Home Sports Talk
Options

Best player over 36....Ibanez or Pujols ?

Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
I actually think this is a legit question. I'm really starting to wonder a certain player's age. To me it appears that Pujols is declining with age.....it just shouldn't be from 29-32 years old. This looks like the decline from 34-37.

Comments

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of Pujols, his official bio says he's 33 years old. How old do people believe he really is?
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Jimmy Foxx and Eddie Matthews had similar declines in their early 30s.

I personally prefer the "steroids make you go bald, therefore, everyone who's gone bald is on steroids" approach. image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jimmy Foxx and Eddie Matthews had similar declines in their early 30s.

I personally prefer the "steroids make you go bald, therefore, everyone who's gone bald is on steroids" approach. image >>

Wow Killebrew went bald in his early 20's around the year 1963 he must have been a juicer too!

You learn something new every day on these boards.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Powerful! George Costanza is so powerful he can lift 100 pounds right up over his head

Best player over 36 had to be Carlos Beltran. Thirty six is also age Mickey Mantle retired after a quick and steep decline
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    With the improvements in training, diet, and overall knowledge of mechanics and health in general, the typical decline has been staved off in most sports. Players and trainers today know infinitely more than they did even in the 70s and 80s.

But today? I'd take Ibanez. Not just for production but for cost. Ibanez is going to net the M's some valuable trade pieces at the deadline.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Giants fans talking about possible steroids when they were king of it with Balco is sort of funny..... even last year they had two guys with PED suspensions, if MLB were the NCAA their title would be vacant or they would have been ineligible for the postseason.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>Giants fans talking about possible steroids when they were king of it with Balco is sort of funny..... even last year they had two guys with PED suspensions, if MLB were the NCAA their title would be vacant or they would have been ineligible for the postseason. >>

Riiight as if the Giants are the only team with PED users.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Danny ... I guess you are talking about non-pitchers. Because if it were ANY MLB player, I think you'd agree that it is Mariano.

Edited to add: I'm not a Red Sox fan, but at age 37 David Ortiz is putting up some great numbers.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Giants fans talking about possible steroids when they were king of it with Balco is sort of funny..... even last year they had two guys with PED suspensions >>

If you wanna talk about steroids, you need the opinion of Bay Area sports fan. We've got a lot more experience with this sort of thing (Canseco, McGwire, Giambi, Bonds, Melky, etc). image

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Even though he's in the minors, let's not forget about Texas and Manny. Everything is bigger in Texas, including their love of juicers....
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I love your response Digicat, just busting your chops a bit. The Bay Area has been one of the leaders...but maybe Biogenesis will change all that!!! It is strange seeing the Giants struggle so much but that is what makes the victories all the sweeter, good luck to your club!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Both of these guys need to pick up the phone and call Julio Franco. That guy could still hit and run the bases well at age 40.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Speaking of Pujols, his official bio says he's 33 years old. How old do people believe he really is? >>

Based upon other regional players historically fudging their birth certificates or stealing/assuming identities, I think the range could be 2 to 7 years.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Speaking of Pujols, his official bio says he's 33 years old. How old do people believe he really is? >>

Based upon other regional players historically fudging their birth certificates or stealing/assuming identities, I think the range could be 2 to 7 years. >>

I wouldn't be surprised if Fandango brings out one of his alts to counter-attack these wild allegations! image
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Funny to see this. I was putting together my flops of 2013 and Pujols is my first baseman. I believe he is four years older than his BC says. No facts, just a guess.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Pujols' contract only goes through 2021. LOL!
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Based upon other regional players historically fudging their birth certificates or stealing/assuming identities, I think the range could be 2 to 7 years. >>

I wouldn't be surprised if Fandango brings out one of his alts to counter-attack these wild allegations! image >>

Archived.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    I've been a Cardinal fan ..forever and I wasn't sad to see Albert go to LA. He WAS a great player and I see him retiring before his contract ends. A DH is not a full time player and may help him through the years.
    I'm not a vigilante, I'm an undocumented border patrol agent!
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul !

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mariano Rivera and David Ortiz get my votes.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>Mariano Rivera and David Ortiz get my votes. >>

Since this debate is between Rauuuulllll and Poolhose....yeah, nevermind
  • Options
    I vote for Raul Ibanez, not that he played for any teams I liked or anything.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Carlos Beltran. easy one.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !