Home Autographs Forum
Options

Very Questionable Certified Pink Floyd Autographs!

Hello,

Look at this item PSA/DNA certified item- Waters/Gilmour "Signed" Delicate Sound of Thunder VHS Cover

Well, I was there for the filming for this world tour closing series of shows at Nassau Coliseum - every night - August 1988 - I remember that.

I also remember Gilmour & Waters had just finished suing each other (again) and the band had recently broke apart legally with much acrimony, legally and personally, which would continue past 1988. Waters despised this tour, calling it a "fake" (he was right). Now, WHY would Waters sign this??? Both signatures bear only passing resemblance to the genuine item - this item, signed by these two artists, is to me, like having a signed photo printed...after the death of the signer. It is just inconceivable. I would pass on this no matter what the signatures or who certified them.
What do you think?

Best wishes,
Eric

Comments

• Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    You are right --I can't believe Roger Waters would sign a Delicate Sound of Thunder item.

I am not an autograph expert nor much of a collector--but my gut reaction would be that PSA screwed up that authentication--and that might be Richard "Rick" Wright's autograph (not Roger Waters). The "R" makes me think of Richard's style of writing after doing an internet search of his auto.

Look at the Rick's "R" in this band autographed item:

Again--I don't claim to be an autograph guy--so if I am wrong, I apologize--but it makes so much more sense that Rick would sign that item instead of Roger.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Hello,

That is a clear and poor attempt at a Roger signature on the VHS.
    I am sorry to say - the item you posted is "problematic" indeed - barely any resemblance to genuine signatures and all by the same hand too. Incredibly bad. image 60 days guarantee (should be LIFE, like items I sell), 20% restocking fee, so on. All the red flags. All best case scenario signatures - look at the names. Everything everyone wants. You should see these red flags things a mile away! image

Edit to add: A few moments Google confirms what I say - PLEASE read: "...I've never seen an autograph on their site that I thought was genuine. - Steve Cyrkin Autograph Magazine" - "...seller belongs in jail..."

Below is a genuine Roger Waters signed album, vintage, signed the final night of this tours first outing. Authenticated by me, bought from "Stephanie" for all of $39 on eBay image:

Roger Waters signed Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, promo pressing, black felt tip, obtained in Canada, 1984 (Not for sale) The dedication and inscription are of equal/more value with regard to authentication here than the signature itself.

Best wishes and thank you joining this thread! image
    Eric
  • Options
    Things to be learned from this thread:

All things certified are not necessarily genuine.

Self education, knowledge of the subject and vigilance will pay off greatly - in this case knowing the music and band members relationships reveal all - w/o even seeing the signatures (which are terrible on the VHS and the band signed album). You should know the appearance and habits of the signature/signer by doing research.

Google can save you in under a minute. This has been shown several times in this Forum.

Some "dealers" are just liars. Insist on lifetime guarantee, but be able to know for yourself what is genuine or try at least. Read the small print. 20% re-stocking fees are for suckers IMHO. Why would there be such a policy - many returns?? WHY?

DO NOT buy on the weight of a certification - learn and know what you are doing - decide for yourself!

Best wishes,
    Eric

PS - A fun exercise. Take a cancelled check with your signature and ask some friends to copy your own autograph. Scan them all, and scan 10 of your own signed checks, and view them upside down and backward simultaneously in a Photo-program. See the results. "Rinse and repeat" image
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I'm a little confused by your posts here, Eric ... are you saying that AkbarClone's example is a fake?

<< <i>I am sorry to say - the item you posted is "problematic" indeed >>

Because it looks like you are the one who posted the VHS with the questionable signature. I am simply trying to learn which is the fake and which is the real deal.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Hi, I think I can answer LochNESS inquiry (please correct me Eric if I am not clear)

He first posted the PSA authenticated VHS cover because he feels the Waters auto does not look right (plus Waters would probably never sign that particular item).

I then posted the album cover with autographs, which I found using a google image search looking for examples of Rick Wright's autograph. He alerted us to the fact that the album cover is also very problematic--especially since the seller of that item has a reputation issue.

Thus, both items seem "fishy".

He then posted the third image of an autograph of Waters, just for an example of a legit auto to compare to the first 2 images.

I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options

<< <i>Hi, I think I can answer LochNESS inquiry (please correct me Eric if I am not clear)

He first posted the PSA authenticated VHS cover because he feels the Waters auto does not look right (plus Waters would probably never sign that particular item).

I then posted the album cover with autographs, which I found using a google image search looking for examples of Rick Wright's autograph. He alerted us to the fact that the album cover is also very problematic--especially since the seller of that item has a reputation issue.

Thus, both items seem "fishy".

He then posted the third image of an autograph of Waters, just for an example of a legit auto to compare to the first 2 images. >>

Exactly say it - those first two are demonstrably forgeries. image

Thanks for joining in image

Eric
  • Options
    Got it. Did not realize the album cover was a google search result, thought it was your way of providing an example of the real deal. Now I see image

image ~Nick
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Yeah, those are very bad forgeries. And the one of the Delicate Sound of Thunder just stupidity in placement. Knowledge is always key, one way or another.

Eric
  • Options
    It's too bad they will likely succeed in selling it to an unsuspecting teenage fan for all the allowance in their piggy bank which they earned mowing lawns for an entire Summer vacation ... the things people will do to make a quick buck ...

It's like when someone steals tools out of a work truck in the parking lot of Home Depot, you're not just stealing property, you're taking away their ability to earn a living and put food on the table for their family. In this example, you're not just swindling them, you're taking advantage of their emotions and adoration for the music or whatever the case may be. It's low and shameful.

Sorry to tear off on a rant but that $hit breaks my heart every time ...
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    It's true - and look at that stock! image
    That's is why it is key to spread education in this hobby.

Eric
  • Options

<< <i>Things to be learned from this thread:

All things certified are not necessarily genuine.

Self education, knowledge of the subject and vigilance will pay off greatly - in this case knowing the music and band members relationships reveal all - w/o even seeing the signatures (which are terrible on the VHS and the band signed album). You should know the appearance and habits of the signature/signer by doing research.

Google can save you in under a minute. This has been shown several times in this Forum.

Some "dealers" are just liars. Insist on lifetime guarantee, but be able to know for yourself what is genuine or try at least. Read the small print. 20% re-stocking fees are for suckers IMHO. Why would there be such a policy - many returns?? WHY?

DO NOT buy on the weight of a certification - learn and know what you are doing - decide for yourself!

Best wishes,
    Eric

PS - A fun exercise. Take a cancelled check with your signature and ask some friends to copy your own autograph. Scan them all, and scan 10 of your own signed checks, and view them upside down and backward simultaneously in a Photo-program. See the results. "Rinse and repeat" image >>

Thread topic (self education, not the Floyds) bumped for potential newer collectors.

Eric
  • Options
    Just looking at that lovely blonde again, and suddenly seeing something I never saw before - Did they cut out her face? I'm pretty sure they did. Obviously before photoshop, but that hair line just isn't natural on the bottom right (where her chin/cheek would be visible).
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Hello image

Yes, she is faceless. She is model Linzi Drew. It is a photo but so airbrushed as to appear a drawing. Perhaps a comment on the first wife, of the girl in the song, or the second wife, and also in keeping with Storm Thurgeson's imagery from Pink Floyd ala the images from Wish You Where Here. Remember? The man diving into water with no splash and so on. Many of those images express absence. But this is certainly by Gerald Scarfe who did the Wall - look at that font.

Eric image
  • Options
    Yes, now that you mention it, those images are coming back to me. That makes sense of course, yes! Very artistic. When I first saw the image, I simply thought she was looking to her left / away in the other direction. But today I saw that hairline and realized it was purposefully absent. My first reaction was, "she must've requested her face be hidden to protect her anonymity" but I guess that's silly. Any model who makes the cover of a Floyd album would surely want to benefit from the publicity.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>Yes, now that you mention it, those images are coming back to me. That makes sense of course, yes! Very artistic. When I first saw the image, I simply thought she was looking to her left / away in the other direction. But today I saw that hairline and realized it was purposefully absent. My first reaction was, "she must've requested her face be hidden to protect her anonymity" but I guess that's silly. Any model who makes the cover of a Floyd album would surely want to benefit from the publicity. >>

Hiya,

You know, one of my favorite images from Floyd,part from the usual stuff, is the photo from the inner sleeve from...The Final Cut. is it? The bit of red fabric blowing in sunshine among trees.
    Did you see Waters do Dark Side in 2006/07? I was very impressed with the lighting. The cover for Dark Side was recreated live...hard to describe. Here is what I saw. It looks much less impressive on film. In person, this thing seemed to blister and burn the sky and then emitted a rotating, "scanning" Borg-like rainbow through smoke:

Waters prism video Dark Side of the Moon

Eric image
  • Options
    Wow. That's awesome. The giant floating prism is really cool image and I love how the pure white and rainbow beams come out. Very creative. Thanks for posting that video link!!!!!!!

NO, did not see that concert. I'm usually playing concerts of my own and therefore rarely get to see other performances. We go to the occasional matinee and watch movies online. Maybe 3-4 concerts a year as fans. It's hard when your job is to work during everyone else's "off" hours.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE