Thanks for link. Great info.
    Hook'em
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    What a beautiful trifecta! I wish he would have had a Giants card!
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'